The Politics Thread 2019

David

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I think it started when Tommy Robinson and his hired thugs were surrounding an Asian guy and haranguing him. The lad just chucked it because he felt so intimidated. Needless to say, they reacted by giving him a good beating. With fists and feet.

I've seen it said that it's become the new "egging" because people have realised it's way more instagrammable than egg which is mostly transparent gloop

Yes Stive. Everything is the fault of right wingers. Even the actions of left wingers.  ?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Needless said:

Yes Stive. Everything is the fault of right wingers. Even the actions of left wingers.  ?

Not sure that many right wingers would want to consider Tommy Robinson one of their own. Do you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/world/europe/milkshake-nigel-farage.html

“It turns a symbol used by the alt right — milk — to symbolize ‘whiteness’ and to mock ethnic groups with a greater predisposition to lactose intolerance, into an image of dramatic opposition,” - Benjamin Franks - senior lecturer of social and political philosophy at the university of Glasgow.

?

For anyone who doesn't know, this idea about milk being used to "symbolize whiteness" was invented and spread by trolls to see if anyone would be stupid enough to buy into such a ridiculous theory. Take a bow Dr Franks. ?

11 minutes ago, Needless said:

Really?

People are comfortable defending Tommy Robinson?

I said a couple of days ago this thread is class 'cos outside of football it shows passion, it shows intelligence, it shows views of society good and bad.

It shows people liking and even starting posts defending Tommy Robinson, I may be harsh to judge but it's really made me think about how I view a couple of posters I really like.

The guy should be in prison. He is an incredibly dangerous and violence provoking thug dressed in a suit. He can't control his own emotions or his need to get physical and he's meant to be the leader.

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Not sure that many right wingers would want to consider Tommy Robinson one of their own. Do you?

Oh. That's true. Allow me to amend. Ahem.

Everything is the fault of Tommy Robinson character, even the actions of everyone else.

Better?

9 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Really?

I said a couple of days ago this thread is class 'cos outside of football it shows passion, it shows intelligence, it shows views of society good and bad.

It shows people liking and even starting posts defending Tommy Robinson, I may be harsh to judge but it's really made me think about how I view a couple of posters I really like.

The guy should be in prison. He is an incredibly dangerous and violence provoking thug dressed in a suit. He can't control his own emotions or his need to get physical and he's meant to be the leader.

Ronnie. I love you baby, but have a read what I actually typed. 

I've been reading this thread intently.

Every time there is any criticism of Tommy someone (or some 3 or 4) somehow justify what he does and what he's done since he got into the public eye.

The guy has been pure scum since he aired his views. He's not changed and he won't change.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

How on earth Farage expects those who are currently over retirement age to be able to afford private health care or schemes financed by insurance is beyond me.

Yet another example of Farage-induced insanity, I suppose - the people who would be shafted the most are his core base.

Still, I suppose that they will have served their sole purpose, which would have been purely, simply and solely to get the money-grubbing charlatan elected in the first place.

Brexiteers, he is playing you like a fiddle - and he knows more about fiddles than most.

There was, once upon a time, a statutory objective of the financial services regulator to improve consumer education and financial capability, because, in general, the public find it very difficult to engage in these subjects (because they tend to be worrying, deeply technical and numbers drive and we all hated maths at school right?)

That has disappeared and so the general uneducated public are deemed not to be capable of any detailed rational analysis as the psephologists have "worked out" that anything more than a 5 word soundbite does not improve your apparent electability.

People would like to believe Farage has the answers. So they are susceptible to believing that "insurance" is the same as "free funding". Of course, it isn't and the development of Obamacare in the US us an example.

There NEEDS to be more critical analysis - proper analysis, not just shouting at each other.

3 hours ago, David said:

Ex army veteran of 22 years. Nice. 

Agreed, it's wrong. I could just as easily produce a photo of Jo Cox if you like.

42 minutes ago, Needless said:

Everything is the fault of Tommy Robinson character, even the actions of everyone else.

A curious argument. You could instead argue in good faith that the guy who threw the milkshake should have kept his cool, likewise you could argue that it wasn't very nice for someone who is trying to be taken seriously as a politician to surround an individual and intimidate them.

We can see both sides of that argument - but that would involve balance. Which seems to be in short supply whenever anyone brings up Tommeh's name.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those people who pop up to defend him regardless  - that they are doing so through gritted teeth, because actually they know he's a nasty piece of work, driving an agenda of racial tension ending in violence. It's just that they really really value freedom of speech.

