The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

I's still waiting for ONE (yes just one) real hard positive reason for Brexit. I've asked this many times on many different forums and I've not received one.

At least supporters are on a par with Johnson when it comes to bluster and bull5hit.

Gave up asking the same question many moons ago.

I have been told repeatedly that leave means leave. 

Which doesn't really answer the question.

Nothing is going to change until scientists discover how to remove the human greedy gene.

Billionaires have all the money in the world, but they don't spend it, (George Osbourne's "trickle down effect" is a load of ballocks). I'm not blaming billionaire's for being wealthy, but just how much MORE moolah do they need, you can't eat a £50 note?

If money was more equally divided, (those on zero-hour / minimum wage got more), they would spend it in the local economy and everyone benefits, local business, local government, local schools, local hospitals.

A billionaire just keeps it locked-up somewhere offshore.

I'm sure working-class Tories have a superiority complex?

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

Nothing is going to change until scientists discover how to remove the human greedy gene.

Where do you start drawing the line as to what is acceptable wealth wise?

Someone living on the breadline would think someone with 5 figures saved away is rich, someone with 5 figures thinks someone with 6 is rich, and so on and so on.

Not having a dig btw, i am sure it must get to the point where you cant possibly spend that money. Footballers are a good example, those earning 2,3,400 k a week, more than some people earn in a lifetime of working.

Just interested on what you may consider is acceptable as attained wealth.

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

https://fullfact.org/europe/brexit-extension-1-billion/

1 billion a month compared to a No Deal. 

So it's not currently costing us anything that wasn't already accounted for? That appears to be what that article states. We would have had to pay that in any case if we had left with a deal.

"If we leave with a deal, any extension up to the end of 2020 will not cost us extra, as the agreed financial settlement already includes these payments."

So to say it's costing us 750 million a month isn't strictly true is it? You frame it like it's an extra 750 million a month but it's not because it's all factored in to the deal. The only 'extra' cost would be incurred if we left without a deal. That is how I read that unless I am being thick.

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So it's not currently costing us anything that wasn't already accounted for? That appears to be what that article states. We would have had to pay that in any case if we had left with a deal.

"If we leave with a deal, any extension up to the end of 2020 will not cost us extra, as the agreed financial settlement already includes these payments."

So to say it's costing us 750 million a month isn't strictly true is it? You frame it like it's an extra 750 million a month but it's not because it's all factored in to the deal. The only 'extra' cost would be incurred if we left without a deal. That is how I read that unless I am being thick.

Except we won't leave by 2020. There is a 2 year withdrawal agreement when a deal has been passed by Parliament. Kicking the can down the road. Yes, it will cost us that. Just not now.

I'd assume it is costing the economy more than that anyway in lack of investment etc. 

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Using a credit card is incurring debt. I repeat the question: Who is going to teach financial management? 

I would have thought it could (and maybe already is) part of the school curriculum?

how did any of us learn financial management ? 

I think I started with pocket money and getting best value at the sweet shop. Fruit gums lasted a lot longer than a dairy milk and crisps were ruinously expensive in comparison. I suppose then you graduate tough choice and innovation. does action man really need the scuba gear That you can’t afford on a weeks pocket money anyway and when an empty sparklets Co2 cartridge is almost as good. 

Credit cards were fun .. until about 18 months down the line and the bill isn’t the bill you are paying to stand still and you learn about interest rates the hard way.

Sills rotten on my Mini MOT coming soon Garage and 150 quid or buy the sills for a tenner and find a bloke who’ll weld them on for another tenner 

dunno really but that’s where I started 

30 minutes ago, Norman said:

Except we won't leave by 2020. There is a 2 year withdrawal agreement when a deal has been passed by Parliament. Kicking the can down the road. Yes, it will cost us that. Just not now.

I'd assume it is costing the economy more than that anyway in lack of investment etc. 

Is it not now till the end of 2020? The transition period. 

26 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/conservative-derbyshire-councillor-suspended-racist-3627195

We really do have some dimwitted people representing our political parties.

Is he dim witted or just made a bad error in judgement as to what is currently acceptable in the UK. Having travelled extensively in Muslim countries and also taught Islamic studies I don't really have a major problem with his main points.  The burka is not a religious requirement- it originated to suppress women. However some women have chosen to wear it as a statement. How much of this is down to male pressure only the women themselves know. Up to date it has been banned in 15 countries including France, Belgium, Sri lanka and China. As regards communication it provides a problem for people who are deaf and rely on lip reading. It also is a barrier to facial expression which is an important part of communication. This raises the question of  is it acceptable for one group of people's rights to trump another. 

While we wait for the GER ruling on the final score on thursday, I thought a take from the post match interviews and team selection might be worth a look

Rees Mog .. played a blinder at right back. No one passed him for him for 90 minutes. He stood on the right corner flag, didn’t budge all game unchallenged throughout. came up from the Under XX111’s .. please someone poach him for a lot of denari 

Macdonnell J .. some might say it was a solid performance on the left wing but I don’t think I’m alone in thinking he was wearing a Forest shirt under his colours as some of his passing was wayward in the extreme ? 

Gove M .. supposed to be a centre mid, had a reasonable game but has an ugly side to his game

Swinson J ..  firmly in the middle of the park, refused half time oranges and opted for a carrott and to be honest looked a bit dopey  late on

Corbyn J .. for a number 9 to be playing back passes beggars belief, throwing his shirt to the kids section might be nice but it’s ball in the net that we need. 

Ashworth J .. DM .. a bunch of hospital passes were less than convincing  and his overall performance overshadowed by the own goal. Looks like it’s bench time for a while.

Johnson B . Thinks he’s a number 10 bit some questionable decision making, the final ball is missing and snogging the female lino isn’t that smart in the middle of a match

Farage N .. thinks he’s RCM and yes he can cross a ball, but never tracks back, one trick pony. 

The ref .. A Marr  how he kept everyone on the pitch was a work of rare talent. 

The 4th official .. A Neil .. knows his stuff but is one of those who enjoys the limelight and would prefer to be on the pitch 

Archived