Poor selection

Yes but do you think if carson was in goal he would let 2 in but you think roos will be our no1 next season why we been lonked with about 4 keepers since we finished the season 

4 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Yet he’s holding out for first team football and an improvwd contract, show him the game and tell him to sign or jog on 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Lampard got it wrong today, it's alright fluttering your eyelids at the Chelsea job but you have to learn your trade. It took Brian Clough 3 years before he managed in the old first division. Starting Mason Bennett up front and not Marriott was suicide. All the best to Villa, let's start again with a fresh youthful squad next year. Up the Fuc#ing Rams! 

Agreed, I would have started with the diamond with Bradders holding and Waggers and Marriott up top. However, still might have worked had they not been gifted the second...fine margins....

1 hour ago, wixman1884 said:

Get out. We matched them. Game was a coin flip. Didn't go for us. It happens. See you next season

Hope you had a brill day regardless of result mate, know you travelled a long way for it! 

They scored one good goal. The second was a complete 'clanger' from Roos. It was an easy catch but he fluffed it and will know it.TBF I just hope Roos is OK and not treated appallingly by some Rams fans, after all we know what happened with Keogh. 

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Hope you had a brill day regardless of result mate, know you travelled a long way for it! 

Yeah the event was incredible. We played some good stuff at times and it could have gone either way. If it ended 2-0 I'd feel pretty different, but we showed our worth in the last 20. We go again

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Let’s not be that type of fan. He tried something different and it didn’t quite come off. Bennett was used to upset Mings, it nearly came off but didn’t quite work. Presumably the plan was to then bring Marriott on when everyone was tiring to effect the game. It didn’t quite work, but it’s been a great season when we expected to be no where near where we are. Appreciate what we have done, not what could have been as we expected nothing

Upset Mings, are you taking the mickey, Mings didn’t break sweat, he never troubled him. Only when Marriott came on did  Mings even start to look troubled. 

1 hour ago, wixman1884 said:

Get out. We matched them. Game was a coin flip. Didn't go for us. It happens. See you next season

Absolutely, as I said elsewhere, some people just need to blame - Wouldn't have taken much for us to win today but we didn't, gutted but in remembering that I did think it was a bit too early!

25 minutes ago, SWRam said:

As others have said, Lampard got it wrong today.

To have a chance, you need to attack at some point. At 2-0 down we were still faffing around in our own half.

No urgency even after we got a goal back.

Eh? Just eh?

What game were you watching to say there was no urgency? Man alive.

20 minutes ago, Gap tooth ram said:

The hindsight merchants out in full force, bravo.

“Hindsight merchants”. . . Give over 

any man and his dog could see that starting without a recognised striker was suicide. Are we supposed to bounce no matter what Frank gets wrong? 

As everyone's allowed an opinion, wrong or not, mine is that Frank got selection spot on today. Not only does he know more than anyone on here whether players are actually fully fit or not (rather than just appearing to be 'hungry' in their 20 minutes on the pitch) but he also appears to appreciate that a football match is played over 90+ minutes and you can win through the efforts of those that start but not necessarily finish the game.

I thought Mason Bennett as a lone striker gave their centre halves a difficult time. He ran in behind, muscled them, won headers and generally gave them an uncomfortable afternoon. Marriott and Waghorn benefitted from that work later on.

Huddlestone had an effective first half, less so in the second and was taken off; Bradley consistently effective throughout; Bogle a nervous first 15/20 and settled into the game; Cole steady throughout despite carrying a knock of some sort; Mount excellent; Roos made a mistake for the second and Bogle for the first - two young, inexperienced players in the biggest game of their careers so far. If you're  going to knock young players for making mistakes then next season won't be much fun for you when Bird, Thomas, Sibley and co start to make more appearances.

Frank's a young manager too. Yet he made some effective decisions and changes in personnel and system through the match. The players clearly responded and for the last 20 minutes there was only one team in it. This against a side full of experienced players who have scored 7 goals against us this season without reply. Today we pushed them.

And all this from a club that a year ago was knocked out in the play off semi final with fans and team and management in internal strife playing a brand of football that was, at best, workmanlike. The transformation in a single season has been significant. That side would not have beaten Leeds in the second leg.

So, if you're cheesed off tonight go away and have a summer off. Keep your negativity to yourself and be quietly proud instead of how far we've come, because in about 10 short weeks it starts all over again.

Do we really think Mount and Tomori will walk into the Chelsea team, and Wilson is nowhere near good enough to get into the Liverpool first team. I’m not saying all three haven’t got bags of potential, but like Frank they should be part of the 3 year plan at Derby. Everyone is seeing it as a given they won’t be here next season.

Where did Lampard flutter his eyelids at the chelsea job? And let’s be fair, if it was offered, why wouldn’t he? I would in his position, much as I don’t think he’d ready. 

I think the striker call was a difficult one but I think Lampard got it wrong, Marriott had to be in there somewhere. FWIW tho I don’t think it was entirely the initial selection that killed us, the setup was too negative like the first leg against Leeds and lessons didn’t seem to have been learned. Wasn’t so much personnel as tactics again. Particularly after half time when we didn’t switch it up with a striker introduced quick enough. That was the spell that killed us imo, without those 15 minutes that game is pretty even and we could’ve nicked it.

Very frustrating we fall again at the last hurdle to fine margins and individual errors. Seems to almost be a curse.

29 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Upset Mings, are you taking the mickey, Mings didn’t break sweat, he never troubled him. Only when Marriott came on did  Mings even start to look troubled. 

Bennett deserves his place as much as anyone. Not interested in the ‘I told you so’ arguments.

Archived