Poor selection

34 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I don't think anyone is wrong to have an opinion. I just don't think 30 minutes after the end of a season where it's clear everyone has done their best is the right time to come and start spreading negativity.

Go back a week and see how many posters were saying the result didn't matter, overall it had been a great season and there would be no stick dished out.

Is the forum half full of liars?

Get your points ...still got to wait for the Franks out of his depth threads soon lol ...my own thoughts are that it just didn’t happen in the first half and I personally would’ve changed Huddlestone at half time but forgot Lawrence was even playing until ten mins into the second half so it wasn’t working but we tried something different ...as I’ve said I’d like to see Marriott and Waghorn up top all season next season as I think they’re capable of getting 20 each next season it’s all ifs and buts though and  I’ve enjoyed the season 

agree though posting straight away after a game can be fuelled by emotion ..we all do it sometimes I guess 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Oh you’ve been on here years so you know best.

Your argument is poor, Frank made a mistake, saying he’s not fit is a smokescreen.   The last two games against Villa have nothing to do with it, Mount didn’t play did he either. 

I’m not accusing you of being a Lampard bum boy, I’m accusing you have not having a bloody clue mate

Why don't you just answer the question?

What were the last 2 results against Villa with Jack starting up front?

4 minutes ago, Saity said:

Get your points ...still got to wait for the Franks out of his depth threads soon lol ...my own thoughts are that it just didn’t happen in the first half and I personally would’ve changed Huddlestone at half time but forgot Lawrence was even playing until ten mins into the second half so it wasn’t working but we tried something different ...as I’ve said I’d like to see Marriott and Waghorn up top all season next season as I think they’re capable of getting 20 each next season it’s all ifs and buts though and  I’ve enjoyed the season 

agree though posting straight away after a game can be fuelled by emotion ..we all do it sometimes I guess 

If you look at my post on the matchday thread, my comment was either Huddlestone or Bradley needed to be sacrificed to get some width down the left.

Unfortunately I'm getting dragged into arguments by idiots.

My main point is cut the nastiness and the negativity. People like Shaftsbury St seem happier dishing the stick out.

I'll tell you what @Shaftesbury st, I'll say the same to you as I did the lad who started the wrong selection thread.

Fair play, you're right, you're a genius. Well played.

Happy?

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

If you look at my post on the matchday thread, my comment was either Huddlestone or Bradley needed to be sacrificed to get some width down the left.

My main point is cut the nastiness and the negativity. People like Shaftsbury St seem happier dishing the stick out.

I'll tell you what @Shaftesbury st, I'll say the same to you as I did the lad who started the wrong selection thread.

Happy?

Yep talking of which actually thought that Flo Jo gave us something down the left when he came on ...still think he’s got a lot to do though to be anything like a starter but did ok when he came on 

Would the result have been any different if both goalkeepers had turned up rather than just one?

Charlton beat Sunderland after scoring an own goal.

We had 7 minutes to turn the game around.

Jed Steer was excellent throughout. Roos made vital errors.

We can't blame team selection for that!

2 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Would the result have been any different if both goalkeepers had turned up rather than just one?

Charlton beat Sunderland after scoring an own goal.

We had 7 minutes to turn the game around.

Jed Steer was excellent throughout. Roos made vital errors.

We can't blame team selection for that!

You also can't single out a keeper for an entire teams performance. 

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Happy?

I’ve reacted to someone telling me I can’t have an opinion because I’ve not picked an 11 professionally in the past. 

Think you’re being over sensitive by saying anyone’s dishing out stick, I have my opinion, you have yours. I’m not a Lampard hater I just think he’s made repeated mistake where Bennett and Marriotts concerned

6 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Jesus Christ man, we all know the result but it proves nothing does it

Of course it proves nothing. It can't prove anything, it's hypothetical.

It's relevant though,  'cos you're saying if jack had started the result would have been different. I'm saying Jack started the last two games against them, didn't score and the results were 0-3 and 0-4.

He tried something different. It was closer to working than the last twice.

7 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Jesus Christ man, we all know the result but it proves nothing does it

Exactly this as we were a far weaker side at the time so our previous results against them are irrelevant I'm of the belief he got it wrong by not starting Marriott as he is our best striker , but at the same time the result isn't all down to that selection mistake. Two very poor errors was our downfall  in the end, and in the final third our decision making was poor and we lacked composure , that is not Lampard's fault. Over the course of the season we definitely don't deserve to go up due to our poor defending and lack of cutting edge go forward against well organised sides,  a few additions in the summer and hopefully next season we will get automatic promotion so we don't have to go through the pain of the playoffs again.

10 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Exactly this as we were a far weaker side at the time so our previous results against them are irrelevant I'm of the belief he got it wrong by not starting Marriott as he is our best striker , but at the same time the result isn't all down to that selection mistake. Two very poor errors was our downfall  in the end, and in the final third our decision making was poor and we lacked composure , that is not Lampard's fault. Over the course of the season we definitely don't deserve to go up due to our poor defending and lack of cutting edge go forward against well organised sides,  a few additions in the summer and hopefully next season we will get automatic promotion so we don't have to go through the pain of the playoffs again.

That’s a fair comment, I never once intimated anything other than it was the wrong team selection. By that I mean the team giving us the best opportunity to win the game, to impose our strengths on them. 

6 hours ago, McLovin said:

Lampard got it wrong today, not starting a recognised striker was ridiculous.  I think he will have nightmares about not starting either Marriott, Waghorn or even both. They both looked fit and hungry 

Didn't you spend the first half of the season saying Hudds and Johnson should play. It's your fault we lost!

1 minute ago, Shaftesbury st said:

That’s a fair comment, I never once intimated anything other than it was the wrong team selection. By that I mean the team giving us the best opportunity to win the game, to impose our strengths on them. 

Not totally convinced he made a mistake by not starting Marriott (though I would have). For me the error was in playing Huddlestone who completely slowed our tempo - we're far more effective when moving the ball at pace.

Poor everything more like. Villa had a better ticket system, better fans, better players, better tactics, better management. Hell, they even had better flags. They get cotton/nylon flags with the crest and villa wrote on them, we got a stick with a plaggy bag sellotaped on. Got what we deserved. Nothing. I did enjoy a game of frisby in the middle of the M1 for 2 hours though ?

I’m going to put this on every thread so people get ‘it’. We were playing against the most dynamic, successful (and expensive) 3 man midfield in the league. Hudds was played to stem this and release a bit of pressure. He did this. There are more stats but Grealish had his most ineffective game in months.

52CDDFBF-B9CB-4B47-ADF0-77E13513F442.thumb.png.39bb06067d4d6777aa5aea569c474fbd.png

It was always that final pass. In the end we had enough possession and chances to at least draw level and take it to extra time but bad balls in and decision making stopped us getting the goals. For example Bogle having a shot instead of cutting back to waghorn for an empty net tap in. The goals we conceded were soft as well and should have been dealt with. All in all on the day it just looks like we weren't ready to make that big step yet, villa were and their experience showed that. Our team is full of young, good on the ball players and they will be better for this and learn. Hopefully this is just the start of something because I feel we've built a real foundation this season which we can build on and make that final step... Actually getting to the premier League.

I've not read the whole forum so maybe someone else has mentioned it.

The biggest loss for me was not having a left wing back. No matter what people think of Malone as a defender, he offers so much going forward.

Not Frank's fault he got sent off. Not Ashley's fault he's now 38 and hasn't got the legs anymore.

Again I'll reiterate it's player decisions that cost Derby this game. Not the manager's selection

Archived