The Politics Thread 2019

Day

After Andrea Leadsom resignation from the cabinet, it looks as if May's premiership is coming to the end. The vultures are circling, the contenders to replace her are starting to vie for postion to be elected the next PM.

So the Tories will now be more focused on a leadership election, than they will be on brexit. As usual the conservatives along with a number of senior MPs are more concerned about themselves and their party than the well being of our nation.

But that comes as no surprise, as it is for exactly this same reason that the country is in the mess it's in.

With a failed leader and a failing government. The country would expect a general election to be called, the Tories won't want to contest one and are scared that an election called now would be a disaster for them. So the country will remain in limbo over brexit as the Tories continue trying to save themselves at the expense of the country and it's people.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot encapsulate the utter journey of beligirence, bile, inability to listen or compromise and unmatched stupidity that has been's Theresa May-nots leadership (even that word is a joke) better than the fact that she refused to meet ministers today to discuss her deal.

She is an absolute farce of a politician, an apparatchik that Brezhnev would have been proud of in that she gets a message, sticks to it and will not change it even if you clubbed her in the face with a nailed baseball bat. For anyone who says she was somehow dealt a bum deal in a hard time then I say she bought all of this on herself.

And now she is gone (past tense) - though she is so utterly stupid there will be her fingernails dug into the desk for the next person to find - she has the rest of her days to somehow eventually recognise that when she came into post, convinced that at least history would remember her better than the chump she took over from, she even failed to clear that very lowest of bars.

Goodbye May-not - you have caused the country years of circuitous conversation, wasted time, millions of pounds and potentially have permanently removed any chance this country had to act upon a decision that none of us agreed on with some sort of civic responsibility.

Brexit means brexit my rear end....

Amazing to think that the Liberal Democrats, who lost all credibility in their coalition years, may yet resurface as a force in British politics, purely because the two main parties are devoid of leadership.

Vince Cable actually looks good against Corbyn and whichever snake finally sinks their fangs into May.

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Amazing to think that the Liberal Democrats, who lost all credibility in their coalition years, may yet resurface as a force in British politics, purely because the two main parties are devoid of leadership.

Vince Cable actually looks good against Corbyn and whichever snake finally sinks their fangs into May.

Any remainers not voting Lib Dem today?

And leavers not voting for Farage?

I thought this election would have been bigger news to be honest. All I've read about is milkshake attacks and not much more.

I thought remainers may have clubbed together and used this as a bit of a proxy referendum, but not seen much of that. Maybe they haven't got the backing of corrupt businessmen/foreign powers?!

I assume Farage will get most votes and seats but the more remain parties will end up with the same number in total. Farage will claim that the 'will of the people' is that we leave and that the other parties are traitors, even when they get same votes in total.

I live in some hope that remain will have decent majority. Whilst Farage represents Hard brexit, many more moderate leavers will not vote for him and would either abstain, still vote tory or switch to Lib Dems.

Read an interesting article the other day how middle class areas are deserting tories and moving towards lib dem/green. These areas often have high turnout so fingers crossed.

This may all end up with enough reason for Labour to back a 2nd referendum and after a few months of yet more lies, we'll see a big remain win, supported by PM Johnson who is now a remainer as that is what he needed to do to get, and stay, in power.

I'm a leaver but voted for Lib Dems.

I've voted based on who I actually want to represent me in the parliament (because we might well be in it for the duration), rather than trying to turn it into another referendum.

I’m going to vote the party that has the least dedicated voters that know which way they will vote in 30 years time regardless of who the leader is, what is in the manifesto or what this country needs at the time. The least voters that spend their days trying to smear others, using terms such as gammon or libtards across social media. 

I don’t want to essentially pick a side of a school playground fight, I would rather use my vote on a party that is more interested in promoting themselves and what they will change, not use every second of airtime to sling mud and rally the keyboards.

Change is needed.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought remainers may have clubbed together and used this as a bit of a proxy referendum, but not seen much of that.

It's beyond ridiculous - reading last night that Change UK/The Independent Group or whatever they are called have had a massive fallout because half of them think people should vote Lib Dem today (to push the Remain agenda) and the other half think they shouldn't even though voting CUK won't win any seats

I'm with @Wolfie- we should be voting for who we think would best represent us in the European Parliament. None of this vote remain/leave stuff. That's not what it should be about

24 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

This is how you know he's a fraud..

But in his latest interview Mr Farage insisted a dramatic change in approach will be needed to care for Britain’s ageing population.

“There is no question that healthcare provision is going to have to be very much greater in ten years than it is today, with an ageing population, and we’re going to have to find ways to do it,” he said.

His facts are right - we have an ageing population, but jumping straight to an insurance-based system only benefits private health care companies (see the Whorlton thread as an example) and will lead to massive inequality in care for old people

And of course - there is an entire army of people working on ways to solve the known problem without resorting to a private insurance system

https://www.nhsconfed.org/news/2019/05/health-for-care-policy-exchange

https://news.sky.com/story/free-social-care-for-over-65s-would-save-nhs-16345bn-every-year-new-report-claims-11726603

So why don't disaster capitalists like Farage mention it?

How on earth Farage expects those who are currently over retirement age to be able to afford private health care or schemes financed by insurance is beyond me.

Yet another example of Farage-induced insanity, I suppose - the people who would be shafted the most are his core base.

Still, I suppose that they will have served their sole purpose, which would have been purely, simply and solely to get the money-grubbing charlatan elected in the first place.

Brexiteers, he is playing you like a fiddle - and he knows more about fiddles than most.

