The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently this thread about the Football Association not sanctioning a footballer did not belong in the "Football Forum" section, despite the original thread being posted there and existing there for several months, so I'll discuss it here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

"Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey did not know what a Nazi salute was when he was charged with making the offensive gesture, says a Football Association panel."

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. To summarize this mess, the FA has wasted goodness knows how much time and money prosecuting a charge that shouldn't have been made, for something that wasn't offensive in the context of when it occurred, in a place they shouldn't have jurisdiction. They accepted the obvious lie that Hennessey is so daft that he has no knowledge of a major world event that happened less than a century ago, yet could help but chastise him to assert their own moral superiority, "All we would say (at the risk of sounding patronising) is that Mr Hennessey would be well advised to familiarise himself with events which continue to have great significance to those who live in a free country.". Thank duck they included the section in parentheses. The last thing they'd want is to sound patronising, whilst making one of the most patronising statements I've ever read.

This is now the second time this has been deleted without explanation. Third time lucky eh?

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Apparently this thread about the Football Association not sanctioning a footballer did not belong in the "Football Forum" section, despite the original thread being posted there and existing there for several months, so I'll discuss it here.

Your post was reported and hit the community moderation trigger that automatically hides the post. An offensive term was edited by a moderator and your post was restored. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Your post was reported and hit the community moderation trigger that automatically hides the post. An offensive term was edited by a moderator and your post was restored. 

Would also like to add instead of reposting @Anon a message to a moderator that is online would be better than to continually posting the same content, as per the terms of use/guidelines https://dcfcfans.uk/guidelines/

If you find that your post/topic has removed and would like to know why, please contact a moderator that is online by private message. 

9 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't really consider that word particularly offensive, but it isn't relevant to the topic. I can't edit my post above, but feel free to substitute the word there too if it's an issue.

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Absolutely disgraceful, but no surprise at all. How did we come to this point? It's thoroughly depressing.

Money, it is always about money.  JRM has reportedly made £11m on crisis management, all legit and tax free in the Cayman's.  People like him, ERG and Banks want out of the EU, as the EU are about to crack down on tax avoidance, favorable tax concessions (look at Google and Ireland) and everyone contribute fairly.

Hence why the EU are 'forcing' laws on us, unfortunately a lot of people thought it was giving £350m to NHS, and the country bursting at the seams by foreign people coming here for a hand-out.

What was not told was the £350m a month would be replaced with trade tariffs, not just the EU, but to other countries that had deals in place with the EU.  Potentially costing over £500m a month.  As for immigration, the highest number are non EU, leaving the EU would not impact those numbers.

24 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Money, it is always about money.  JRM has reportedly made £11m on crisis management, all legit and tax free in the Cayman's.  People like him, ERG and Banks want out of the EU, as the EU are about to crack down on tax avoidance, favorable tax concessions (look at Google and Ireland) and everyone contribute fairly.

Hence why the EU are 'forcing' laws on us, unfortunately a lot of people thought it was giving £350m to NHS, and the country bursting at the seams by foreign people coming here for a hand-out.

What was not told was the £350m a month would be replaced with trade tariffs, not just the EU, but to other countries that had deals in place with the EU.  Potentially costing over £500m a month.  As for immigration, the highest number are non EU, leaving the EU would not impact those numbers.

All very true. I guess my question was rhetorical really. Perhaps, in a more literal sense, I should have asked, 'how have we allowed this?'

The greatest irony is that many of those who will be most negatively impacted are the very same folk who voted for Brexit. Not the blue rinse Daily Fail readership, but younger voters drunk on tales of sovereignty and nationalism and greater employment opportunities. There should be some cynical and rather cruel schadenfreude to be elicited from this fact but there really isn't, is there?

If Brexit ever does really manifest I fear it will be a brutal lesson learnt. Any anger I felt towards those who voted for Brexit has long since elapsed but my hatred of the Johnson's and Rees-Mogg's of this world grows daily. They are utterly shameless in their greed and arrogance and need to be brought to heel. Unfortunately, I see no mechanism remotely fit for that purpose and of of infinitely more concern, they evidently do not either. If there is one thing I wish Brexit and Leave voters could arrive at a consensus upon it would be making our bankers, politicians and their paymasters accountable for their actions, but instead, the divide seems to grow daily. It's a sad state of affairs. 

38 minutes ago, 86 points said:

All very true. I guess my question was rhetorical really. Perhaps, in a more literal sense, I should have asked, 'how have we allowed this?'

The greatest irony is that many of those who will be most negatively impacted are the very same folk who voted for Brexit. Not the blue rinse Daily Fail readership, but younger voters drunk on tales of sovereignty and nationalism and greater employment opportunities. There should be some cynical and rather cruel schadenfreude to be elicited from this fact but there really isn't, is there?

If Brexit ever does really manifest I fear it will be a brutal lesson learnt. Any anger I felt towards those who voted for Brexit has long since elapsed but my hatred of the Johnson's and Rees-Mogg's of this world grows daily. They are utterly shameless in their greed and arrogance and need to be brought to heel. Unfortunately, I see no mechanism remotely fit for that purpose and of of infinitely more concern, they evidently do not either. If there is one thing I wish Brexit and Leave voters could arrive at a consensus upon it would be making our bankers, politicians and their paymasters accountable for their actions, but instead, the divide seems to grow daily. It's a sad state of affairs. 

Even more so, I'm looking forward to a disastrous no deal. Until it proves all the lies, the most ardent brexiters will still be crying foul of the whole process. 

Sith Happens
On 16/04/2019 at 17:24, Anon said:

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't really consider that word particularly offensive, but it isn't relevant to the topic. I can't edit my post above, but feel free to substitute the word there too if it's an issue.

Just don't use the word Nottingham ****** again

Edit. blocked me too.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

That is brilliant 

Remember seeing that back around the referendum time. Thought it was poor and the idea could have come up with by most Daily Mail/Telegraph readers.

After what has happened since the referendum, it's now much funnier. Apart from if you are a black footballer, now racism is popular again.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

That cartoonist Ben Garrison is the ultimate Trumpsucker.

From the wiki intro on him, sounds like a right sort...

"Ben Garrison is an American right-wing political cartoonist. He is a self-described libertarian whose cartoons have been widely promoted among the alt-right. His cartoons often lionize conservative figures and right wing politicians such as President Donald Trump.'

Archived