UEFA, you really have dropped one this time

David

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

UEFA chose a stadium in a country that is still officially at war with its neighbour with extreme hostility on both sides. Next year i think it should go to Syria - less distance to fly there as well. The cynic in me would say Azerbaijans vast oil wealth has something to do with them getting to host it, but it is an absolutely awful decision by UEFA to host it their in the first place.

I agree that it was a stupid decision to host the match in Baku (World Cup in Qatar, anyone?)

There are loads of good reasons why it's a bad idea. I just don't think one player not wanting to go there is one of them - which was the point of the original post.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I agree that it was a stupid decision to host the match in Baku (World Cup in Qatar, anyone?)

There are loads of good reasons why it's a bad idea. I just don't think one player not wanting to go there is one of them - which was the point of the original post.

I disagree. One player not wanting to go there because there is a strong chance he may be killed or assaulted is a very valid reason not to host it in said country. Same reason why they shouldnt hold any events in Turkey or any of the former yugoslavia countries either. 

where the ducks Baku anyway -who picks these duck dust places?

they should have a shortlist of three venues  - see who qualifies (from which country)

Then choose Wembley lol

or somewhere that holds a lot of fans.......

5 hours ago, jono said:

The only thing that's positive in this is maybe the embarrassment might focus minds a little

No, it won't. To be embarrassed one needs to be at least slightly concerned about other's perceptions of you, UEFA doesn't give a toss.

Sith Happens

Does make you despair, in an age that football claims to be equal for all they put a top competition in a country who ban some people from entering the country,  unlikely but what if an Armenian team had reached the final? 

Plus if you are lgbt , while you wont be banned their residents are free to abuse you as they see fit.

Add to that Qatar where you definitely won't be welcome if you are lgbt. No wonder no footballers have stated they are gay.

I suppose the wellbeing of players comes second to lining the pockets of those involved in making these decisions.

I think it would be good for football if both Chelsea and Arsenal withdrew from the final and played it, even if not official, at Wembley or the new spurs ground.

Might make the authorities take note.

Have no issue with the competition being played wherever as long as its safe and all people no matter what your background or sexual orientation are welcome.

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Does make you despair, in an age that football claims to be equal for all they put a top competition in a country who ban some people from entering the country,  unlikely but what if an Armenian team had reached the final? 

Plus if you are lgbt , while you wont be banned their residents are free to abuse you as they see fit.

Football is no different to any other business and so they've realised that parroting various social justice talking points is a great source of free advertising. That's why we end up with ludicrous situations where FIFA tells everyone to put rainbow laces in their boots to encourage acceptance, whilst handing the world cup to a country where you'll be imprisoned for kissing your partner if you happen to be gay. The people that run these organisations are the worst mixture of avarice and cowardice.

38 minutes ago, Anon said:

Football is no different to any other business and so they've realised that parroting various social justice talking points is a great source of free advertising. That's why we end up with ludicrous situations where FIFA tells everyone to put rainbow laces in their boots to encourage acceptance, whilst handing the world cup to a country where you'll be imprisoned for kissing your partner if you happen to be gay. The people that run these organisations are the worst mixture of avarice and cowardice.

Dont forget they are holding the Europa League final in a country who has often been described as the worst in Europe for gay rights. They have absolutely zero legal protection for LGBT groups in that country even if they are technically allowed to get married. And to be worse than Russia or some of the other Eastern European countries on these issues takes some doing.

Apart from the discrimination against LGBT groups, imprisonment of political opponents, corruption, the ongoing conflict against Armenia and human rights abuses Azerbaijan is a good choice for a final......

Why do UEFA and FIFA "award" cities to host a final. It's one game, not a monthly tournament. Surely within 6 weeks they could find a neutral venue with good flight availability, the ticket allocations sorted. Provisional venues in place throughout Europe.

Oh wait no, this wouldn't suit corporate sponsors. They must come first before supporters. As is the modern football way.

Cities have to apply to host the venue. 

There were 3 that wanted this one, Seville, Baku, Istanbul. 

Uefa gave the champion's league to Madrid so Seville was discarded, Istanbul pulled out to concentrate on an Olympic bid so Baku was the only one left standing.   

Baku is also hosting games in the European championships next summer. 

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

We are watching the game on Croatian TV. There is no commentary and it sounds like the crowd are three miles from the game.

Is it the same on Sky or is it just our operator? 

I've got the bt sport YouTube channel on the home PC.

Robbie savage summarising Ian somebody's commentary. 

It is a big wide bowl that is not especially full....

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

We are watching the game on Croatian TV. There is no commentary and it sounds like the crowd are three miles from the game.

Is it the same on Sky or is it just our operator? 

It looks more like RamsTV coverage of one of our U23 matches - one long distance camera (miles from the action, lots of little ants) and occasional throw-in closeups! ? ?

Archived