The Politics Thread 2019

Day

35 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

This in my view would be a total disaster for all of us... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49890199

The logical outcome of this kind of Brexit will lead to a return of the IRA with bombs once again in London and elsewhere, army back on the streets in Ireland and many innocent young lives lost. 

Makes me despair, it really does. 

Despair indeed, not least because we're edging towards the deadline. 30 days to go, and all that has emerged so far is this woolly nonsense about checks "elsewhere" - but definitely not at the border?!

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Is it just me, or is Priti Patel actually rather ghastly?

She is one of current breed of politicians without any particular train of thought other than to follow a compass to the next gravy train .  She also looked at ways of taking any  employee paid from the public purse out of living wage rules when it became apparent the pay freeze would mean many would be under it within 5 years .   She is quite ghastly - almost as bad as Clegg and Abbott .  Give her a couple more years of TV exposure. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

The logical outcome of this kind of Brexit will lead to a return of the IRA with bombs once again in London and elsewhere, army back on the streets in Ireland and many innocent young lives lost. 

I have a feeling that a lot of people (English nationalists in general) will feel that it's a price worth paying. It will just give them the opportunity to blame somebody else if pointing the blame at the EU doesn't stick.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

spacer.png

Did you know the last time you posted a comment on Derby County this was the first eleven .

Perhaps, but I have posted in the beer and Derbyshire cricket threads as well. Doesn't that count for anything?

1 minute ago, Montgolfier said:

Perhaps, but I have posted in the beer and Derbyshire cricket threads as well. Doesn't that count for anything?

I'm afraid I am a total philistine when it comes to real ales-( bar a plum porter I had which was quite nice) and cricket is not my game.  I don't mind the 20/20 stuff,  but the proper game where it rains for five days and a team could be 300 runs ahead and draw isn't for me . 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

By all accounts it's not just her public persona either. She allegedly has a terrible reputation in Westminster circles and is widely disliked

Can't find the exact link right now, but this tweet is along the same lines

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

spacer.png

Did you know the last time you posted a comment on Derby County this was the first eleven .

I bet those lads couldn't defend corners either!  How are you supposed to head the ball clear wearing a cap ? 

31 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

By all accounts it's not just her public persona either. She allegedly has a terrible reputation in Westminster circles and is widely disliked

Can't find the exact link right now, but this tweet is along the same lines

Ghastly and thick as pig shizzle. Here's the patronising and rather dim-witted Priti putting forward her argument for capital punishment...

Badly!

4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

These posts make me despair. The media's not very interested in Nothern Ireland so for many years hasn't reported the violence that goes on. Until Brexit and then it leaps on the idea because it can blame Brexit for terrorism. The latest groups formed in 2012 and have been bombing and killing people since and even they've said it's got zero to do with Brexit.

People weaponizing the Irish border and stoking up fears as if there could ever be the slightest smidgen of justification for using this as an excuse to turn to violence is really a terrible thing to do. Happily, when you talk to young people in the north they say it's a totally different country and there will be no rise in the low level of violence that will always persist until we change the education system and integrate kids from the different communities and they discover, shock horror, that these people they've been taught to hate are actually just the same as them.

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

She is the personification of someone who would "pull the rug out from under you".

The child of immigrants welcomed to this country to set-up home. She's made it good (presumably making use of the free education system, including no university tuition fees given her age), but then wants to stop any further immigration.

Imagine you are on a sinking ship and you are the one behind her in the queue for the lifeboat! She's a horrible cow.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

These posts make me despair. The media's not very interested in Nothern Ireland so for many years hasn't reported the violence that goes on. Until Brexit and then it leaps on the idea because it can blame Brexit for terrorism. The latest groups formed in 2012 and have been bombing and killing people since and even they've said it's got zero to do with Brexit.

People weaponizing the Irish border and stoking up fears as if there could ever be the slightest smidgen of justification for using this as an excuse to turn to violence is really a terrible thing to do. Happily, when you talk to young people in the north they say it's a totally different country and there will be no rise in the low level of violence that will always persist until we change the education system and integrate kids from the different communities and they discover, shock horror, that these people they've been taught to hate are actually just the same as them.

I think you've got the Irish border situation all wrong to be honest.

Simply compare the number of deaths caused by terrorism before the GFA and after the GFA and it's immediately apparent how crucial the Belfast Agreement is. 

One of the key concessions to Republicans in the agreement was the commitment by both governments to keep the border open and never allow a return to a hard border on the island.  This fundamental part of the GFA, (which has kept the peace for 20 years now) is now at risk because of Brexit. 

Maybe some people who don't want Brexit are jumping on the Irish border issue to try and stop Brexit, without being concerned with N.Ireland before. That's disingenuous but it's also irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that the threat posed to peace in N.Ireland by the potential imposition of a hard border is very, very real.  Don't doubt that for a moment.  I'm not saying it's a guarantee, who knows what the future would bring, but not to consider it likely would be foolhardy in the extreme.

Incidentally, regardless of what happens with the border, there will never be an acceptable justification for the actions of the terrorists.  But, that didn't bother them in the past and it's unlikely to bother them now. 

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I think you've got the Irish border situation all wrong to be honest.

Simply compare the number of deaths caused by terrorism before the GFA and after the GFA and it's immediately apparent how crucial the Belfast Agreement is. 

One of the key concessions to Republicans in the agreement was the commitment by both governments to keep the border open and never allow a return to a hard border on the island.  This fundamental part of the GFA, (which has kept the peace for 20 years now) is now at risk because of Brexit. 

Maybe some people who don't want Brexit are jumping on the Irish border issue to try and stop Brexit, without being concerned with N.Ireland before. That's disingenuous but it's also irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that the threat posed to peace in N.Ireland by the potential imposition of a hard border is very, very real.  Don't doubt that for a moment.  I'm not saying it's a guarantee, who knows what the future would bring, but not to consider it likely would be foolhardy in the extreme.

Incidentally, regardless of what happens with the border, there will never be an acceptable justification for the actions of the terrorists.  But, that didn't bother them in the past and it's unlikely to bother them now. 

Of course murders have fallen since the Good Friday Agreement. But there's no reason to impose a hard border on Brexit, even in the event of a "no deal" Brexit. I've heard dozens of global customs experts say this. It's simply a total lack of political will on the part of the EU because they know if they weaponize it (in conjuction with Varadkar) Remainers in the UK will use this to bind the UK as closely as possible to the EU rather than have a vibrant dynamic economy on their doorstep, sucking all the growth out of a less agile EU.

Archived