Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

On 21/05/2019 at 09:43, Edtheram said:

We need to play the Diamond formation against Villa the last 2 games we have played against them have seen us line up 4-3-3 and conceded goals and not have a sniff for 90 mins. If we play with Waghorn and Marriott up top we will cause them problems. we have enough to beat Villa and after the Leeds game we need to believe as a club that we can do this.

Also, Jody Morris' record as a manager/coach in finals is amazing - hes a winner. Frank was a winner on the pitch and is now trying to be one off it too and Jones was around Chelsea through the glory years. We have Winners coaching these players, hopefully we can win on Monday! COYR

I agree that the diamond might serve us well again against Villa, but bear in mind that last time we played Villa we started with flojo, bird, evans and Bennett. Of those only bennett is in with a chance of starting and the rest will be replaced with any of Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Johnson or Huddlestone. If we did play 433 it would have our most effective personnel playing this time.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I can't see Lawrence not starting. Marriott will most likely start due to his performance against Leeds. It's down to Waghorn or Bennett which will give us the flexibility of switching between 442 (diamond) and 433. Whichever of the two starts is unlikely to finish - I'd back Waghorn in a shootout so reckon Bennett will get the nod.

I can see your point. As a counter argument though Mariott was really out of sorts for a long time before the Leeds game, will he turn up ? I'd like to think so but if he's starting I'd want us to start with a diamond so he has support. 

On Waghorn/Bennett, I think I'd rather have Bennett coming off  the bench where he can make a bigger impact against tiring players, with Waghorn starting so he can bring players into the game. 

If fit i'd go Waghorn to start, with Lawrence and Wilson on either wing. Bennett and Marriott are both supersubs for me, more so Marriott than Bennett, as i actually think Bennett did a job at centre forward against Leeds. I'd say bench Marriott due to him being an impact sub and also his fitness, then if we go behind bring him on to hound the Villa back line. Waggy has to be the favourite if fit.

Just now, TreeFuTom said:

If fit i'd go Waghorn to start, with Lawrence and Wilson on either wing. Bennett and Marriott are both supersubs for me, more so Marriott than Bennett, as i actually think Bennett did a job at centre forward against Leeds. I'd say bench Marriott due to him being an impact sub and also his fitness, then if we go behind bring him on to hound the Villa back line. Waggy has to be the favourite if fit.

The vast majority of Marriott's production with us has come from starts. The Leeds game was an exception mainly because he got more than one half of football. Other than those two goals, the only contribution he's provided from the bench was his goal against Man Utd in the league cup in September.

Basically all of Bennett's production has come off the bench, and he's the most prolific substitute in the Championship.

I don't disagree with starting Waghorn up front though, necessarily. I personally just think we played far better against Leeds in a diamond with two up front than the... 270 minutes we played against them in a 4-3-3. And as our 4-3-3 system was similarly slapped about by Villa during the season, I just feel like the 4-4-2 diamond would be the way to go in the play-off final as well. In that system, Marriott can start too!

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Thinking about it, when I was away in Greece back in October we watched the Sheff Utd and WBA games on the sky go app, no issues other than being 2 mins behind. Just remember to take any notifications off. 

Ah brill. Cheers mate!

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

The vast majority of Marriott's production with us has come from starts. The Leeds game was an exception mainly because he got more than one half of football. Other than those two goals, the only contribution he's provided from the bench was his goal against Man Utd in the league cup in September.

Basically all of Bennett's production has come off the bench, and he's the most prolific substitute in the Championship.

I don't disagree with starting Waghorn up front though, necessarily. I personally just think we played far better against Leeds in a diamond with two up front than the... 270 minutes we played against them in a 4-3-3. And as our 4-3-3 system was similarly slapped about by Villa during the season, I just feel like the 4-4-2 diamond would be the way to go in the play-off final as well. In that system, Marriott can start too!

To be fair I wasn't aware of those statistics! I watched the Leeds game and Marriott looked a little unfit to me, struggling to get to a few balls towards the latter half of the match? If he is fully fit then we need him playing. I just don't want a situation where we're behind, need his fitness and his playstyle, but he's already been on the pitch for over an hour and is shattered.

