The Politics Thread 2019

Day

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I now hate Corbyn more than life itself. Thank god for the Daily Mail. No surrender to the IRA.

Spoiler alert: Peace in N.Ireland was achieved by talking to the IRA.

I've said exactly the same thing on this forum many times, generally when I've been talking about left wing political correctness and/or online censorship - and been shouted down for it. 

I've since come to the realisation that being able to see both sides of an argument or defending the seemingly indefensible only applies to one side of the political aisle.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I now hate Corbyn more than life itself. Thank god for the Daily Mail. No surrender to the IRA.

Spoiler alert: Peace in N.Ireland was achieved by talking to the IRA.

Trump will be receiving lots of accolades for talking to North Korea then I assume...

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Trump will be receiving lots of accolades for talking to North Korea then I assume...

On 19/07/2019 at 14:42, Highgate said:

but I agree with Trump that it was a good idea to try and talk to N.Korea without any preconditions.

Way ahead of you there ?  

I'll let you know when i can think of something else that I think he deserves credit for.  It might take a while......any ideas?  I could use some help..... It won't be the environment or easing ethnic divisions in the US anyway. 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

A poor chain of command

A lack of resources

Will that do.

A lack of resources to police with complete effectiveness, single handedly, a major sea-lane adjacent to a hostile nation?

We couldn't have pulled that off in 1919 at the height of our naval power.

32 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Way ahead of you there ?  

I'll let you know when i can think of something else that I think he deserves credit for.  It might take a while......any ideas?  I could use some help..... It won't be the environment or easing ethnic divisions in the US anyway. 

Putting the interest of the country he governs before anything else?

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Putting the interest of the country he governs before anything else?

Before trying to determine whether he is actually doing that, we'd have to define what is actually in the interests of the US.  If it's trying to squeeze better trade deals out of other countries by any means necessary, or enriching the wealthiest 1% still further with massive tax cuts then he's your guy.  If you think trying to ensure that the US will still have an acceptable environment in which future generations of Americans can live then Trump is emphatically not the person you want running the country. 

For me he is definitely harming the US's long term prospects rather than 'making it great again'.  And given that environmental issues ignore borders, he is not just an American problem but a global one. 

55 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

A lack of resources to police with complete effectiveness, single handedly, a major sea-lane adjacent to a hostile nation?

So Britannia never really did 'rule the waves' then? ?

34 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Thankyou for  explaining how the 1919 British would be unable to police a section of the gulf.

But they somehow  managed to blockade the entire North Sea while still having a few spare ships to sail the rest of the world's oceans in 1918.

Just imagine what they could have achieved with modern radar and satellite surveillance.

3 hours ago, sage said:

We will shortly be in the position of having the most appalling Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition simultaneously. Bad times. 

True but only one of them will hold the position and so have the power to cause untold damage to the country.

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

I've said exactly the same thing on this forum many times, generally when I've been talking about left wing political correctness and/or online censorship - and been shouted down for it. 

I've since come to the realisation that being able to see both sides of an argument or defending the seemingly indefensible only applies to one side of the political aisle.

You've nailed it there. Leftish people are unable to see the other side of the argument and are forever defending the indefensible.

Thank god the right are so balanced and pragmatic, always able to see both sides of the argument. Thank god we have leaders like Trump, Johnson, Putin etc. There are some very fine people on both sides. Well one side actually.

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Thankyou for  explaining how the 1919 British would be unable to police a section of the gulf.

But they somehow  managed to blockade the entire North Sea while still having a few spare ships to sail the rest of the world's oceans in 1918.

Just imagine what they could have achieved with modern radar and satellite surveillance.

You seem to be confusing penning a grand fleet into the Baltic in time of war with preventing a speedboat coming alongside a tanker in a major shipping lane in time of peace. Good marks for effort though champ. You keep belittling your country. I'm sure it makes you feel quite the little tiger.,

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You've nailed it there. Leftish people are unable to see the other side of the argument and are forever defending the indefensible.

Thank god the right are so balanced and pragmatic, always able to see both sides of the argument. Thank god we have leaders like Trump, Johnson, Putin etc. There are some very fine people on both sides. Well one side actually.

Well if you read The Guardian link I posted yesterday morning, they said pretty much that - the left do indeed stay in their bubble a lot more than the right do.

Not saying either side is perfect, or anywhere approaching it - but there is a definite and obvious bias.

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

You seem to be confusing penning a grand fleet into the Baltic in time of war with preventing a speedboat coming alongside a tanker in a major shipping lane in time of peace. Good marks for effort though champ. You keep belittling your country. I'm sure it makes you feel quite the little tiger.,

So you think I'm belittling my country. Whats next, are you going to tell me to go back to my country of origin.

Just now, 1of4 said:

So you think I'm belittling my country. Whats next are you going to tell me to go back to my country of origin.

It's not that 'I think', it's that 'you were'.

And no pal, I'm not going to tell you to do anything of the sort, mainly because I'm not a swivel eyed nazi.

This is why we can't have civilised discussion about politics anymore (if ever we could); at the first sign of losing a point, scream racism and kick over the table.

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

True but only one of them will hold the position and so have the power to cause untold damage to the country.

One could argue that providing ineffective opposition is an enabler.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

One could argue that providing ineffective opposition is an enabler.

...and one should, if one thinks about it.

Not to open a Brexit debate, but if the Labour Party had been united one way or the other, and decisive with it, we'd have had this mess done and dusted months ago.

7 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

It's not that 'I think', it's that 'you were'.

And no pal, I'm not going to tell you to do anything of the sort, mainly because I'm not a swivel eyed nazi.

This is why we can't have civilised discussion about politics anymore (if ever we could); at the first sign of losing a point, scream racism and kick over the table.

You keep making a lot of presumptions about me. All wrong but ay ho, lets keep things as you say civilized.

As for screaming racism. Where have I mentioned race. Be told to return to your own country isn't racist, well thats what a lot of posters have claimed when Trump said something similar.

Archived