Mel Morris

Mazzaram

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm way past any chance of remaining sane. I've just spent the last 3 days sitting all day in the (near) perishing cold watching Derbyshire, with just the good company of The Memsahib and @sage to keep me in good spirits (and the occasional Belgian beer, purely for medicinal purposes). Tomorrow, I get to do it all over again.

I've not thawed out yet.

I periodically clear down my ignore list, but 6 months later, the same four or five posters always seem to have taken up residence there again.

Damn disappointed it takes me 6 months 

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I bolded that bit, but that last paragraph is about as inaccurate about how I am as a person as you can possibly be.

Quite happy to be wrong, and being told so...... don’t think you’ll ever find me playing the victim ever, after probably playing that for a number of years in my life over a decade ago.

Think it’s pretty sweeping, generalistic paragraph that, it’s opinions..... nothing more 

And yes that’s my ego in play thinking your post was about myself ?

Its ‘me’ 

1 hour ago, KCG said:

People get blocked because they deliberately aim to be aggravating. If it was purely about opinion that would be fine, but some just love to argue for arguments’ sake.

Or are angry because they have an ‘angry’ tag. Can’t think who that would be, mind 

8 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Does anyone actually know if he was a regular attendee for 40 years? I’ve never heard any evidence of him being so, but if I’ve missed it then fair enough.

I have no idea of Mel's attendance record year on year. I'm guessing he missed a lot of games, seasons even due to his business commitments but he's a Derby fan who was definitely there on the terraces in the 70's. He's a Littleover lad who loves his home town club.

21 hours ago, loweman2 said:

It was good to see Mel mingling and taking genuine time out to gauge the feeling of the fans and enter into conversation, he said that he had driven down and loved getting the opportunity to engage with supporters and he also sat in the upper tier to watch the game, saying he had been watching the rams for forty years from the terraces, a reminder that he a fan foremost and owner second.

9F5C8C10-1DF3-4256-9CC0-FABA6C34DF2C.jpeg

At the risk of sounding extremely obsequious, we are very fortunate to have Mel. He’s a chap with vision who only wants the best for Derby County and it’s only a matter of time before we go up. I believe that Mel has built very firm foundations into the Club that will bear fruit for years to come. I hope that we get some co-owners in soon that will take us on further together. If we were to write a 2nd edition of Peter Seddon’s “The men who made the Rams”, Mel Morris would feature strongly. 

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

At the risk of sounding extremely obsequious, we are very fortunate to have Mel. He’s a chap with vision who only wants the best for Derby County and it’s only a matter of time before we go up. I believe that Mel has built very firm foundations into the Club that will bear fruit for years to come. I hope that we get some co-owners in soon that will take us on further together. If we were to write a 2nd edition of Peter Seddon’s “The men who made the Rams”, Mel Morris would feature strongly. 

I know this is a thread to ostensibly doff our cap to Mel, and there are many things to acknowledge - including the fact he is a devoted fan, and has been willing to plough huge amounts of his personal wealth into the club.  I hope for him, and indeed us, that it is only a short matter of time before we go up, as l and many others are less convinced that we are on the firmest of foundations.  Just to remind you we lost c£900,000 per week from trading activities in 2017/18.  Please tell me you don’t deal in finance or groundworks by day.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I know this is a thread to ostensibly doff our cap to Mel, and there are many things to acknowledge - including the fact he is a devoted fan, and has been willing to plough huge amounts of his personal wealth into the club.  I hope for him, and indeed us, that it is only a short matter of time before we go up, as l and many others are less convinced that we are on the firmest of foundations.  Just to remind you we lost c£900,000 per week from trading activities in 2017/18.  Please tell me you don’t deal in finance or groundworks by day.

I’m not going to be pulled into a debate based on half-knowns and suppositions. However I will say that between us Mel is the only one who seems to have been astute enough to amass a fortune big enough to own a football club like ours. And yes there are risks and gambles some of which do and some of which don’t pay off but no amount of conjecture is going to switch my view. Happy for you to have a different view based on your superior knowledge of finance and football. 

