Next season - if we don't go up.

DCFC Ram

I think that we can overcome the 0:1 at Elland Road. I think that we have a chance of beating Villa in one game. But if we don't do both, I wonder what next season will bring? Personally I'd be interested in Lampard and Morris (assuming that he hasn't sold up) putting together a team based on the successful 23s and 18s. Obviously with some experience too.  To be a bit radical, of the in-contract 1st teamers I'm keen for us to keep Bogle. I think that Marriott, Holmes, Huddlestone and Waghorn are good enough and work hard enough to get us up next year. I rate the out of contract Roos too.  I'm hoping that Shinnie will be good enough to be captain. Obviously, if we can bring it the likes of a Tomori, a Mount and a Wilson, that would be a bonus! 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hope that we could get tomori on loan again or by him, but we would need to sell a couple.... 

Roos for me has to be our number 1, he has been much better than Carson for us (I like Carson but he isn't as good with his feet and imo just boots the ball as far as he can with no real aim) 

Marriott - If he is playing to the same standard as he was at the start of the season then keep him  but if hes going to carry on like he has been recently I'd rather see some of derbys youngsters get the chance....

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I was waiting for thread.

And for someone to postulate that we will need a new left back right back left winger right winger defensive midfielder etc etc 

I'd like us to go up and hope that we do. IF we don't:

Malone at LB is not good enough in my opinion. Bogle is our right back (who I'd keep), so no need for a new one. Wilson is on loan / Zoon hasn't done enough - so, new left winger needed. Our DM Johnson is out of contract so new one of them too.  Is all.

I think a positive to come out of this season if we don’t go up will be that the so-called ‘big clubs’ will be queuing up to let Frank and Jody work with their talent on loan after seeing what’s happened with the loanees here, this season.

I’m interested to see whether Luke Thomas assumes the Harry Wilson role. In a better team than Coventry he may kick on again.

We have an abundance of youth players that will get their chance in the first team, should we stay down: Lowe, Thomas, Sibley, Bird, Whittaker, Buchanan, Macdonald, Mitchell-Lawson & Cresswell.   

We haven't had this many good prospects coming through at once in my lifetime supporting Derby. It should, hopefully, allow us to focus our attention on key areas during the transfer window. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We have an abundance of youth players that will get their chance in the first team, should we stay down: Lowe, Thomas, Sibley, Bird, Whittaker, Buchanan, Macdonald, Mitchell-Lawson & Cresswell.   

We haven't had this many good prospects coming through at once in my lifetime supporting Derby. It should, hopefully, allow us to focus our attention on key areas during the transfer window. 

Completely agree. I'm not down about Saturday, I'm excited either way with whatever division we end up in. With the teams coming up and the youngsters coming through, next season will be very interesting. Don't get me wrong we will have to have a few seasons hovering around 10th but we have to do that to blood those youngsters. I'm convinced this will be a very positive few seasons Indeed 

13 hours ago, DCFC Ram said:

I think that we can overcome the 0:1 at Elland Road. I think that we have a chance of beating Villa in one game. But if we don't do both, I wonder what next season will bring? Personally I'd be interested in Lampard and Morris (assuming that he hasn't sold up) putting together a team based on the successful 23s and 18s. Obviously with some experience too.  To be a bit radical, of the in-contract 1st teamers I'm keen for us to keep Bogle. I think that Marriott, Holmes, Huddlestone and Waghorn are good enough and work hard enough to get us up next year. I rate the out of contract Roos too.  I'm hoping that Shinnie will be good enough to be captain. Obviously, if we can bring it the likes of a Tomori, a Mount and a Wilson, that would be a bonus! 

Let’s have a look come Thursday 

I think I would consider Martin as back up to Waghorn/Bennett, but would have to see if he is completely shot or if there is better out there.

I would let Nugent go.

The other major descisions would be what to do about Mount, Tomori and Wilson

I think the chances of getting Wilson are extremely slim, Mount very slim and Tomori just slim

I also think that if we are building for the prem I would prefer to do it DCFC players rather than loans

One loan player is fine, maybe two - but having three in the spine of your team is a little disconcerting.

Again, we have had a fine season, Franks first season has been successful and he knows a lot more now than he did a year ago.

Plus reaping the benefits of our fine academy would be a bonus

9 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I think I would consider Martin as back up to Waghorn/Bennett, but would have to see if he is completely shot or if there is better out there.

I would let Nugent go.

