UEFA, you really have dropped one this time

David

52 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Stories of security wonks checking the backs of Arsenal supporters’ shirts for Mkhitaryan’s name are very sinister. 

Very.

Although apparently the security personnel just feared that a Mkhitaryan shirt could incite the locals. Which is a different kind of sinister, but still sinister.
I've only seen the stories of people who were asked to show their shirts, I didn't see anything from anyone actually wearing a Mkhitaryan shirt, so I've no idea what action if any was actually taken.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rambam said:

The powers that be trying to be politically correct and ‘diverse’ scored a huge own goal whilst lining their pockets. There was a 99% chance both finalists would be 2,500 miles away from this venue, a logistical and environmental disaster. 

I have a feeling it was much more about lining their pockets than being diverse or PC. 

18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Very.

Although apparently the security personnel just feared that a Mkhitaryan shirt could incite the locals. Which is a different kind of sinister, but still sinister.
I've only seen the stories of people who were asked to show their shirts, I didn't see anything from anyone actually wearing a Mkhitaryan shirt, so I've no idea what action if any was actually taken.

They were just checking the spelling accuracy I'm sure.

On 21/05/2019 at 11:02, Wolfie said:

I agree that it was a stupid decision to host the match in Baku (World Cup in Qatar, anyone?)

There are loads of good reasons why it's a bad idea. I just don't think one player not wanting to go there is one of them - which was the point of the original post.

Its not that he”didn’t want to go” because he had eaten bad sardines there last time or he just doesn’t like flying....he has a genuine fear for his own safety if he goes there....and as everyone will agree football is important but it’s certainly not THAT important. 

I went to Baku to see England play, hell hole of a place, food was awful, locals awful, police awful, the stadium was awful even the weather was terrible....I missed the only goal of the game and vowed never to go to watch England again (that didn’t quite work out to be honest) ok the plus side, I stood next to another group of Rams fans from Ripley that night! 

43 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Baku is in Azerbaijan which is in Asia - so where exactly is UEFA's "catchment area"?

May as well go to New York - not much further and the shopping's better?

Same as the Eurovision catchment area. Next final’s in Australia. 

Archived