The Politics Thread 2019

Day

It's been quite funny sitting back and watching all of the different accusations levelled at Trump as the lefties desperately try to discredit him.

Imagine that he will be quietly happy that the charge against him as gone from starter of World War 3 down to the lesser charge of moronic racist.

Amazing how many people who complain about politicians that lie, then get so angry when a politician actually acts upon the campaign pledges upon which they were elected.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yang is interesting and would be a breath of fresh air after Trump.  Not really sure what you are saying in your first paragraph to be honest.  Apart from predicting Trump's re-election. Which is entirely possible, but I still feel he won't be. 

I hardly think it's fair to single out AOC as being dramatic and not mention Trump, the archetypal drama queen. 

Yep, he's a drama queen alright. But he's sharp and sometimes quite funny. Knows how to work a crowd. What sets him apart though is he's given a voice to those who have been silenced for too long now by modern 'politicians'. Which is why he gets away with so much other politicians wouldn't. People wanted change, they thought they would get it with Obama, they didn't, people have it with Trump and they will hopefully with the next Democrat president in 2024. No candidate stands a chance without huge financial backing. It will take people like Peter Thiel to get other big players to finally back a so called outsider in the Democrat party. I can see the likes of Bill Gates, etc, backing Yang in 2024 and funding his run, circumnavigating the party machine just like Trump did. 

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Yep, he's a drama queen alright. But he's sharp and sometimes quite funny. Knows how to work a crowd. What sets him apart though is he's given a voice to those who have been silenced for too long now by modern 'politicians'. Which is why he gets away with so much other politicians wouldn't. People wanted change, they thought they would get it with Obama, they didn't, people have it with Trump and they will hopefully with the next Democrat president in 2024. No candidate stands a chance without huge financial backing. It will take people like Peter Thiel to get other big players to finally back a so called outsider in the Democrat party. I can see the likes of Bill Gates, etc, backing Yang in 2024 and funding his run, circumnavigating the party machine just like Trump did. 

I'm not sure I ever remember him being intentionally funny, but that's all a matter of opinion. He does know how to work a crowd, as long as it's his crowd, he's definitely a showman. 

What he has been doing is quite skillful, he speaks to those who are ultra patriotic, fear immigrants and worry that their identity is under attack or being eroded. He whips up their emotions and leads them to believe that he cares about what they care about.  And maybe he does to some extent.  But his real constituency and that of the Republican party in general are in the background and that's who he is really catering for, the super wealthy. Hence the dramatic tax cuts at the expense of increasing the annual deficit.  There is no significant change really...is just a continuations of Reagan style economics.  The only real change is the obnoxious tone of public discourse and an apparent licence to express prejudices freely.

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's been quite funny sitting back and watching all of the different accusations levelled at Trump as the lefties desperately try to discredit him.

Imagine that he will be quietly happy that the charge against him as gone from starter of World War 3 down to the lesser charge of moronic racist.

Amazing how many people who complain about politicians that lie, then get so angry when a politician actually acts upon the campaign pledges upon which they were elected.

Are you suggesting that Trump doesn't lie ?  I think people are angry that his campaign pledges were so awful in the first place.  No wonder people get upset when he tries to implement them.

35 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I'm not sure I ever remember him being intentionally funny, but that's all a matter of opinion. He does know how to work a crowd, as long as it's his crowd, he's definitely a showman. 

What he has been doing is quite skillful, he speaks to those who are ultra patriotic, fear immigrants and worry that their identity is under attack or being eroded. He whips up their emotions and leads them to believe that he cares about what they care about.  And maybe he does to some extent.  But his real constituency and that of the Republican party in general are in the background and that's who he is really catering for, the super wealthy. Hence the dramatic tax cuts at the expense of increasing the annual deficit.  There is no significant change really...is just a continuations of Reagan style economics.  The only real change is the obnoxious tone of public discourse and an apparent licence to express prejudices freely.

I don't think that's a fair analysis at all. Speak directly to his voters. They don't hate immigrants, many are. There's also nothing wrong in raising the floor and the ceiling when it comes to wealth. He's revitalising the economy in the US, bringing back what should never have been so depleted and deflated. Average Joe is benefiting. They will have to increase legal migration significantly soon. 

4 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I don't think that's a fair analysis at all. Speak directly to his voters. They don't hate immigrants, many are. There's also nothing wrong in raising the floor and the ceiling when it comes to wealth. He's revitalising the economy in the US, bringing back what should never have been so depleted and deflated. Average Joe is benefiting. They will have to increase legal migration significantly soon. 

