UEFA, you really have dropped one this time

Day

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this specific issue UEFA’s problem and what do Arsenal expect them to do about it?

Bergkamp missed a lot of their matches because he wouldn’t fly. Was that UEFAs problem as well? 

Put Mkhitaryan’s own safety aside, why would they hand a major European Final to a country that cannot cope with more than 26k travelling into the country? 

UEFA confirmed both sets of fans were only given 13k tickets each as the airport wasn’t capable of handling more fans. The stadium holds 68k.

It’s just a baffling decision. 

I don’t agree with some in that the venue should be decided after the semi finals, I’m fine with it being pre selected, but at least ensure the country is suitable. It’s great that FIFA and UEFA want to take their competitions around the world, but again, the country has to be suitable which it clearly isn’t.

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

explain

Maybe Mkhitaryan had applied for easy jet tickets only to find he is 26,001 on the list and they have just put the prices up to £1500 for a return journey????

I do agree with @David though, they should ensure the country is suitable prior to announcing the final venue

35 minutes ago, David said:

Put Mkhitaryan’s own safety aside, why would they hand a major European Final to a country that cannot cope with more than 26k travelling into the country? 

UEFA confirmed both sets of fans were only given 13k tickets each as the airport wasn’t capable of handling more fans. The stadium holds 68k.

It’s just a baffling decision. 

I don’t agree with some in that the venue should be decided after the semi finals, I’m fine with it being pre selected, but at least ensure the country is suitable. It’s great that FIFA and UEFA want to take their competitions around the world, but again, the country has to be suitable which it clearly isn’t.

Or at least hold a major European final in Europe.

24 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

How is this specific issue UEFA’s problem and what do Arsenal expect them to do about it?

Bergkamp missed a lot of their matches because he wouldn’t fly. Was that UEFAs problem as well? 

I think the issue is that UEFA has decided to hold a final (that it alone has the choice of, not the vagiaries of a draw) in a place that has a recent history of bloody conflict with its neighbour over what is still a disputed territory. The two countries are not exactly chummy.

Bergkamp was just afraid of flying, not what might happen to him once he got there.

For context for anyone unsure of the circumstances, Armenia and Azerbaijan have absolutely no diplomatic relations whatsoever. Armenian members of the public cannot legally enter the country under any circumstance, and only under exceptional circumstances can visas be given to high-profile Armenians, for events such as this. The feeling against Armenians in Azerbaijan is exceptionally strong, and not just on the level of the general public. For example, in 2004 an Azerbaijani lieutenant Ramil Safarov murdered an Armenian lieutenant Gurgen Margaryan with an axe while he slept during a NATO Partnership for Peace programme in Hungary. At his trial he stated "The reason why I committed the murder was that they passed by and smiled in our face. At that moment I decided to kill them (...) If there were more Armenians here I would like to kill all of them. It is a pity this was the first occasion and I hadn't managed to get better prepared for this action... My calling is to kill all the Armenians." In itself this action could be viewed as the action of a singular man with no reflection of his country's position, but upon extradition from Hungary to Azerbaijan in 2012 he was, against the agreement of the extradition, instantly pardoned by the country's president on arrival at the airport, promoted to the rank of major, and provided publicly-funded housing and eight years of back pay. He was praised by high ranking members of the government as a "hero" and someone who "defended his country's honour." This for murdering a man in his sleep with an axe solely due to his nationality. I think it's entirely reasonable for an Armenian to worry for his safety in a country such as this. How can his safety be assured in these circumstances? He would be one of the highest profile Armenians in the world, with his whereabouts being known for at least the period of the match, inside a country where a sizeable amount of people would happily see him dead for his nationality. It would only take one lunatic managing to get to him for things to turn bad. It's a very poor decision on UEFA's part to allow this to have happened, I would say.

38 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Come on. That's a massively disingenuous argument. Bergkamp could have traveled by boat and land to play, and did for important games. There is a credible threat to Mkhitaryan's safety in Azerbaijan. The two circumstances are in no way comparable.

Additionally, anyone scared of flying is superstitious weirdo who deserves to be inconvenienced.

39 minutes ago, Anon said:

Come on. That's a massively disingenuous argument. Bergkamp could have traveled by boat and land to play, and did for important games. There is a credible threat to Mkhitaryan's safety in Azerbaijan. The two circumstances are in no way comparable.

Additionally, anyone scared of flying is superstitious weirdo who deserves to be inconvenienced.

Flying is the safest form of transport, despite Boeing 's efforts.

1 hour ago, David said:

It’s great that FIFA and UEFA want to take their competitions around the world, but again, the country has to be suitable which it clearly isn’t.

Baffling isn't it - how much money was in the suitcase when they made that decision? It's not even like you can get there easily via neighbouring countries - Russia, Armenia, Iran and Georgia

That's just the issue of getting fans there though - the chances of one of the qualifying teams having an Armenian player were very slim, and at the end of the day just bad luck

Just now, StivePesley said:

the chances of one of the qualifying teams having an Armenian player were very slim, and at the end of the day just bad luck

That’s not bad luck. What about fans that will be refused entry? Slim as they be, UEFA shouldn’t be holding finals in countries where some nationalities are not welcome. 

#EqualGame and that remember.

UEFA’s #EqualGame campaign promoting diversity, inclusion and accessibility in football aims to increase public awareness of the ways in which football can be played and enjoyed, and underlines football’s capacity as a powerful unifying social force

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/social-responsibility/news/newsid=2587064.html

34 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Baffling isn't it - how much money was in the suitcase when they made that decision? It's not even like you can get there easily via neighbouring countries - Russia, Armenia, Iran and Georgia

That's just the issue of getting fans there though - the chances of one of the qualifying teams having an Armenian player were very slim, and at the end of the day just bad luck

I think bad luck makes light of it, You simply shouldn't be able to hold an international final in a country that is a loaded up with violent internecine strife with its neighbour where a none political individual cannot have his safety guaranteed. 

But most of footballs governing bodies have more than a dose of rot in them so I'm not really surprised, but it is a pretty sickening that a football players safety cannot be guaranteed in a certain place simply because of his nationality.  

The only thing that's positive in this is maybe the embarrassment might focus minds a little

5 minutes ago, jono said:

I think bad luck makes light of it, You simply shouldn't be able to hold an international final in a country that is a loaded up with violent internecine strife with its neighbour where a none political individual cannot have his safety guaranteed. 

Yes - I probably didn't phrase it very well - what I was trying to say was that it was bad luck for UEFA - as it throws a massive spotlight on the terrible decision they made

If there were no Armenian players involved in the final it would have probably been under-reported

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

UEFA chose a stadium in a country that is still officially at war with its neighbour with extreme hostility on both sides. Next year i think it should go to Syria - less distance to fly there as well. The cynic in me would say Azerbaijans vast oil wealth has something to do with them getting to host it, but it is an absolutely awful decision by UEFA to host it their in the first place.

Archived