17/18 Financial Results

Kinder

3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Mel Morris you sneaky minx, cue the meltdown from Leeds/Forest/Brum/any top half team that we're not being fined millions and have a 25 point deduction on us. 

Forests ground is owned by the council .... so they can take a running jump ?

so somewhere along the line my council tax goes towards keeping that poo tip running cos they ain’t spending it on police officers lol

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Can see plenty of pros and cons to this.

Will be interesting to see how deal is structured. 

Also a bit sceptical that this wasn't announced before a fans forum where any questions could have been asked.

Think the opposite myself. Mel could have given himself an easy ride and some well deserved plaudits had he done so. He chose not to and I think that's to be admired personally. Quietly taking care of business... Isn't that what we want him to do?

What are the 'plenty of cons' btw? 

47 minutes ago, peachmyster said:

Well done Mel and the finance team 

anyone know when other teams have to post their finances 

I think most of them by now. Cardiff and Fulham both lost £34m and Wolves lost £55m. Some of that would be promotion bonuses. 

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Villa lost £32m and Sheffield United lost only £1.5m. 

That shows you what can be done on a budget. 

Money broadens the pool of players that you can sign but not necessarily the quality.

There are just a handful of well run clubs in the top two divisions of English football.

People are branding Mel Morris a genius because he's found a way for us to comply with FFP and avoid any points repercussions/transfer sanctions in the short term.

Unpopular opinion to those who think he's the Messiah, but if he hadn't brought in managers and financed our rancid transfer policy for the past 3 years or so then we'd still own our own ground.

Don't get me wrong, I know his heart is in the right place and he loves this club. But having a madman at the helm throwing money around, whilst it might have felt nice at the time, has left us in the long term without even a stadium.

This decision has only made the need to win promotion all the more urgent, for the long term sustainability of our club - our wage bill alone is still 137% of our turnover, before all other overheads.

Whether he loves this club or not, he is not running it in a sustainable way. This is nothing but a quick fix.

18 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

People are branding Mel Morris a genius because he's found a way for us to comply with FFP and avoid any points repercussions/transfer sanctions in the short term.

Unpopular opinion to those who think he's the Messiah, but if he hadn't brought in managers and financed our rancid transfer policy for the past 3 years or so then we'd still own our own ground.

Don't get me wrong, I know his heart is in the right place and he loves this club. But having a madman at the helm throwing money around, whilst it might have felt nice at the time, has left us in the long term without even a stadium.

This decision has only made the need to win promotion all the more urgent, for the long term sustainability of our club - our wage bill alone is still 137% of our turnover, before all other overheads.

Whether he loves this club or not, he is not running it in a sustainable way. This is nothing but a quick fix.

What's rancid is the hyperbole you've insisted on using to make a very ordinary point. Removes any will to respond sensibly to the point you're trying to make IMO. 

I wonder how many of those saying "this gives us a chance to get our house in order" are genuinely looking forward to another Nigel Clough era?

All Nigel's hard work to keep us competitive whilst turning our finances around have been undone in a matter of years.

And now we'll have to do it all again, but this time we don't have a £40m asset as a safety net.

And all this whilst having a fan base (whilst not unique in this criticism) that is incredibly impatient and demands performances and results.

We have to pray Morris doesn't fall out with the club in the future. 

15 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

... Unpopular opinion to those who think he's the Messiah, but if he hadn't brought in managers and financed our rancid transfer policy for the past 3 years or so then we'd still own our own ground...

Maybe he feels so unbelievably shitty and guilty for all these mistakes he's made, that he was just desperate to find a way of throwing even more of his vast millions at us, without it getting us into trouble with the game's rulers.  Maybe he has lay awake for the last 1,000 nights thinking "I'm so sorry... How can I ever repay you"!

... Or maybe when he was young, instead of wanting to drive a train, or fly a plane, he always dreamt of owning a football stadium?

Either way, he'll do for me!

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Think the opposite myself. Mel could have given himself an easy ride and some well deserved plaudits had he done so. He chose not to and I think that's to be admired personally. Quietly taking care of business... Isn't that what we want him to do?

What are the 'plenty of cons' btw? 

But there's more questions than answers doing what has been done.

Potential cons:-

Club no longer owns the ground. Of course this won't be a problem if it is a long term lease.

Rent will be an FFP hit. Of course this won't be a problem if it's a pepeppercorn rent.

Potential revenues from the ground will now be diverted to another company. May not be a problem if MM intends to funnel this money back into the club. But if he intends to do this not sure why he would take the ground out of the club in the first place.

Cannot see how the club will now be attractive to potential investors. Although obviously this will now deter potential asset strippers.

I'm pretty sure MM has the clubs intentions at heart although this potentially looks a way of him recouping some of his losses.

To sit there for an hour and a half talking about FFP but not even mentioning this just seems a bit disingenuous to me.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

But there's more questions than answers doing what has been done.

Potential cons:-

Club no longer owns the ground. Of course this won't be a problem if it is a long term lease.

Rent will be an FFP hit. Of course this won't be a problem if it's a pepeppercorn rent.

Potential revenues from the ground will now be diverted to another company. May not be a problem if MM intends to funnel this money back into the club. But if he intends to do this not sure why he would take the ground out of the club in the first place.

Cannot see how the club will now be attractive to potential investors. Although obviously this will now deter potential asset strippers.

I'm pretty sure MM has the clubs intentions at heart although this potentially looks a way of him recouping some of his losses.

To sit there for an hour and a half talking about FFP but not even mentioning this just seems a bit disingenuous to me.

Lot of 'if, buts and maybes' there. The slant you have taken, with no more knowledge of MM's motivations than any of us on here, is not terribly complimentary or trusting. I'll leave it there because I really don't agree with a single word you've written so there's no point in us discussing it further really.

It's worth bearing in mind, as an asset of community value, and therefore on the register of such things, Pride Park can't be sold to a group outside Mels control without a moratorium on such a  sale, giving us a modicum of control over its Ultimate ownership.

Archived