The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Officer said:

Got an idea, could the Brexiteers just leave and form their own Brexshit island?

I'm wondering why they insist on dragging Scotland and Northern Ireland out with them. Whilst the 'Little Englanders' deserve everything they get, why should innocent countries be subject to a diet of boiled gammon?

Just now, Carnero said:

Even better, how about the anti-democrats move to the EU seeing as it's the land of milk and honey?

Didn't us Brexiteers win the vote? Damn right the remoaners can er, 'disappear' off to EU land ?

Just now, eddie said:

I'm wondering why they insist on dragging Scotland and Northern Ireland out with them. Whilst the 'Little Englanders' deserve everything they get, why should innocent countries be subject to a diet of boiled gammon?

Don't you find it amazing that if a similar phrase was aimed at any other demographic you'd be banned from the forums and branded a racist ?

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Don't you find it amazing that if a similar phrase was aimed at any other demographic you'd be banned from the forums and branded a racist ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/may/14/is-it-offensive-to-call-ruddy-faced-middle-aged-tories-gammons

Yet you seem keen on using the epithet 'remoaner' and applying it as a generalisation to people who are generally better educated than your fellow leave voters.

Leave-vs-graduates.png.75b34e217e137deef51441eea5c16f96.png

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

Pfft, there seems to be a lot of Guardian readers on here. I just find it ironic that in an age of hypersensitive political correctness lefties are happy to turn a blind eye to words or phrases that they would be outraged at if they were coming the other way.

But anyway, I don't really care I'm all for free speech;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/05/the-lefts-gammon-slur-just-shows-conservatives-are-winning/

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2018/may/14/is-it-offensive-to-call-ruddy-faced-middle-aged-tories-gammons

Yet you seem keen on using the epithet 'remoaner' and applying it as a generalisation to people who are generally better educated than your fellow leave voters.

Without getting into semantics I didn't realise that 'remoaner' was specific to a race and the post you refer to was clearly a joke as the ? implied.

Leavers may be less educated that remainers but they have a better understanding of the other sides thinking;

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/05/04/leavers-have-a-better-understanding-of-remainers-motivations-than-vice-versa/

Maybe instead of throwing toys out of the pram, calling Brexiteers thick racists and scheming to get the result reversed Remainers should be asking why so many people voted to leave and set about rectifying their issues.

17 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Without getting into semantics I didn't realise that 'remoaner' was specific to a race and the post you refer to was clearly a joke as the ? implied.

Leavers may be less educated that remainers but they have a better understanding of the other sides thinking;

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/05/04/leavers-have-a-better-understanding-of-remainers-motivations-than-vice-versa/

Maybe instead of throwing toys out of the pram, calling Brexiteers thick racists and scheming to get the result reversed Remainers should be asking why so many people voted to leave and set about rectifying their issues.

Neither is 'gammon'. Have you even READ Nicholas Nickleby?

What am I saying? Of course you haven't.

13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Neither is 'gammon'. Have you even READ Nicholas Nickleby?

What am I saying? Of course you haven't.

Cool we've progressed to cheap insults - as the article I linked states, when people start using 'gammon' its because they are losing the argument.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I’d rather judge it on peoples contribution to society rather than if they have got a degree. A degree means nothing.

11 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I’d rather judge it on peoples contribution to society rather than if they have got a degree. A degree means nothing.

Spot on, a functional society needs all manner of people contributing.   And I could wave several of my own in front of @eddie and it still wouldn't prove I'd read any Charles Dickens.

Right, lets take our country to the brink, ruin everyones life because you believed morons like Farage and Johnson who were funded by billionaires and questionable Russian money. Easiest deal in the world... Yeah right... Facts are here: https://infacts.org but close your ears and shout out  LALALLALLALA.

Thanks for screwing up my country.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Spot on, a functional society needs all manner of people contributing.   And I could wave several of my own in front of @eddie and it still wouldn't prove I'd read any Charles Dickens.

Soooooo,

You sound like you've thought about the issues. And I know folks who have voted to leave purely on the basis of their analysis of the EU democratic process (or lack of).

What's your thinking about the benefits of Brexit? You don't seem the sort to be jumping on 100 year old notions of sovereign independence. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Soooooo,

You sound like you've thought about the issues. And I know folks who have voted to leave purely on the basis of their analysis of the EU democratic process (or lack of).

What's your thinking about the benefits of Brexit? You don't seem the sort to be jumping on 100 year old notions of sovereign independence. 

Sadly my reasons for leaving were based in the thought that the government weren't completely incapable of believing that we could not only stand on, but thrive on our own two feet.

I could list several reasons but Brexit has revealed far deeper divides in the country that won't be fixed by staying or leaving.  The elite, political and media classes are so detached from the average Joe that the whole system needs to be reset and rebuilt which is partly why parliament is doing its damnedest to ensure the survival of its two party system throughout the process - to ensure that it doesn't! 

Note how most arguments are all about people not knowing what they voted for, Brexit not being defined, breaking rules during the campaign, etc instead of asking why so many people felt the need to vote against the government and EU in the first place.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Sadly my reasons for leaving were based in the thought that the government weren't completely incapable of believing that we could not only stand on, but thrive on our own two feet.

I could list several reasons but Brexit has revealed far deeper divides in the country that won't be fixed by staying or leaving.  The elite, political and media classes are so detached from the average Joe that the whole system needs to be reset and rebuilt which is partly why parliament is doing its damnedest to ensure the survival of its two party system throughout the process - to ensure that it doesn't! 

Note how most arguments are all about people not knowing what they voted for, Brexit not being defined, breaking rules during the campaign, etc instead of asking why so many people felt the need to vote against the government and EU in the first place.

You state that many people who voted leave. Did so, if I understand you correctly, not onlyas a vote to leave the EU but also as a protest vote against the then tory government and the political system as a whole.

During a normal general election, people are only able to cast a vote for any of the usual political parties.  Parties who they have become disillusioned with, that have lost touch with the general population and have no understanding of the problems they face on a daily basis.

When the referendum was called, was it seen by some as an opportunity to protest and to be able to cast a vote against rather than a vote for the party political system. A system that was mainly advocating remain.

So if the referendum was used by some as a protest vote against our political system rather than a leave vote. Did it slew the final result and maybe give a false reading of what the majority actual wanted?

Obviously can't speak for anybody else, but simply from my own point of view. 

Voted leave. Would vote leave again. This was not, and is not a financial decision! The fact that it would probably make me worse off, doesn't even come into it. 

Joining was a good idea. What we joined was a good idea. What it's become, and the direction it's moving is not. If it was how it was, without the further and further integration, I would vote remain. But it isn't like that. I want no part in what it's becoming. 

Archived