The Politics Thread 2019

David

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

There are plenty who consider that an attack on a prominent right-winger with a fully-loaded milkshake is, if not exactly the same, purely justification in their minds that 'both sides are bad'.

Farage, for instance, is on public record as saying, when 'Leave' won the referendum, that "Nobody got shot". I just like to point out the inconsistencies and, let's face it, outright lies, that he uses.

Ok Eddie, but just to let you know where I’m at.

I’m not an entrenched left wing, right wing or alt right supporter. 

I haven’t got the time of day for Corbyn, May, Farage or Tommy Robinson. 

I didn’t vote in Brexit as I had no idea what I would be voting for, and to be honest if a second referendum came around tomorrow I still wouldn’t.

All I have seen today on social media today is a man outside have milkshake thrown on him for wearing a rosette of a party which someone clearly disagrees with.

To me that’s wrong, maybe I was wrong to include his 22 years of service as we all have a right to vote in this country, service or no service. 

I haven’t posted it in an attempt to justify, compare or anything like that, nor do I have an axe to wield at one particular side, in fact if you read my earlier post I’m pretty much sick of both sides of it. I would say I’m a swinger but on this forum it’s probably best I don’t.

Promise you, If tomorrow Corbyn or any left supporter gets milkshake or egged in the streets I will be back on and shake my head in the same way. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Its political violence top trumps, one side buys a new suit the other side buys a coffin ?

Politics is emotive but shouldn't ever progress being talking.  Throwing a milkshake over Tommy Robinson should be treated the same as egging Jeremy Corbyn (28 days) and killing someone should result in life - apply the law of the land fairly and equally.  Turning it into a joke when UKIP get milkshaked or justifying because its not murder shows not only massive bias but its also a bit sick.

If the guy had the milkshake in his fist and punched Farage or Robinson in the face with it, then I would agree - but despite you trying your hardest to make the two occrrtences equivalent, they aren't.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Ok Eddie, but just to let you know where I’m at.

I’m not an entrenched left wing, right wing or alt right supporter. 

I haven’t got the time of day for Corbyn, May, Farage or Tommy Robinson. 

I didn’t vote in Brexit as I had no idea what I would be voting for, and to be honest if a second referendum came around tomorrow I still wouldn’t.

All I have seen today on social media today is a man outside have milkshake thrown on him for wearing a rosette of a party which someone clearly disagrees with.

To me that’s wrong, maybe I was wrong to include his 22 years of service as we all have a right to vote in this country, service or no service. 

I haven’t posted it in an attempt to justify, compare or anything like that, nor do I have an axe to wield at one particular side, in fact if you read my earlier post I’m pretty much sick of both sides of it. I would say I’m a swinger but on this forum it’s probably best I don’t.

Promise you, If tomorrow Corbyn or any left supporter gets milkshake or egged in the streets I will be back on and shake my head in the same way. 

I totally agree.

28 minutes ago, Needless said:

Let's have one thing rightly understood. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon is an arse. I do not like him. He's manipulative and violent. 

There is a debate to be had around why a manipulative, violent, dishonest hooligan can gain so much traction, but I don't intend to kick that off here.

I've tried to have that debate on here before but tbh its not worth my time anymore as unfortunately some people equate defending Tommy Robinson with being Tommy Robinson ?

There is a debate to be had about his actions, his media profile and why he has such a following despite being almost entirely removed from social media, but I guess its easier to call him a nazi and bury your head in the sand.  Meanwhile, his following keeps growing and (I haven't been following his campaign) there is a chance he could be an elected MEP by the weekend...

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm a bit torn on it tbh. Is he an army veteran of 22 years standing or a representative of a party headed up by a charlatan that many genuinely fear could be a greater negative influence to our society than any we have seen for many a year? Ultimately, the ballot box is where you make your statement but I am sorry to say that a pensioner pushing Brexit is about as archetypal as it gets and I can understand people getting so frustrated that they feel the need to act in whatever way they feel able to be heard. Sadly, and strangely, this gentleman fails to see that the Brexit Party do condone a society where those who are not able to contribute do not deserve it's support. The beast would eventually eat itself.