48 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’m not going to be pulled into a debate based on half-knowns and suppositions. However I will say that between us Mel is the only one who seems to have been astute enough to amass a fortune big enough to own a football club like ours. And yes there are risks and gambles some of which do and some of which don’t pay off but no amount of conjecture is going to switch my view. Happy for you to have a different view based on your superior knowledge of finance and football. 

Happy not to debate, but just to say l very much doubt l have a superior knowledge to you of either finance or football matters. Just to confirm, however, I try not to post information based on half-knowns, suppositions or conjecture.  I based my comments on the accounts filed by DCFC (Sevco 5112 Ltd), but am happy to be corrected if l have not interpreted them correctly. For the record, I sincerely hope this adventure works out well for Mel.

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Happy not to debate, but just to say l very much doubt l have a superior knowledge to you of either finance or football matters. Just to confirm, however, I try not to post information based on half-knowns, suppositions or conjecture.  I based my comments on the accounts filed by DCFC (Sevco 5112 Ltd), but am happy to be corrected if l have not interpreted them correctly. For the record, I sincerely hope this adventure works out well for Mel.

I wasn’t suggesting you do @i-Ram; apologies if that came across as such. Much debate on here at times is based on conjecture especially with regard to finances and press spin. We all make errors and wrong turns in life but compared to some owners in football I happen to think we have one of the better ones. I too hope it works out with Mel at the helm...he deserves it. 

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I wasn’t suggesting you do @i-Ram; apologies if that came across as such. Much debate on here at times is based on conjecture especially with regard to finances and press spin. We all make errors and wrong turns in life but compared to some owners in football I happen to think we have one of the better ones. I too hope it works out with Mel at the helm...he deserves it. 

No need to apologise Ella. Whilst I have always been concerned with some aspects of the running of our club over the last 4 years under Mel’s stewardship, I agree he does deserve that his project works out really well. I have never doubted he sleeps, eats and drinks DCFC. COYR!!!

23 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

So if Mel did manage to find Co-owners/investors etc who can inject cash, how can they spend it without falling further foul of FFP? 

This is something that I have been pondering but can’t get my head around. 

Simply put, there is an increased allowable seasonal loss if the owner(s) or related party injects funds/equity to cover it.

The specific numbers for EFL, I think, are different but the principle is the same as UEFA describe it:

3) Are clubs no longer allowed to have losses?

To be exact, clubs can spend up to €5million more than they earn per assessment period (three years). However it can exceed this level to a certain limit, if it is entirely covered by a direct contribution/payment from the club owner(s) or a related party. This prevents the build-up of unsustainable debt.

The limits are:
• €45m for assessment periods 2013/14 and 2014/15
• €30m for assessment periods 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18

In order to promote investment in stadiums, training facilities, youth development and women’s football (from 2015), all such costs are excluded from the break-even calculation.

23 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I don’t get it, the cynic in me thinks this is all a typical PR stunt yet again...... we used to mock and laugh at our lot down the road for this constantly. 

I’ll leave it there 

Yes but the difference is, you know as soon as this picture was taken, Uncle Fawaz jumped straight back in his mini van, that was idling at the side of the road, and ducked off his executive box.  I don't see any evidence of Mel courting the cameras.  What's he gonna do, tell everyone stick their cameras up their arse???

image.png.de2e3b393c347b3ed1162ca791bec88d.png

On 07/04/2019 at 11:34, loweman2 said:

It was good to see Mel mingling and taking genuine time out to gauge the feeling of the fans and enter into conversation, he said that he had driven down...

No way would he have driven down... He has a flat in London, so would have gone by train... From Derby Station... He never drives... or summat like that, anyway!

#ITK-ish

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

No way would he have driven down... He has a flat in London, so would have gone by train... From Derby Station... He never drives... or summat like that, anyway!

#ITK-ish

Why does he have such beautiful cars then? He must drive them sometimes 

20 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

#ITK-ish

so who are you saying is a liar ? me or him ?

is that the most constructive comment that you could muster up ? 

Archived