The Politics Thread 2019

Day

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

More people in the UK voted for parties with a remain position than a leave position in the latest election, so it would say it's entirely undemocratic for them to have no representation in this process. FPTP ensured the size of the majority, not the actual numbers.

Except that you can't say that because Labour didn't have a Remain position and their proposal still had a Leave option in their second referendum. There will have been Labour voters who were wanting to vote for their soft Brexit option.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

More people in the UK voted for parties with a remain position than a leave position in the latest election, so I would say it's entirely undemocratic for them to have no representation in this process. FPTP ensured the size of the majority, not the actual numbers.

I believe Corbyn had lots of chances to be involved before. But chose to put party before his own beliefs. Didn't work out well in the end. 

13 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Good point, GboroRam.

The onus is now on the leavers to prove that they have what it takes to deliver.

To any leavers on this forum, if it goes as badly as a lot of people suspect it may, will you admit you were wrong? I will gladly hold my hands up if everything goes swimmingly from here.

Yes

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Who in their right mind removes the biggest single bargaining tool they have before going into negotiations?

Yeah, like come on EU, slap big tariffs on all the goods we're doing our best to try to sell to you, not to mention the services. It's going to hurt you more than it will hurt us. We'll even shorten the deadline.

Glad I'm not doing the negotiations.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I can't see any improved deal than EU membership.

But the great thing is, it's not my problem any more. It's Boris'.

If he gets a good deal, great.

If he doesn't - what will you say?

He'll say it was all Labour's fault. That's all he ever says

It's nearly a week since the election was won, but he's still going on about Labour - go figure. 

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Yeah, like come on EU, slap big tariffs on all the goods we're doing our best to try to sell to you, not to mention the services. It's going to hurt you more than it will hurt us. We'll even shorten the deadline.

Glad I'm not doing the negotiations.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-7796929/The-eurozones-economy-suffers-worst-quarterly-performance-2013.html

Time to play hardball is now.

47 minutes ago, cstand said:

Genuine question - do you think our economy will automatically boom when we leave the EU, if the EU itself is struggling with growth?

My gut feeling is that our economic destinies will be fatefully intertwined regardless of whether we are a member of the EU or not

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Genuine question - do you think our economy will automatically boom when we leave the EU, if the EU itself is struggling with growth?

My gut feeling is that our economic destinies will be fatefully intertwined regardless of whether we are a member of the EU or not

Unless we decide to go for a hard Brexit. When we'll crash regardless of how the EU performs

But all that is immaterial, let's get Brexit done.

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I know you didn't ask me but, for my two penneth:

1. IMO there will be an upturn in the UK once a deal is in place due to 3 years of delayed investment decisions starting to be given the green light. We'll probably start to see this in the new year - growing slowly until any trade deal is settled. My company has already seen an increase in orders since last Friday.

2. Increased government spending will boost the economy.

10 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

3. Even if the EU continues to struggle, in theory we will have fewer of our eggs in the one basket and so it will be less of a drag on us. The assumption being that we have trade deals with other countires/blocs in place.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Genuine question while  we’re at it will the Germans still want to sell BMW cars to us 

Obviously yes. But the tarrifs will no doubt be up for discussion. At which point we will discover quite how much of a premium British BMW owners are willing to pay for their chance to drive round in a twatmobile

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I know you didn't ask me but, for my two penneth:

1. IMO there will be an upturn in the UK once a deal is in place due to 3 years of delayed investment decisions starting to be given the green light. We'll probably start to see this in the new year - growing slowly until any trade deal is settled. My company has already seen an increase in orders since last Friday.

2. Increased government spending will boost the economy.

3. Even if the EU continues to struggle, in theory we will have fewer of our eggs in the one basket and so it will be less of a drag on us. The assumption being that we have trade deals with other countires/blocs in place.

As always - a balanced answer and bonus points for not mentioning Corbyn, Labour or Remoaners.

Other posters take note - it is possible

1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Obviously yes. But the tarrifs will no doubt be up for discussion. At which point we will discover quite how much of a premium British BMW owners are willing to pay for their chance to drive round in a twatmobile

So what’s your car then.  

Archived