As for chucking shakes, as I said I get why they feel the need but I wouldn't propose it as some form of underground protest. It not only gives them more publicity than they deserve but also strangely trivialises what is a very important point - this lot are dangerous, much more dangerous than this rosette wearing cmapainger likely realises.

I'm not a pensioner,  I've never applied to MENSA but mentally I'm fairly clued up   I'm not a gammon faced nationalist, I know a variety of other people of other ethnic groups who are good friends.  Incidentally, three of them voted to leave .  I am second generation Irish on one side so am also part immigrant .  I'm a fairly relaxed person without any milkshake agenda.  If we are considering archetypal.  Perhaps we  should look at James Cordon demanding action on the streets to force another vote - he spends most of his life in LA.  Or maybe Emma Thompson flying in to demonstrate on global awareness .   She then took a business class flight back to the USA on a super polluting plane and ate a pile of beef.  Both choose to pay tax due on earnings into a country that intends building a giant wall to keep people out.  Do as I say and all that . 

18 minutes ago, eddie said:

If the guy had the milkshake in his fist and punched Farage or Robinson in the face with it, then I would agree - but despite you trying your hardest to make the two occrrtences equivalent, they aren't.

Am I missing something eddie? Are you suggesting that there is a higher bar for violence against people you disagree with to be unacceptable versus violence against people you do agree with?

Running over Farage with a combine harvester equals one serious chinese burn on Jeremy Corbyn? 

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not a pensioner,  I've never applied to MENSA but mentally I'm fairly clued up   I'm not a gammon faced nationalist, I know a variety of other people of other ethnic groups who are good friends.  Incidentally, three of them voted to leave .  I am second generation Irish on one side so am also part immigrant .  I'm a fairly relaxed person without any milkshake agenda.  If we are considering archetypal.  Perhaps we  should look at James Cordon demanding action on the streets to force another vote - he spends most of his life in LA.  Or maybe Emma Thompson flying in to demonstrate on global awareness .   She then took a business class flight back to the USA on a super polluting plane and ate a pile of beef.  Both choose to pay tax due on earnings into a country that intends building a giant wall to keep people out.  Do as I say and all that . 

Phew - that is some steam vented. Totally unrelated to what I posted but hope you feel better for it.

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've tried to have that debate on here before but tbh its not worth my time anymore as unfortunately some people equate defending Tommy Robinson with being Tommy Robinson ?

There is a debate to be had about his actions, his media profile and why he has such a following despite being almost entirely removed from social media, but I guess its easier to call him a nazi and bury your head in the sand.  Meanwhile, his following keeps growing and (I haven't been following his campaign) there is a chance he could be an elected MEP by the weekend...

I'd hold off on calling him a Nazi, it's a big leap (or at least a series of small leaps) to get him to that stage but I don't see anyone burying their heads in the sand over Tommy. You cannot argue with facts, he isn't a nazi but he is certainly far right leaning. Surely you accept that and surely you understand why folk cannot stand or tolerate people like that.

The reason he has so much traction is unfortunately as I've said often and loudly. The majority of us aren't clever, in fact the majority of us are thick as two short planks. I won't stick eddie's label on those folk but I would say anyone who vottes for him is either stupid or has racist tendencies. You simply couldn't vote for him otherwise. Knowing how he preaches and knowing how he's behaved in the past AND recently.

I also think even if he is voted an MEP, in the current climate it's not a position that carries any clout at tall and he'll be out of that particular job in October.

Can I ask a direct question.

Which of his policies or views past or present is it you think are ok and worth folk (clever or stupid) getting behind.

If you say none then I'm not too sure what you're starting point of thinking parts of him are ok and he's not the issue.

6 minutes ago, Needless said:

Am I missing something eddie? Are you suggesting that there is a higher bar for violence against people you disagree with to be unacceptable versus violence against people you do agree with?

Running over Farage with a combine harvester equals one serious chinese burn on Jeremy Corbyn? 