The other major descisions would be what to do about Mount, Tomori and Wilson

I think the chances of getting Wilson are extremely slim, Mount very slim and Tomori just slim

I also think that if we are building for the prem I would prefer to do it DCFC players rather than loans

One loan player is fine, maybe two - but having three in the spine of your team is a little disconcerting.

Again, we have had a fine season, Franks first season has been successful and he knows a lot more now than he did a year ago.

Plus reaping the benefits of our fine academy would be a bonus

Funnily i think we have more chance of keeping Wilson than Mount (although slim).

Liverpool don't play to his strengths particularly also i think he can be a tad lightweight for the PL at present.

Don't get me wrong he has been immense but i think Klopp may think he needs another championship season to bring him on.

The rest of your post i agree with in it's entirety.

Ye lets make a team around youngsters who havent played a minute of mens football let alone Championship football - The youngsters like Luke Thomas need to be sent on load to league clubs for a season before we judge them. U23's football is one thing, Playing away at Luton mid January is a complete other. We need a team og hungry players and i know some will say Bird etc but from what ive seen he isnt amazing nowhere near a Will Hughes - he needs mens football - I saw him at Villa and we lost 4-0. Need them to get experience before building a team around them.

5 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Ye lets make a team around youngsters who havent played a minute of mens football let alone Championship football - The youngsters like Luke Thomas need to be sent on load to league clubs for a season before we judge them. U23's football is one thing, Playing away at Luton mid January is a complete other. We need a team og hungry players and i know some will say Bird etc but from what ive seen he isnt amazing nowhere near a Will Hughes - he needs mens football - I saw him at Villa and we lost 4-0. Need them to get experience before building a team around them.

That's a bit simplistic for me. Firstly it's harsh to judge Bird on one game where the whole team struggled (thought Evans was far worse that day.)

Secondly, Bogle is a shining example of what can work when looked after properly. 

I think we need some experienced players and a select few youngsters who are good enough. I'd definitely try Sibley in that advanced midfield role that Mount is occupying now. Shinnie further back will protect the defence, I hope.

And brilliant as our loanees have been overall, they are also young and have shown it at times. We've coped!

People need to get realistic about our young plays both at U23 and U18 level few if any will make championship or above regulars.

Justin Walker mentioned it in his interview after the U18 game that they will find a level they are comfortable at not all will make it at this club.

If you get one or two each season you are doing well and if they become regulars you are very lucky.

For all this lets play our younger players crowds will soon drop off and disgruntlement will rise if we are losing games and not playing entertaining football it is the modern football supporter I am afraid.

Perfect example today at Brighton Houghton has done a great job but they now have delusions they are a bigger club than they are.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

That's a bit simplistic for me. Firstly it's harsh to judge Bird on one game where the whole team struggled (thought Evans was far worse that day.)

Secondly, Bogle is a shining example of what can work when looked after properly. 

I think we need some experienced players and a select few youngsters who are good enough. I'd definitely try Sibley in that advanced midfield role that Mount is occupying now. Shinnie further back will protect the defence, I hope.

And brilliant as our loanees have been overall, they are also young and have shown it at times. We've coped!

Wilson and Tomori were both at Hull for part of last season and proved themselves. Mount likewise at Vitesse. All playing at a decent level of professional football. We should try the lads during pre season but i dont think we will be anywhere near the top 6 next season with too many youngsters around the squad, which would be a backward step for the club. We have a lot of good players here for next season maybe a couple will break through but more likely go for lower league players. Lowe was good in pre season but was shown up against Championship sides, for there confidence i just think it would be good for them to play consistently on loan at another club for a season.

Well our current best first 11 is what started against West Brom. Out of that we lose the three loaness and potentially Roos (Personally I hope he signs and we bring in someone above him). So the priorty has to be replacing them. After that I'd say the easy areas to look to improve in that 11 would be on Johnson (which we've already done) and Roos. Then from there Id look at three things; cover for Bogle and move on Wisdom, sort out the Mariott situation (either get him back on board or moved on), another option at cm and maybe another new cb. That would give a rough squad of 

GK: New, Roos/Carson (choose one)

RB: Bogle, New 

CB: Keogh, Davies, New, New 

LB: Malone, Lowe/Fozzy (If fit)

DM: Shinnie, Hudds, Evans (might convert to CB)

AM: Holmes, New, New 

RW: New, Bennett

LW: Lawrence, Jozefsoon

CF: Waghorn, Mariott/New 

Gives us a manageable tight squad that can be supported by the academy (some of the academy might end up stepping up into those "new" slots)

Archived