Poor selection

39 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The fact is, Mason Bennett isn't a lone striker. He's a good player, a useful asset, he'll work himself into the ground for the team, but he can't lead the line on his own. We lacked any outlet upfront, and in our most important and last game of the season, he should have risked Waghorn and Marriott. He played Hudds, how many mins has he had recently? Same as Ashley Cole? I trust him as a manager, doesn't mean I think he's perfect, and that's the point of the forum, to discuss what we would do differently. I think Frank made a mistake in his selection. 

None of ours are lone strikers. We don't have a target man in the squad. I think Frank was looking to soften up Mingus and co before unleashing Waggers and Jack. Had we not conceded two daft goals it might have worked too.

If I had to second guess Lamps I'd argue we might have played the diamond from the start but I honestly don't think he got a lot wrong. Were it not for Roos it'd have gone to extra time.

We have no divine right to beat Villa in any case. They are a strong side for the division. We just weren't quite as clinical as we have been of late whereas Villa, albeit fortuitously, were. 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

I’m sorry but it’s no good pussyfooting around the issue .

Gary Rowett was lambasted last year for his defensive approach against Fulham.

Were Lampard’s tactics any more positive today ? .. a resounding NO !  

TWO defensive midfielders ..

Bennett and Lawrence PREFERRED TO Marriott and Waghorn ! 

Absolutely SUICIDAL MISTAKES !

If I were Mel Morris I would be sending Frank Lampard his taxi to Chelsea, or wherever else he may be going !

HE THREW AWAY ANY CHANCE WE HAD TODAY WITH THAT UTTERLY RIDICULOUS STARTING LINE-UP !! 

Shut up.

Just now, Ram8 said:

I’m sorry but it’s no good pussyfooting around the issue .

Gary Rowett was lambasted last year for his defensive approach against Fulham.

Were Lampard’s tactics any more positive today ? .. a resounding NO !  

TWO defensive midfielders ..

Bennett and Lawrence PREFERRED TO Marriott and Waghorn ! 

Absolutely SUICIDAL MISTAKES !

If I were Mel Morris I would be sending Frank Lampard his taxi to Chelsea, or wherever else he may be going !

HE THREW AWAY ANY CHANCE WE HAD TODAY WITH THAT UTTERLY RIDICULOUS STARTING LINE-UP !! 

The selection wasn't perfect no. But I've bolded the bits I take issue with.

If you think that out there today was even close to Rowettball level of negativity, you need to rewatch how we played last year. It wasn't positive by Lampard's style, but practically progressive compared to the bilge served by Rowett. 

Sacking another manager isn't going to fix our problems. We've tried it. A lot. We need to stick with Frank, he's had a good first year. 

No he didn't. It wasn't great, but we wouldn't have made it this far without Frank.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

Some of you are so precious. You realise that you can both be proud of and have enjoyed the football served up by Lampard whilst also criticizing him when mistakes are made?

I can understand starting Huddlestone because we obviously wanted to use his passing to open up the large playing surface. As usual his passing was excellent, but his lack of mobility hurt us. I can understand starting Bennett. He's proved to be a handful to some of the best defences in the league recently. What I can't understand is starting Bennett up front on his own. I know that was the case against Leeds, but prior to Marriott's enforced introduction we'd created next to nothing. On that subject, Marriott.... What does the guy have to do to get a start? Not only did his goals get us through the semis, but his introduction had such a positive effect on our game. He did the exact same today, but didn't have enough time. If I was him tonight I'd be absolutely fuming, and not in a positive "I want to prove the gaffer wrong next season" way.

Wembley pitch is same dimension as PP so that argument is gone. I do agree we can enjoy and be annoyed at mistakes, these are mistakes that have been repeated time and time over, Bennett is a league one player at best, he can’t even last a game, always clutching his hamstrings

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

None of ours are lone strikers. We don't have a target man in the squad. I think Frank was looking to soften up Mingus and co before unleashing Waggers and Jack. Had we not conceded two daft goals it might have worked too.

If I had to second guess Lamps I'd argue we might have played the diamond from the start but I honestly don't think he got a lot wrong. Were it not for Roos it'd have gone to extra time.

We have no divine right to beat Villa in any case. They are a strong side for the division. We just weren't quite as clinical as we have been of late whereas Villa, albeit fortuitously, were. 

I would argue that Waggy can be a good lone striker, he's better at hold up than Marriott and Bennett I would say. That is logical, for me personally I'd have liked to see Marriott and Bennett together, like they were for the better part of that Leeds game, pace and power, combined with a lethal finisher in place of Hudds, and with Bradders at holding mid. 

For me personally, it was a bit negative to sit back early, maybe that wasn't the plan, but it looked similar to how we've approached other big games, and I thought it was a mistake. 

Definitely, no qualms whatsoever. We lost to the better team over the season, they deserved their promotion, good luck to them. I don't think we were bad today, I think it was a game of tiny margins which we could have won.

54 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many minutes had Marriott played since coming back from injury?

How long had Waghorn been out?

What if he'd started them and either one had broken down?

There was a reason both looked incredibly sharp and it was partly down to the fact the game was 60 minutes old. It's so much easier to run around like a madman when you know you've only got to do it for the last 30.