A punch in the face hurts. It's a violent act.

Throwing a milk shake as stupid as the clowns are for doing it doesn't risk potential pain and IS NOT A VIOLENT ACT. It's an act of narrow minded stupidity but there clearly is a difference.

I think that's his point and I can't see how you can possibly disagree.

Is throwing a milkshake over a guys shirt a violent act? Yes or no?

17 minutes ago, Needless said:

Should the fan who threw a pint over me have been jailed?

The beer wasn't even Belgian.

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

A punch in the face hurts. It's a violent act.

Throwing a milk shake as stupid as the clowns are for doing it doesn't risk potential pain and IS NOT A VIOLENT ACT. It's an act of narrow minded stupidity but there clearly is a difference.

I think that's his point and I can't see how you can possibly disagree.

Is throwing a milkshake over a guys shirt a violent act? Yes or no?

Short answer to your Yes/No would have to be 'Yes'.

I did preface my question to @eddie with an 'Am I missing something...', maybe I am, but I thought we were talking about Corbyn being egged vs the old boy today being covered in mikshake? Equivalent to me. A punch would be worse than a milkshake being thrown, as I'm sure the courts would agree all else being equal. Was the Corbyn egging thing associated with a punch up then?

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Should the fan who threw a pint over me have been jailed?

The beer wasn't even Belgian.

No. Unless it Was Tim Taylor's Landlord, in which case burn the bar steward at the stake.

https://news.sky.com/video/moment-jeremy-corbyn-egged-by-brexit-supporter-11675076

I take it this is the incident I missed about Corbyn? Wasn't a punch, wasn't a throw, a gentle slap sufficient to break the egg. ********* behaviour, not worthy of prison. Neither is milkshaking someone. 

Show me one person who has ever been left reeling in pain after a milkshake throw.

Sorry pal but I can't take that seriously.

https://news.sky.com/video/moment-jeremy-corbyn-egged-by-brexit-supporter-11675076

I'm not a jezza fan, in fact I loathe ALL politicians of today. I genuinely cannot think of any one politician I trust never mind like. 

The physical act of the egg smash over the head from 3 inches is so far different from a cup of liquid thrown (even if it was thrown from the same distance) 

Now, if the lad who threw the milkshake at Tommy had smashed the plastic cup into he side of his face or to the top of his crown I'd be on your side.

There was only one ACT OF VIOLENCE in that incident with Tommy and it didn't come from the Asian lad. 

Under your own rules, how come you're not screaming from the rooftops to see Tommy jailed for physical assault?

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Show me one person who has ever been left reeling in pain after a milkshake throw.

Sorry pal but I can't take that seriously.

I'm not a jezza fan, in fact I loathe ALL politicians of today. I genuinely cannot think of any one politician I trust never mind like. 

The physical act of the egg smash over the head from 3 inches is so far different from a cup of liquid thrown (even if it was thrown from the same distance) 

Now, if the lad who threw the milkshake at Tommy had smashed the plastic cup into he side of his face or to the top of his crown I'd be on your side.

There was only one ACT OF VIOLENCE in that incident with Tommy and it didn't come from the Asian lad. 

Under your own rules, how come you're not screaming from the rooftops to see Tommy jailed for physical assault?

I assume that's at me.

I'm not asking for anyone to be in prison for any crime related to or resembling the showdown from that Benny Hill tune about the milkman.

26 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It clearly was related .  Thanks for the well thought out retort .

How? I didn't mention you, or allude to even one of the references you cited. All I said, which seems to have animated you, was that pensioners voting for Brexit is a stereotype. It is, irrespective of whether I either agree with it or believe it to be fair in foundation. I'm utterly at a loss what it has to do with Emma Thompson attending a climate change protest or James Corden. Happy to hear you out, I just don't get the point you are trying to say I meant in my original post.

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Well the guy that milkshaked Faraged has since been charged with common assault and criminal damage, it will be interesting to see what punishment, if any, he receives.

As for punching back, thats just connecting with the electorate ?

Archived