Mel Morris

Mazzaram

Brilliant to see him mingling with the fans outside the Griffin pub yesterday. 'He's one of our own...' It was also good to see Lloydy off Soccer am in the same location, starting the bounce for us. Overall, I thought it was an excellent game played by two very committed teams. Great to see the 'high press' back. On another day, we could have won (and equally could have lost!). Thought it was a clear penalty. Ref was incompetent. 'You don't know what you're doing...'

Great support. When we have an owner like Mel, who can be surprised about the passion of the fans. Great new Harry Wilson song. Sorry, I have realised I have wandered off topic a bit here. Just had such a good day yesterday, so I thought I'd post my reflections to counter some of the bad stuff that happened.

On to Blackburn Tuesday. UTR!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to watching the full 90. It seems as though it was chalk and cheese in comparison to the 1-1 bore fest last season.

for once Ed Dawes actually got something right when he observed mid-way through the game that it reminded him of the 4-4 draw at huddersfield. 

It was good to see Mel mingling and taking genuine time out to gauge the feeling of the fans and enter into conversation, he said that he had driven down and loved getting the opportunity to engage with supporters and he also sat in the upper tier to watch the game, saying he had been watching the rams for forty years from the terraces, a reminder that he a fan foremost and owner second.

9F5C8C10-1DF3-4256-9CC0-FABA6C34DF2C.jpeg

I don’t get it, the cynic in me thinks this is all a typical PR stunt yet again...... we used to mock and laugh at our lot down the road for this constantly. 

I’ll leave it there 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I don’t get it, the cynic in me thinks this is all a typical PR stunt yet again...... we used to mock and laugh at our lot down the road for this constantly. 

I’ll leave it there 

You beat me to it, closely after the announcement that we only avoided FFP sanctions by having to sell our own ground then this piece of PR spin appears.

I remember a photo of Fawaz with the Forest fans being posted on here to the collective derision of all........how times have changed

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’ll leave it there 

Fawaz hadn't been watching Forest from the terraces for 40 years though.

Once a fan always a fan.

Thing is, Fawaz was never a fan, but some people just can’t bare anything positive being said about our owner.

Hope you’re all happy if we get a foreign owner who shows no passion and doesn’t give a second thought to the fans.

12 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’ll leave it there 

How is Mel supposed to win with our fans? He just about gets criticised for every decision he makes, how about maybe, just maybe, the life long Derby fan wanted to watch his club alongside the other fans?

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’ll leave it there 

Yes we did, and there is a clear difference between the two, not that you will see it.

IMG_0758.JPG

CLYzbgcWcAArhMF.png

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Once a fan always a fan.

Thing is, Fawaz was never a fan, but some people just can’t bare anything positive being said about our owner.

Hope you’re all happy if we get a foreign owner who shows no passion and doesn’t give a second thought to the fans.

Easy to predict who would wade in with their constant negative comments.

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

It was good to see Mel mingling and taking genuine time out to gauge the feeling of the fans and enter into conversation, he said that he had driven down and loved getting the opportunity to engage with supporters and he also sat in the upper tier to watch the game, saying he had been watching the rams for forty years from the terraces, a reminder that he a fan foremost and owner second.

9F5C8C10-1DF3-4256-9CC0-FABA6C34DF2C.jpeg

What concerns me about this picture, is that Mel appears not to be trusted to have his beer in a glass...

46 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Fawaz hadn't been watching Forest from the terraces for 40 years though.

And he didn’t actually put any money into the club 

ran up a huge set of loans that the club owed him / his family and tried to recoup it through sales of assomalonga, Antonio, Bererton and Burke and still managed to get them under an embargo before he cleared off 

Him and Mel are poles apart 

42 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How is Mel supposed to win with our fans? He just about gets criticised for every decision he makes, how about maybe, just maybe, the life long Derby fan wanted to watch his club alongside the other fans?

It's only a small minority who do this on here, and I suspect it is similar in real life. 

I find the constant negative repetition of some of these posters quite annoying and have them on ignore (as I am sure they do me!). However, others are great posters in general and I am at a loss to understand why they dislike Mel so much. 

I have only spoken to him a handful of times and have found him a genuine man with a big love of DCFC, open and friendly. He just happens to have enough money to own a football club.

Until I see any evidence that he hasn't got the best interests of our club at heart I will continue to support him. But because I don't jump into every anti-Mel debate it could look like I agree with the criticisms.

I don't.  I think there are many others like me who just find it all a bit tedious. 

I’m somewhere in between the @Mafiabob‘s and the Mel-lovers. He has shown a propensity to be a little bit like a politician in the past (not mentioning the stadium sale, “I will not sack Paul Clement”, etc), but it would be harsh to treat every move he makes as political. 

Does anyone actually know if he was a regular attendee for 40 years? I’ve never heard any evidence of him being so, but if I’ve missed it then fair enough.

55 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's only a small minority who do this on here, and I suspect it is similar in real life. 

I find the constant negative repetition of some of these posters quite annoying and have them on ignore (as I am sure they do me!). However, others are great posters in general and I am at a loss to understand why they dislike Mel so much. 

I have only spoken to him a handful of times and have found him a genuine man with a big love of DCFC, open and friendly. He just happens to have enough money to own a football club.

Until I see any evidence that he hasn't got the best interests of our club at heart I will continue to support him. But because I don't jump into every anti-Mel debate it could look like I agree with the criticisms.

I don't.  I think there are many others like me who just find it all a bit tedious. 

Where have I ever said I disliked the guy? Think people wanna read what they read to be honest.

If by questioning what he does is seen as negative I may as well say nothing ever again (I’m sure a few would like that).

As @Angry Ram pointed out recently, if he wasn’t from Derby, you’d be all kicking off like mad at his tenure here. Once again for all those call me negative, I’m quite happy to have egg on my face and be totally wrong about the guy and if he achieves his aims. I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong.

But one things for sure, I’ll not be shouting from the rooftops if we spiral into trouble because of his actions whilst here. 

People often rate out of ten a lot on here. Here’s one for Mel. 4/10..... no doubt intentions are ok, but I’m sorry it’s been backwards since he took full control. We are average because of his decisions. Quote me all you like, but I’ll continue to question the club, instead of being blindsided by “beers with the fans” and calling him a legend. He’ll be the reason Bogle and some younger players will get picked off over the summer.

Feel free to mock, I’m frustrated more than anything, so please don’t say I hate the guy because I don’t. Think that’s unfair 

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Once a fan always a fan.

More than happy to be run as a business like many other successful football clubs. Irrespective of where they are from

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Fair enough I might be wrong and harsh I’ll concede, just find it funny he does this after a set of financial results showing we had to do something to the stadium to keep tight within FFP

Archived