The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I'm not suggesting that.

Politicians make a lot of promises, some they keep many they dont.

From the outside though I'd say Trump is doing a reasonable job of acting upon his campaign pledges. 

People were so angry by his campaign pledges that he was voted into power.

I must have missed that campaign pledge, where he promised to imprison young children and allow them to die by being kept in inhuman conditions.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The tweets as per most of Trumps tweets lacked tact but I personally didn't find them racist and tbh thought they were fair comment towards 4 seemingly America hating congresswomen, at least 2 of whom are massively unpopular ?

3 of whom were born in the US. 

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Yeap, from the outside.  If you dig a little deeper you actually find that he is achieving the easy bits. Taking no salary, pulling out of agreements, stopping funding, spending more on military.

Then he has policies that contradict each other, he wants America to be energy independent, then wants to push through a pipeline from Canada to Nebraska to supply oil...I suppose this helps with his disregard to the environment.  Maybe he is going to annex Canada, and add a few more states?

Here is the facts https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/browse/?page=1

But being energy independent isn't being energy isolated. He's stressed that it's important fuel prices come down. Being energy independent means being capable of producing enough energy without outside suppliers. The US wouldn't need outside suppliers but having one will mean lower prices. A pipeline will create tens of thousands of jobs for Americans. It also means a partner taking on the established order too. North America supplying energy to their allies instead of everyone relying on places like Iran, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, etc. 

That's a good thing. It's playing the long game. Produce your own energy asap and then begin to increase renewables and nuclear. 

43 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

3 of whom were born in the US. 

It depends on your interpretation of his tweets, just because they were born in the US doesn't mean they don't have ties to other countries.

Regardless, he never said go away and stay away, the second tweet was conveniently ignored by a lot of media;

'go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how'

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I'm not suggesting that.

Politicians make a lot of promises, some they keep many they dont.

From the outside though I'd say Trump is doing a reasonable job of acting upon his campaign pledges. 

People were so angry by his campaign pledges that he was voted into power.

It's like this.  Generally speaking, his supporters like him and what he says, those who voted against him (the majority) don't like him or his policies. The fact that those who voted against him, still don't like his policies as he tries to implement them, should hardly surprise you.  I don't know what you find strange or hypocritical there.

I would agree that he does seem to trying to keep some of his campaign promises, no doubt he sees it as important in his re-election. The problem for his opponents is the nature of those promises. Attacking Obamacare, scrapping the Iran deal, further enrich the wealthy, trash the environment, increase military spending, build a wall and so on.  Many people clearly hated these policies when he proposed them and they still do, so obviously they complain about them.  Giving him credit for trying to deliver on some of the awful things he threatened to do would be bizarre. 

Other campaign promises he totally ignored of course....like locking Hillary up or 'draining the swamp'.

One thing i don't criticize Trump for is his talks with Kim Jong Un.  Obviously the ridiculous tweets before they started meeting were stupid and dangerous but I agree with Trump that it was a good idea to try and talk to the regime without any preconditions.  Nothing has been achieved regarding N.Korea denuclearizing and they now seem to have the bomb they have so coveted, but at least talks are taking place between S.Korea and N.Korea and that's a good sign.  The rest of his foreign policy seems less promising however, with Iran, Israel, Cuba etc.. . 

22 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You see, to me it reads like he's admitting that America is also totally broken and crime infested and he needs them to show him how to fix it.

I guess thats one way of reading it. 

Another would be that he's proud of  'the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth'  and sick of the so called 'Squad' routinely spouting and promoting their anti-American bile - no one in the right mind is going to let them loose on America so he tongue in cheek challenged them to put their ideas into practice in countries far less liberal and tolerant than the US.

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just read about his comments. Hilarious that you would even try to defend him on this. Struggle how anyone can begin to defend what he has said this week.

Defend him from what? Just pointing out what he said.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I must have missed that campaign pledge, where he promised to imprison young children and allow them to die by being kept in inhuman conditions.

Illegal immigrants you mean?

Not sure politicians really need to use an election campaign to highlight the fact that people committing and illegal act are likely to be locked up or punished.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Guess we will find out if he is doing a good job or not next year, I think the voice of the people is a better indicator than any website.

Implies a majority

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yep fully aware that he was voted in on the same system that has been used forever and a day. Amazing that it only becomes an issue when the lefties dont get the president that they want.

What statement did I make that was factually incorrect please? 

Now you contradict yourself.

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

The tweets as per most of Trumps tweets lacked tact but I personally didn't find them racist and tbh thought they were fair comment towards 4 seemingly America hating congresswomen, at least 2 of whom are massively unpopular ?

Why do think they hate America rather than just hate some of the things that the U.S does ?  Which two of the 4 are you considering the most unpopular ?

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Illegal immigrants you mean?

Not sure politicians really need to use an election campaign to highlight the fact that people committing and illegal act are likely to be locked up or punished.

Locking up children separating them from their parents and allowing them to die is ok then is it?

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Hmm...not what is being said over the pond.  Just about a year ago this was the outlook:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/09/americas-rapid-march-to-energy-independence-has-slowed-under-trump.html

Not able to find any other reports, would be fare to say nothing is happening

Why are you using an article from last year when on the 15th of May this year an energy official announced the USA was energy independent...?? 

21 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Why are you using an article from last year when on the 15th of May this year an energy official announced the USA was energy independent...?? 

Hope you are not accusing @McRamFan of making factually incorrect statements...I know how much he hates them...

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

I guess thats one way of reading it. 

Another would be that he's proud of  'the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth'  and sick of the so called 'Squad' routinely spouting and promoting their anti-American bile - no one in the right mind is going to let them loose on America so he tongue in cheek challenged them to put their ideas into practice in countries far less liberal and tolerant than the US.

Was Trump spouting anti-American bile when he was criticising Obama's government before the election? 

Criticising policy is not anti American as Trump should well know.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Why do think they hate America rather than just hate some of the things that the U.S does ?  Which two of the 4 are you considering the most unpopular ?

Ilhan Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are the most unpopular, they are pushing the Democrats to far to the left with their wild rhetoric;

https://www.axios.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-poll-democrats-2020-aeaa3771-f142-4059-b79e-1fed569dfdf9.html

AOC has made far to many gaffs to be considered credible and Ilhan Omar isn't going to win many friends by sympathising with ISIS and commenting on the worst terrorist atrocity committed on US soil as 'some people did something'.

It may be a crude strategy but Trump is positioning 'The Squad' front and center of the Democrat party as they are unelectable to the majority of the country.  All he has to do is not put his foot in his mouth and he'll walk the 2020 election...

So its all to play for then ?

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Was Trump spouting anti-American bile when he was criticising Obama's government before the election? 

Criticising policy is not anti American as Trump should well know.

See above post - Ilhan Omar's sympathies don't sit well with the average patriotic American, neither to AOC's more outlandish policies.

Archived