It's a shocking state of affairs. First of all can anyone explain to me why milkshakes have suddenly become the projectile of choice? Have I missed a link to something?

Secondly, if I'd have seen whoever did that I'd have had a right pop, no matter which party he represents.

Thirdly I'm not sure "attacked" is the right word. I don't think you can "attack" someone with a milkshake. Poor bloke.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

It's a shocking state of affairs. First of all can anyone explain to me why milkshakes have suddenly become the projectile of choice? Have I missed a link to something?

I think it started when Tommy Robinson and his hired thugs were surrounding an Asian guy and haranguing him. The lad just chucked it because he felt so intimidated. Needless to say, they reacted by giving him a good beating. With fists and feet.

I've seen it said that it's become the new "egging" because people have realised it's way more instagrammable than egg which is mostly transparent gloop

I'm a bit torn on it tbh. Is he an army veteran of 22 years standing or a representative of a party headed up by a charlatan that many genuinely fear could be a greater negative influence to our society than any we have seen for many a year? Ultimately, the ballot box is where you make your statement but I am sorry to say that a pensioner pushing Brexit is about as archetypal as it gets and I can understand people getting so frustrated that they feel the need to act in whatever way they feel able to be heard. Sadly, and strangely, this gentleman fails to see that the Brexit Party do condone a society where those who are not able to contribute do not deserve it's support. The beast would eventually eat itself.

As for chucking shakes, as I said I get why they feel the need but I wouldn't propose it as some form of underground protest. It not only gives them more publicity than they deserve but also strangely trivialises what is a very important point - this lot are dangerous, much more dangerous than this rosette wearing cmapainger likely realises.

15 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I think it started when Tommy Robinson and his hired thugs were surrounding an Asian guy and haranguing him. The lad just chucked it because he felt so intimidated. Needless to say, they reacted by giving him a good beating. With fists and feet.

I've seen it said that it's become the new "egging" because people have realised it's way more instagrammable than egg which is mostly transparent gloop

I did see that video. It was Tommy himself who was launching the punches. Of course my initial reaction was to hate him even more but then I think what would I have done under the same circumstances. I cant say for sure I wouldn't be so angry I'd try to hit whoever threw it.

I won't over egg (!!) the way he was speaking to the Asian guy to wind him up.

This is why I don't buy the Tommy Robinson is a nice guy just misunderstood angle.

I think he's the political version of Joey Barton.

"I've changed, I've changed, I'm going to use bigger words than i did before to prove how intelligent I am and how much I've changed, I'm just misunderstood!

Then suddenly from seemingly nowhere, he turns all Cindy Lauper and True Colours come shining through. "Crack!!! take that you little ducker." and that and that and and that, and I'm not stopping at four or five either, I'm going to pummell you to really prove a point! In fact if I can I'll kick you in the head while you're on the floor"

"I was provoked, it wasn't me, I've changed", 

Yeah righto Thomas, course you have.

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm a bit torn on it tbh. Is he an army veteran of 22 years standing or a representative of a party headed up by a charlatan that many genuinely fear could be a greater negative influence to our society than any we have seen for many a year? Ultimately, the ballot box is where you make your statement but I am sorry to say that a pensioner pushing Brexit is about as archetypal as it gets and I can understand people getting so frustrated that they feel the need to act in whatever way they feel able to be heard. Sadly, and strangely, this gentleman fails to see that the Brexit Party do condone a society where those who are not able to contribute do not deserve it's support. The beast would eventually eat itself.

As for chucking shakes, as I said I get why they feel the need but I wouldn't propose it as some form of underground protest. It not only gives them more publicity than they deserve but also strangely trivialises what is a very important point - this lot are dangerous, much more dangerous than this rosette wearing cmapainger likely realises.

I can understand the frustration felt by those that would like to see the Brexit vote honoured and unable to voice their opinions without milkshakes been thrown at them. 

I cannot understand the frustration felt by the side that throw the milkshakes. Don’t agree with them? Fine, don’t vote for them it really is as simple as that.

22 years in the army defending the country, or 22 years stacking shelves in a supermarket, it really doesn’t matter, this man has a right to vote and represent any party he wishes whether you, I or Bob with the milkshake agrees with him.

I’m not Farage’s biggest fan either for what it’s worth, I just think this is all pretty pathetic now and sadly we’re only going to see more incidents like this whilst people support these kinds of actions.

15 minutes ago, David said:

I can understand the frustration felt by those that would like to see the Brexit vote honoured and unable to voice their opinions without milkshakes been thrown at them. Sort of, the problem is that there is no way to honour a vote that was built around a lack of clarity and a few who chose to fill the vacuum with vague promises that allowed too many to interpret their own version of what they thought was going to happen

I cannot understand the frustration felt by the side that throw the milkshakes. Don’t agree with them? Fine, don’t vote for them it really is as simple as that. As I said, I think throwing milkshakes is a bit silly and doesn't really do anyone any favours. 

22 years in the army defending the country, or 22 years stacking shelves in a supermarket, it really doesn’t matter, this man has a right to vote and represent any party he wishes whether you, I or Bob with the milkshake agrees with him. I never made a point of him being an army veteran so we are in violent agreement. Roll out that Voltaire quote again, I don't agree with what you say but I will fight to the last full fat McFlurry to protect your right to say it.

I’m not Farage’s biggest fan either for what it’s worth, I just think this is all pretty pathetic now and sadly we’re only going to see more incidents like this whilst people support these kinds of actions. It would have to get a lot more pathetic than this for me to even start to think that Farage could be part of the solution

Archived