Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone got any ideas for team selection? I think the game will be won in midfield. 

With Villa playing 433, that team that started the second half & did so well at Elland Road leaves us little cover, I just wonder whether Frank may be tempted to start Huddlestone (he’s been there and done it in these games), to add a bit more  holding cover.

Also, if Waghorn is fit, does he come in? Would be harsh on Bennett if we stick with the diamond but Waghorn was in the goals before his injury. 

4 hours ago, DJFern94 said:

Villa fans are getting overly confident, same as Leeds were. Would love to wipe their brummy grins off their faces. 

I work with loads of them. Arrogant self entitled bunch. Work will be perfect if we stuff em 

Just met a villa fan in't sea.... coastguards on his way out ta fetch him.......nah seriously mi owds if tha gerra chance gu  Mexico.... It's bloody great.. apart from sum English folk from over boarder.... disgrace ta flag.... any roads see ya all in the cockle on Monday...

On 22/05/2019 at 12:12, brady1993 said:

I think it's probably the trickiest team selection Frank's will have had all season, not just because of the game but because there is a fair few players who really can make an argument for starting. 

In my view there is 7-8 players nailed on; Roos, Bogle, Keogh, Tomori, Cole, Johnson, Mount, Wilson (I'd say he isn't as nailed on as the rest but is more than likely to start on the wing or in midfield). After that you have realistically Mariott, Bennett, Lawrence, Waghorn and Holmes all competing for three places. 

I think the "easiest" choice is to go with Lawrence, Mariott and Bennett after the Leeds game. However before their injury troubles Waghorn and Holmes were both had a massive influence on getting us into the playoffs in the end of season run.

If it was up to me I think I'd go Holmes (midfield), Waghorn, Lawrence because I think that gives the best balance to a 433 (opting for the system that we've had the most practice with) but I'm by no means sure about it.

Yep, really tough. I think that most players will get game time however so were Waghorn and Holmes not to start, for instance, they may well still have a role to play. It's gong to be a high-octane type of game I reckon and players will tire over the 90.

Also, I'd strongly favour us sticking with the diamond formation used against Leeds rather than reverting to a 4-3-3. It's a set up that seems to suit our personnel better, to my eye at least, but doubtless Frank and Jody will have done their homework, so in them we trust.

COYR

All through my school days I was friends with a Villa fan. He came from there you see. Well Cyprus but Birmingham. I taught him how to play football and we played both in the school team and in a junior team together. Top lad if you ask me apart from he did rattle on about Villa.

Don’t understand the wittering about the champ playoff final being on Monday.

This is the traditional day for it in my view, the climax of the whole football league season. I have many fond memories of watching great games over the years on BH Monday’s.

Come On You (bleeping) Rams. Make us proud.

(Bennett and Marriott up front for me. Midfield  diamond with Holmes dropping to the bench from Leeds)

I assume I am in the minority but I’m going with the view that if we loose so be it ,at least we beat Leeds and had a good season.If we win it’s a bonus as we’ve been well beaten by villa twice.At least if we don’t go up we will have some Saturday afternoon football whereas we will be all over the place with sky in the premiership. As long as the team turn up and do us proud as at Chelsea I can embrace glorious failure.

7 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

I have no idea how this came about !!!!

Derby County Community Trust have volunteers in Kenya

RE Lineup.

Could go either way, genuinely have no idea which shape Frank will go with - stick to the 4-3-3 that he's used all season or go with the diamond that worked so well against Leeds?

My fear with the diamond is that it could leave Cole exposed against Adomah/Green. My fear with the 4-3-3 is that we are quite open and struggle with Marriott up top on his own.

Several personnel dilemmas, too. Marriott

For what it's worth, I'd set up like this:

4-3-3

---------------Roos

Bogle---Keogh---Tomori---Cole

-------------Johnson

--------Mount-----Wilson

Waghorn*--------------Lawrence

--------------Marriott

(*If Waghorn isn't fit, then Bennett starts)

That system, with that personnel, gives us flexibility. It is what worked best in the middle part of the season when we were playing consistently.

But it gives us the option to move to a diamond if we need to - Lawrence as a 10, Waghorn (or Bennett) up top with Marriott.

11 hours ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Don’t understand the wittering about the champ playoff final being on Monday.

This is the traditional day for it in my view, the climax of the whole football league season. I have many fond memories of watching great games over the years on BH Monday’s.

Come On You (bleeping) Rams. Make us proud.

(Bennett and Marriott up front for me. Midfield  diamond with Holmes dropping to the bench from Leeds)

At least that champions league final isn’t on straight after !

Archived