The Politics Thread 2019

David

11 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

When BREXIT doesn't happen on 31st October it'll certainly get interesting

I wouldn't rule that out at all, despite the public utterances of Boris. 

Seems it would need Tory rebels to bring down a Tory government to make it happen though, and that would be career suicide...and could spell the end of the two major party system.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cstand said:

I love the left worshipping terrorists all the time

Come on - no one "worships" terrorists. You don't seriously believe that do you? it's not exactly helpful political discourse to suggest so is it.

Anyway - it's Boris - official. How long before the resignations start and the vote of no confidence?

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Come on - no one "worships" terrorists. You don't seriously believe that do you? it's not exactly helpful political discourse to suggest so is it.

Anyway - it's Boris - official. How long before the resignations start and the vote of no confidence?

Two or three before he's even been confirmed weren't there? Hammond, Duncan and another this morning I'd not heard of I think.

Interesting times.

Also, don't forget, 'one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'. For Corbyn (1980 vintage at least and presumably still) the IRA were definitely in the latter category and he behaved accordingly (see also Hamas, Hezbollah). To anyone of even vaguely mainstream UK political thought, that made him a terrorist sympathiser at best. 

Boris Johnson being named Prime Minister reminds me of when Derby signed Conor Sammon.

I never thought I would play for Derby but Sammon showed me never to give up on my dreams.  

One day I could be Prime Minister.

36 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

When BREXIT doesn't happen on 31st October it'll certainly get interesting

I am not expecting that whatever Boris said yesterday will affect what happens today..  He doesn't give a duck just says whatever it will take to get what he wants personally.

1 minute ago, David said:

Boris Johnson being named Prime Minister reminds me of when Derby signed Conor Sammon.

I never thought I would play for Derby but Sammon showed me never to give up on my dreams.  

One day I could be Prime Minister.

I'd vote for you!

But there are not many I wouldnt vote for rather than Boris I suppose

Just now, Spanish said:

I'd vote for you!

But there are not many I wouldnt vote for rather than Boris I suppose

Before I get excited about securing my first vote, are you even eligible to vote being out in Spain?

10 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Also, don't forget, 'one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'. For Corbyn (1980 vintage at least and presumably still) the IRA were definitely in the latter category and he behaved accordingly (see also Hamas, Hezbollah). To anyone of even vaguely mainstream UK political thought, that made him a terrorist sympathiser at best. 

Nonetheless - sympathy with a cause is very different to agreeing with the tactics of terror. There are plenty of direct quotes from Corbyn on the Irish conflict condemning the bloodshed from both sides. He's a pacifist. Not like there weren't terrorist acts from paramilitary civilian organisations (UDA & UVF) on the other side of the conflict. Plus the British Army hardly covered itself in glory at times over there. Which side was in the right?

A message to all football fans from the new Prime Minister:

I say you chaps!

Blimey!  Cripes!  Waaaaaah!

Up with your jolly old team, erm, whichever it is, erm, nils illegitimus carborundum ne, as we used to say in Latin class when I was at Eton, oops best not mention that, oh blimey just did, anyway, fwaaaaar, vote Bojo for a Bigger, Bouncier, Better Britain, erm, will that do?

Oh is that the time?  Need to hop over the old channelroonie to give old Michel Barnier what for, what?  What, What?

Hear you just got a new Dutch chappie in, jolly good, just in time before I bring in the Australian style points system on immigration, what?

Yaroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Toodle pip!

signed

Miss Rita Chevrolet

pp The Rt. Hon. Boris Johnson MP

Prime Minister Designate of the United Kingdom

(message from LR2 - my email seems to have been hacked by the Dead Ringers team from Radio 4, apologies)

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Nonetheless - sympathy with a cause is very different to agreeing with the tactics of terror. There are plenty of direct quotes from Corbyn on the Irish conflict condemning the bloodshed from both sides. He's a pacifist. Not like there weren't terrorist acts from paramilitary civilian organisations (UDA & UVF) on the other side of the conflict. Plus the British Army hardly covered itself in glory at times over there. Which side was in the right?

When one considers the question in terms of 1500 years of struggle for power in Ireland, and the bloodshed on both sides, no-one was right. 

When viewed in the narrower context of reaction to, for instance the Manchester pub bombings, or Enniskillen, or Brighton Grand Hotel, there is a right side and a wrong side of history. Corbyn was the wrong side of the line.

Aaaah, but what about Bloody Sunday, or the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, I hear you cry...well the one doesn't set the other right.

When things are shitty and people are being killed and dispossesed, a person should pick a side and own it warts and all. WW2 was right and proper to fight...but Dresden though? The rape of Berlin? You want to wring hands or end naziism?

Corbyn's an idealist, unfortunately, idealists tend to get nothing done, and people killed while they do it. People are not ideal, are stupid, selfish and irrational in fact, and do not confirm to theory.

Archived