Of course not all his voters fear (not hate) immigrants, but the people that do have found a champion in Trump.  That's hardly a controversial point.  I think he is far more interested in raising the ceiling rather than the floor when it comes to wealth.  Just look at who his tax cuts benefited and his attacks on Obamacare and his objectives become quite apparent. It would take the most credulous devotee of 'trickle down economics' to believe those were intended to help the least well off.  Average Joe don't seem to be his concern.

The economy of the US is doing very well as it was doing towards the end of the Obama presidency. How much that has to do with the presidents in question, who knows?  One thing is for sure, Trump's budget spending is out of control and the national debt continues to spiral upwards.  Future generations can worry about that I suppose, when they aren't dealing with climate change related problems. 

10 hours ago, Highgate said:

Are you suggesting that Trump doesn't lie ?  I think people are angry that his campaign pledges were so awful in the first place.  No wonder people get upset when he tries to implement them.

No I'm not suggesting that.

Politicians make a lot of promises, some they keep many they dont.

From the outside though I'd say Trump is doing a reasonable job of acting upon his campaign pledges. 

People were so angry by his campaign pledges that he was voted into power.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

From the outside though I'd say Trump is doing a reasonable job of acting upon his campaign pledges. 

Yeap, from the outside.  If you dig a little deeper you actually find that he is achieving the easy bits. Taking no salary, pulling out of agreements, stopping funding, spending more on military.

Then he has policies that contradict each other, he wants America to be energy independent, then wants to push through a pipeline from Canada to Nebraska to supply oil...I suppose this helps with his disregard to the environment.  Maybe he is going to annex Canada, and add a few more states?

Here is the facts https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/browse/?page=1

35 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yeap, from the outside.  If you dig a little deeper you actually find that he is achieving the easy bits. Taking no salary, pulling out of agreements, stopping funding, spending more on military.

Then he has policies that contradict each other, he wants America to be energy independent, then wants to push through a pipeline from Canada to Nebraska to supply oil...I suppose this helps with his disregard to the environment.  Maybe he is going to annex Canada, and add a few more states?

Here is the facts https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/browse/?page=1

Guess we will find out if he is doing a good job or not next year, I think the voice of the people is a better indicator than any website.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Guess we will find out if he is doing a good job or not next year, I think the voice of the people is a better indicator than any website.

Do you think it's slightly worrying having a big crowd chant 'send her home' about an American official? With Trump the ringleader.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Do you think it's slightly worrying having a big crowd chant 'send her home' about an American official? With Trump the ringleader.

The ringleader that has said he was unhappy about the chant and felt bad about it?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The ringleader that has said he was unhappy about the chant and felt bad about it?

Why didn't he stop it then?. He could easily have done so.

Probably in fear of his rabid followers turning against him.

47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You do know that the majority of Americans voted for Hilary? He got in because the system is screwed to benefit the right, similar to the system we have here, screwed to favor the right.  Plenty of facts out there showing how the tories move/merge voting boundaries.

You might want to do some research on the votes cast, in the US election, and the bias that comes from the electoral college.  Please stop making statements that are factually incorrect.

7 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You do know that the majority of Americans voted for Hilary? He got in because the system is screwed to benefit the right, similar to the system we have here, screwed to favor the right.  Plenty of facts out there showing how the tories move/merge voting boundaries.

You might want to do some research on the votes cast, in the US election, and the bias that comes from the electoral college.  Please stop making statements that are factually incorrect.

Yep fully aware that he was voted in on the same system that has been used forever and a day. Amazing that it only becomes an issue when the lefties dont get the president that they want.

What statement did I make that was factually incorrect please?

28 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Why didn't he stop it then?. He could easily have done so.

Probably in fear of his rabid followers turning against him.

Didn't he try and stop them by just getting on with his speech?

Do you hold Mel Morris or our manager responsible when Derby fans do vile chanting?

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't he try and stop them by just getting on with his speech?

Do you hold Mel Morris or our manager responsible when Derby fans do vile chanting?

Totally different and you know it. Trump is on a podium and the centre of attention. All he had to do was make a "calm down" hand gesture to quieten the audience but he chose to let them carry on.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did he say that? I missed that. It could be the first time he has said he regretted anything. Shame they were just copying his line about sending them home.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just read about his comments. Hilarious that you would even try to defend him on this. Struggle how anyone can begin to defend what he has said this week.

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just read about his comments. Hilarious that you would even try to defend him on this. Struggle how anyone can begin to defend what he has said this week.

The tweets as per most of Trumps tweets lacked tact but I personally didn't find them racist and tbh thought they were fair comment towards 4 seemingly America hating congresswomen, at least 2 of whom are massively unpopular ?

Archived