The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Our council area Test Valley was spot on the national average. 48.1% remain 51.9% leave....

Southampton was more leave, Winchester (we are midway between) was remain by 17%.)

How about the result in the election for  Southampton and Winchester 

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Given that most of the time during these negotiations we had May's team around the table who proved to be completely incompetent I wouldn't imagine we are anywhere close to the kind of overall deal we need.

What you are overlooking is that we already trade with the EU, we already have a deal in place. Surely its tweaks to the arrangements that are already in place rather than rip up and start again?

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I can't see any improved deal than EU membership.

But the great thing is, it's not my problem any more. It's Boris'.

If he gets a good deal, great.

If he doesn't - what will you say?

It was a mistake to leave the EU. What is your timescale though?

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Good point, GboroRam.

The onus is now on the leavers to prove that they have what it takes to deliver.

To any leavers on this forum, if it goes as badly as a lot of people suspect it may, will you admit you were wrong? I will gladly hold my hands up if everything goes swimmingly from here.

What are we admitting to being wrong about? 

Is there a right and wrong answer to this vote?

End of the day I will be answerable to my kids and nobody else. My vote was based on wanting a better future for them.

2 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Foreigners

Yawn. Grow up.

59 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Genuine question - do you think our economy will automatically boom when we leave the EU, if the EU itself is struggling with growth?

My gut feeling is that our economic destinies will be fatefully intertwined regardless of whether we are a member of the EU or not

Opening ourselves up to other markets might not be such a bad idea after all then?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just the Leave voters again I see...

No not at all - the opposite.

I'm just trying to draw parallels between Remain voters saying "if we leave the EU then x,y & z bad things might happen" and being shot down because we can't base our decisions on what might happen

and

Leave voters saying "if we leave the EU then x,y & z good things might happen"

Can't you see that this argument can't work both ways? 

It's much like your Diane Abbot guff - if you want Labour voters to admit that what she said was racist against white people because it's the same as what the likes of Farage/Yaxley-Lennon/Boris have said - then you're admitting that those guys are racist too. Your argument is paradoxical. They are either both racist or none of them are racist. Which is it?

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-bds-law-israel-boycott-divestment-sanctions-palestine-a9248801.html

Planning to pass a law to ban councils from "imposing their own direct or indirect boycotts, disinvestment or sanctions campaigns against foreign countries" - which means councils can't enter into any contracts with people or companies that operate their own BDS rules

Now I don't care which side of the Israel/Palestine argument you are on - the principle here is surely a violation of people's right to protest/freedom of expression?

Archived