Both did look sharp and undoubtedly made a difference but I can guarantee that if Frank had started them both and either one had to come off for Mason Bennett, someone on here would be giving Frank pelters saying he should have saved them for the last 30 minutes.

He had to pick a team, you either trust him as a manager or you don't. 

If he’s picking Bennett ahead of Marriott then I don’t .......End of

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Mardy?? I'm hurting because we've lost a playoff final. We are getting the core of our team ripped out next year, and with how we played against Leeds, I just thought we could have gone out there on the front foot with nothing to loose. I'm sorry but that is how I viewed the game..... If you think we played out of our skin then that's fine ?

If you bother to read the post, Its the comments you made  about Frank and Chelsea - nothing to do with the match , just bile on your part.

1 minute ago, Shaftesbury st said:

If he’s picking Bennett ahead of Marriott then I don’t .......End of

You won't be surprised to know I'm not surprised. 

Football fan in thinking he knows better than a bloke who has lived his whole life in football shocker.

Stick me down the names of the last 11 you picked for a game at this level and let me know how you got on.

End of.

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Football fan in thinking he knows better than a bloke who has lived his whole life in football shocker.

Errr, did we win then?!

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

... thinking he knows better than a bloke who has lived his whole life in football shocker...

There's been plenty of ex-players who have not made the grade as coaches or managers, and I bet we've had a few you have criticised!

For all the chuntering, I ‘get’ today’s selection. I think had we not conceded before half time it would have gone to plan; keep it level pegging and then utilise a fresh Marriott when they’re flagging and start to turn the screw. Not what we want to watch maybe but there’s some logic. The problem in the main was sitting too deep through fear so when we did get forward, first half especially, there was very little support. Don’t think mason did much wrong, but a thankless task. Weirdly, barring Roos’ mistake I don’t think anyone had a bad game per se, just not enough good performances.

Just now, KCG said:

There's been plenty of ex-players who have not made the grade as coaches or managers, and I bet we've had a few you have criticised!

Only two and I apologised on here for doing that.

Tp be fair, the two I criticised? Clement, I said he wouldn't make once the players twigged he was all ******** and bluster and Mac I said he'd be sacked by QPR by Christmas, I was a couple of months out.

Whether I'm right or not I wasn't proud to be having a go

I know nowt compared to these lads. Nowt and YET  I'd still class my knowledge as better than the majority.

Has anyone mentioned yet that we only scored When Mings got injured? And how did that happen? By having to play against the strongest and most committed forward player out there today. He might not be the finisher of Marriott or all rounder ofWaghorn but he is a bulldozer and could still improve in a similar way to Deeney later in his career. Waghorn was probably still not match fit. 

5 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Stick me down the names of the last 11 you picked for a game at this level and let me know how you got on.

End of.

Bit of an idiotic post mate, if the manager is always right then why bother to come and discuss the game, transfers etc?.  Why don’t you just delete and offer no comment if there’s nothing to debate?. 

I am pretty sure he will be self critical and know himself where he went wrong or does he never make mistakes, that’s basically what you are saying. 

If you want to deny what is glaringly obvious then do so, I’m just going to say it how I see it................End of

42 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

In all fairness he got it right against Leeds but he didn’t today. I’m sorry but if you can’t see that then it’s a little worrying. 

Not sure how that team can be defended, didn’t play until changes made

Fine margins mate 

Roos error different ball game 

perhaps waghorn wasn’t fully fit ... which has been hinted by Lampard and well documented leading into the game 

perhaps as he also said Marriott can’t play with the intensity that’s required from the off and is more use coming on and influencing the game 

But we all know better than the guy that sees them each day on the training ground dont we 

It Ain’t champ manager fella 

Slightly tongue in cheek I know, but when I saw our line up and formation I did wonder whether Frank had a lot of faith in us as penalty takers.

Until he changed it we had lots of possession (mostly across the back 5 as usual) but very little else. 1 tame shot as I recall.

When he changed from 2 x DMs and got our natural goalscorer finally on the pitch we at least looked like we might score. Just a shame that we had given away 2 goals (as usual) by then.

3 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Bit of an idiotic post mate, if the manager is always right then why bother to come and discuss the game, transfers etc?.  Why don’t you just delete and offer no comment if there’s nothing to debate?. 

I am pretty sure he will be self critical and know himself where he went wrong or does he never make mistakes, that’s basically what you are saying. 

If you want to deny what is glaringly obvious then do so, I’m just going to say it how I see it................End of

Debating is fine. You're not debating, you're criticising and passing something hypothetical off as fact.

Convincing yourself that you are right and he is wrong.

It's such a cheap and easy post to write. You've got no idea if Derby would have won that game with a different team selection.

No idea at all.

I'm not saying he doesn't make mistakes, I'm just saying you're not qualified to say 100% that it would have been a different outcome if YOU were picking the side. Which is basically what you're saying.

Frank was asked the question at the end of the match and he gave his explanation. The fact it's not a good enough explanation for you, I can't help.

I'm just saying it as I see it.

When Frank arrived at the start of the season, everyone accepted he would make mistakes as he was new to management. Most of us being realistic had anticipated we would finish outside the top six. Frank's game plan didn't work out, how he had wanted. But did he get his selection wrong? If we hadn't conceded the second goal the way we did. Frank's selection and game plan may have produced a different result for us today.

Archived