Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

I read daily but post rarely. I just to want share my thoughts.

it’s an odd one, this season has been fantastic and I don’t want it to end. We all say Villa is a free hit and right now it is, but I can assure you i’ll be devastated if we lose on Monday. We can 100% beat them, I just hope our players play the game and not the occasion, forget about past results, forget about Sky and Boro being disrespectful with their timing/questions, forget about 2014, just go out and play like we know you can. 

I’ll be there, feeling sick with nerves and having a panic attack every time the ball is less than 30 yards from our goal.

COYR!

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DazaDunn said:

I read daily but post rarely. I just to want share my thoughts.

it’s an odd one, this season has been fantastic and I don’t want it to end. We all say Villa is a free hit and right now it is, but I can assure you i’ll be devastated if we lose on Monday. We can 100% beat them, I just hope our players play the game and not the occasion, forget about past results, forget about Sky and Boro being disrespectful with their timing/questions, forget about 2014, just go out and play like we know you can. 

I’ll be there, feeling sick with nerves and having a panic attack every time the ball is less than 30 yards from our goal.

COYR!

Agree with this 100 percent, do not want to feel like I did at the end of the QPR defeat, can not wait , but to win will make it extra special, to all you Rams fans going, let's give it our all , and roar on the team, let's lift the roof off Wembley, let's be loud and proud, and when we win, let all 38000 fans bounce as one , at the end with Frank and the boys, as a fan base and a club, we need to taste the sweet taste of success again.

The working week has done and the build up starts now for me. Getting that bit more excited as every hour passes. To everyone else going on Monday, safe journey there & back and hope you all have a great day out. Let’s get behind Frank and the team and get this one over the line. To witness the whole of one half of Wembley stadium bouncing will be amazing!!!

Haven't seen the Rams win at Wembley, I missed the WBA final. This would be so sweet of we do come out on top on Monday.

For me though I don't think it matters what league we are in there is going to be a huge clear out of players either way. We have signed Shinne who is quite obviously a Championship player. We are going to have to be very cute in the transfer market and will be starting on the back foot. I believe this will be the most interesting of pre seasons and will be exciting. The benefit of course in going up is the options we can give to mount, tomori and maybe wilson.

Let's just hope Frank can stay for another season, hopefully he sees going to Chelsea now as too soon

16 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wembley pitch doesn’t look in great nick..

Agree with that - and another game tomorrow on it 

and the stadium is empty!! Surely this play off final should revert to the neutral ground in the middle! OT or Villa Park would have comfortably held it 

Back five

Johnson Huddlestone

Wilson Mount Lawrence 

Marriott 

4231 to mirror Villa’s midfield shape.

Mount man marking Hourinhane, BJ man marking Grealish. 

Marriott over Waghorn because he’s our most clinical finisher in a game expected to be tight. 

Huddlestone for some football and some height to screen Abraham.

41 minutes ago, cannable said:

Back five

Johnson Huddlestone

Wilson Mount Lawrence 

Marriott 

4231 to mirror Villa’s midfield shape.

Mount man marking Hourinhane, BJ man marking Grealish. 

Marriott over Waghorn because he’s our most clinical finisher in a game expected to be tight. 

Huddlestone for some football and some height to screen Abraham.

Do I not like that!

Although Huddlestone is one of Derby's tallest players he has no 'spring' in his legs and cannot jump as high as Johnson, and very rarely wins a header.

Also, I do not believe he has much speed in his legs to track back fast enough. If you look at Leeds 2nd goal last week he does not track the Leeds player who then plays it to Dallas to score. He doesn't even put his body close to make a tackle.

My gut feeling is that we will go in like this 

Roos

Bogle. Keogh Tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Mount wilson Lawrence    

Bennett Marriott 

subs carson Wisdom Huddlestone Waghorn Holmes Evans jo flo or a kid  

i just don’t think it is worth the risk of starting Waghorn or Holmes and having to replace them and disrupting things unnecessarily 

Marriott or Waghorn? 

Id go both if fit 

Roos

Bogle tomori keogh cole

Johnson

Holmes Mount Wilson 

Marriott  waghorn

Id try to get them both in, wouldnt be bothered if we went with lawrence in there... Or went 4231 with the usual suspects and holmes next to BJ In the two... In fact not bothered who we play as long as we win... Just certainly wouldnt play huddlestone next to BJ it doesnt work 

One stat I hadn't realised... It's been 7 years since both teams scored in this game.

Not sure if that means I now want us to score first, or do what we are best at... coming from behind!  LOL!

Some other stats (Courtesy of the beeb), that may just make you sit up and think...

Aston Villa are the first side to reach back-to-back playoff finals in the second tier since West Ham in 2004 (runners up) and 2005 (winners). The last side to lose consecutive playoff finals at this level was Leicester City in 1992 and 1993.

Aston Villa have lost five of their last six in all competitions in matches played at Wembley Stadium, with their only victory in this run coming back in April 2015 versus Liverpool in an FA Cup semi-final, with goals from Christian Benteke and Fabian Delph securing a 2-1 win.

Only Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Sunderland and Swindon Town have ever lost three straight games at Wembley without scoring - Aston Villa have lost 0-4 to Arsenal and 0-1 to Fulham in their last two games there.

The team finishing sixth in the Championship have been promoted via the play-offs in just one of the last 13 seasons, with Blackpool beating Cardiff City in the 2010 final.

Should Derby win promotion, their tally of 74 points in the regular season would be the fewest by a side promoted to the Premier League since Crystal Palace in 2012-13 (72 points).

Excluding the goalless 2017 final between Huddersfield and Reading, 14 of the last 15 occasions a team has scored first in a second-tier play-off final has seen them go on to win promotion, with the exception being Cardiff City against Blackpool in 2010 (lost 2-3).

The two players to win the most fouls in the Championship this season (including play-offs) are Aston Villa's Jack Grealish (158) and Derby's Harry Wilson (113).

I just hope if we do go ahead tomorrow we don't sit back and try and defend it as I can't recall this working too many times this season! We look best going forwards and worry most teams when we put our mind to attacking.

Another hope is the losses to Villa in the league were Frank playing the long game and a work of tactical genius. He knew we'd probably have to play Villa in the play-offs so wanted to give them a feeling that it would be easy. Just as with Leeds with the poor first 3 games, he finally got the lads to play their best football just when it mattered.

Reminds me of Gary Lineker who used to pretend to defenders he was slower than he was in the initial stages of a match to give them a false sense of security. When it really mattered and a good pass was played through he then turned on the after-burners and left the defender not knowing what was going on.

18 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wembley pitch doesn’t look in great nick..

I was worried about this. For some mad reason I watched the FA vase final between Chertsey and some other non league team. This was followed by the FA trophy final with FC Fylde and Orient about 3 hours later!!!!

I'm sure there have been other games played aswell in-between. Mad me worry that it's gonna get some hammer. Those lower league teams are constantly flying in with sliding tackles. Bet the groundsmen hate this time of year. 

The only thing is it will be of no advantage to either team. 

Archived