Or at least be honest and tell us why you like him so much

1 minute ago, eddie said:

Agreed, it's wrong. I could just as easily produce a photo of Jo Cox if you like.

Why would I like that? Do you think I would defend her killing? I wouldn’t, nor would I try and compare it to a splash of milkshake. 

This happened today though, it’s in the news, I believe it is wrong which is why I posted it. 

Jo Cox’s death isn’t a bar which everything should be judged on now, brush it off because they haven’t died. 

I had a pint thrown over me at a Derby match. I confronted the guy (actually he confronted me, but I did use inappropriate language), he apologised the next day, publicly, and I accepted the apology. I actually see no difference in what happened to me, compared to the ex-army guy. Neither should have happened.

Does that answer your question?

What happened to the old boy was disgusting and someone should be picking up 80 hours community service for it, the bill for his washing, court costs and £50 to buy him a few beers.

What happened to Jo Cox was brutal evil of the lowest stripe, delivered by an inadequate who should be, and is, doing life for it.

I don't understand why we need the whataboutery?

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

A curious argument. You could instead argue in good faith that the guy who threw the milkshake should have kept his cool, likewise you could argue that it wasn't very nice for someone who is trying to be taken seriously as a politician to surround an individual and intimidate them.

We can see both sides of that argument - but that would involve balance. Which seems to be in short supply whenever anyone brings up Tommeh's name.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those people who pop up to defend him regardless  - that they are doing so through gritted teeth, because actually they know he's a nasty piece of work, driving an agenda of racial tension ending in violence. It's just that they really really value freedom of speech.

Or at least be honest and tell us why you like him so much

It was a facetious argument, as I'm sure you know.

Let's have one thing rightly understood. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is an arse. I do not like him. He's manipulative and violent. 

There is a debate to be had around why a manipulative, violent, dishonest hooligan can gain so much traction, but I don't intend to kick that off here.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

I had a pint thrown over me at a Derby match. I confronted the guy (actually he confronted me, but I did use inappropriate language), he apologised the next day, publicly, and I accepted the apology. I actually see no difference in what happened to me, compared to the ex-army guy. Neither should have happened.

Does that answer your question?

Doesn’t really answer it no, why would I like to see a picture of Jo Cox, do you believe I would defend her killing?

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Really?

If you defend Tommy Robinson, then in my mind you ARE Tommy Robinson, or might as well be.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Why would I like that? Do you think I would defend her killing? I wouldn’t, nor would I try and compare it to a splash of milkshake. 

This happened today though, it’s in the news, I believe it is wrong which is why I posted it. 

Jo Cox’s death isn’t a bar which everything should be judged on now, brush it off because they haven’t died. 

Its political violence top trumps, one side buys a new suit the other side buys a coffin ?

Politics is emotive but shouldn't ever progress being talking.  Throwing a milkshake over Tommy Robinson should be treated the same as egging Jeremy Corbyn (28 days) and killing someone should result in life - apply the law of the land fairly and equally.  Turning it into a joke when UKIP get milkshaked or justifying because its not murder shows not only massive bias but its also a bit sick.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm a bit torn on it tbh. Is he an army veteran of 22 years standing or a representative of a party headed up by a charlatan that many genuinely fear could be a greater negative influence to our society than any we have seen for many a year? Ultimately, the ballot box is where you make your statement but I am sorry to say that a pensioner pushing Brexit is about as archetypal as it gets and I can understand people getting so frustrated that they feel the need to act in whatever way they feel able to be heard. Sadly, and strangely, this gentleman fails to see that the Brexit Party do condone a society where those who are not able to contribute do not deserve it's support. The beast would eventually eat itself.

As for chucking shakes, as I said I get why they feel the need but I wouldn't propose it as some form of underground protest. It not only gives them more publicity than they deserve but also strangely trivialises what is a very important point - this lot are dangerous, much more dangerous than this rosette wearing cmapainger likely realises.

1 minute ago, David said:

Doesn’t really answer it no, why would I like to see a picture of Jo Cox, do you believe I would defend her killing?

There are plenty who consider that an attack on a prominent right-winger with a fully-loaded milkshake is, if not exactly the same, purely justification in their minds that 'both sides are bad'.

Farage, for instance, is on public record as saying, when 'Leave' won the referendum, that "Nobody got shot". I just like to point out the inconsistencies and, let's face it, outright lies, that he uses.

Archived