7 minutes ago, TreeFuTom said:

To be fair I wasn't aware of those statistics! I watched the Leeds game and Marriott looked a little unfit to me, struggling to get to a few balls towards the latter half of the match? If he is fully fit then we need him playing. I just don't want a situation where we're behind, need his fitness and his playstyle, but he's already been on the pitch for over an hour and is shattered.

I was also concerned by how he looked fitness wise.

But, if there's a game we can afford for players to be absolutely dead on their feet after the final whistle, it's this one ? 

I think having Marriott on the pitch for the maximum amount of time is the key. It doesn't take many chances for a Marriott goal to eventually become inevitable. I think Bennett's raw physicality is better for making the most of the opposition's tired legs, which plays a big part in productivity.

I'd have one of the hyper-prolific youths on the bench for a pure throw-of-the-dice move if we're chasing the game late on. Sometimes that X-Factor can work out. Hopefully we're not though. 

Kilburn infant school having a wear your Derby shirts to school day on Friday ???

my daughters best friend and his dad are forest fans....for some reason he’s angry that I keep asking  him (the dad) if he wants to borrow a shirt for his lad ?

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Kilburn infant school having a wear your Derby shirts to school day on Friday ???

my daughters best friend and his dad are forest fans....for some reason he’s angry that I keep asking  him (the dad) if he wants to borrow a shirt for his lad ?

nothing like getting them young to ingrain the hatred

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

But have you taught you daughter to "ducking bounce"? ?

2 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

But have you taught you daughter to "ducking bounce"? ?

At least mr ramage didnt teach her.... on the news this evening with alvaston jr school he adapted the words (if you dont like to bounce you're a red) but had the tune and timing wrong.... sounded like he was singing it to "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands...." ??? also the look on the kids faces when he tried to start the bounce made my day!! 

8 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Thanks guys, from what I read it looks like it might be a bit temperamental or at least it’s in a teething stage. Sure it’ll be fine, kinda hoping someone might have tried it recently and known if there was any problems. Sure it’ll be fine and I can find alternative arrangements if necessary 

Where in France will you be?

Imagine Frank's got a right headache.

I really want to see Mount, Wilson, Marriott and Waghorn all starting. I'll feel really confident if they all start. 

But that kind of means 2 of Bennett, Holmes or Lawrence has to drop out. To drop any feels unfair. 

Don't know what to think team or shape. On balance I'd probably stick with the diamond and go for it. Win it or go down punching rather than waiting to go behind then throwing the dice.

Nice to have a selection problem in the front 6. Waghorn or Holmes to miss out on fitness I guess? 

Back 5 picks itself:

Johnson

Homes Mount 

Wilson

Lawrence Marriott

Bench: Carson, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Waghorn, Bennett, plus a couple of kids.

Flo-Jo ain't getting on ahead of Bennett or Waghorn to play wide, surely, so why have him on the bench?

30 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Where in France will you be?

For the game, a place called Fabrezan. Or at least a farm/property near by. There for a wedding and on the Monday there’s meant to be a party happening (no, not the wedding itself!) so I’m hoping I can sneak off for a few hours to watch it by myself.

I’d go with the team that played the middle part of the Leeds game bar malone of course. 

Roos 

bogle keogh tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Bennett                 Wilson 

Mount 

Lawrence          Marriott 

Then we have waghorn, Holmes and Huddlestone to bring on to shift approach / emphasis. 

What we all have to remember is;

1 The bookers have Villa as favourites which suits us. We seem to rally and perform better when we're up against it.
2. Villa have all the pressure and some of their players the bad experience from losing in the final last season.
3. The media talk of Villa having the upper hand with experience, but I reckon that only 3 who started in the final last year will start next Monday; El Mohamady, Hourihane & Grealish. 
Jedinak, Adomah and Kodjia were on the bench last year, but have not been regular starters since Dean Smith has come in. 
4. It will be a big day for; Steer, Mings, McGinn, Green, Abraham and El Ghazi as it will for all our boys.
5. Most of us (including me) had given up on the POs after losing to Blackburn at the beginning of last month
6. Most of us (Including me again) had given up after the POs semi first leg

So lets have no sleepless nights, I see next Monday as a very unexpected bonus in our transitional season..........COYR

Archived