Bravest Players

Poynton ram

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Darryl Powell played for years without any skill in his legs..

He was brave though, as he ended up trying to do the jobs that Kinkladze and Burley should have been doing were they not hiding on the pitch.

He was effective as a destroyer, but needed the classier players to be available for the ball, then looked bad trying to do their job.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was the goalkeeper that broke his hand in a game that was critical to one of Arthur Cox's promotions but kept it hidden from the opposition? The defence played out of their skin to prevent any shots or crosses and Cox ran straight to him at the end of the game to hug the hero.

I have a feeling it was either Eric Steel or Mark Wallington.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Who was the goalkeeper that broke his hand in a game that was critical to one of Arthur Cox's promotions but kept it hidden from the opposition? The defence played out of their skin to prevent any shots or crosses and Cox ran straight to him at the end of the game to hug the hero.

Can’t have been Mark Wallington, he was my PE teacher at school and he never used to shut up about football so I’d have heard it ?. Top guy though.

I was going to say Steve Powell who I felt would have run through several brick walls for the Rams.

But I also thought about Martin Taylor. I was behind the goal when he had his career-ending injury. The forward slid into him and he was clearly really badly hurt, but he still twisted his body round and crawled towards the ball to put it out of danger.

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was going to say Steve Powell who I felt would have run through several brick walls for the Rams.

But I also thought about Martin Taylor. I was behind the goal when he had his career-ending injury. The forward slid into him and he was clearly really badly hurt, but he still twisted his body round and crawled towards the ball to put it out of danger.

Dave Regis Southend United .  Very ugly challenge, never his ball to win . 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Yeah it was a nasty one. All of it was a sickening incident.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Dave Regis Southend United .  Very ugly challenge, never his ball to win . 

Martin was a regular in a pub that I used to run. He said about that game that Regis had gone off for treatment earlier in the game and Martin had thought thank god, such a dirty player, with little regard for anyone's welfare. On the challenge there was little doubt in his mind that he went to hurt him, he said he slid in to get the ball collected around his face next thing he knows Regis has smashed into his legs. Ruined his his career, he was on the verge of a move to the Prem and an England call up. 

On 20/03/2019 at 00:06, RamLad1884 said:

Gary Teale played 60 minutes with a broken finger for us too. 

Gary Teale mentioned in a thread on bravery - like it!

My vote for bravery would be the coffee cup, put it's body on the line to help us beat the Red Dogs and got so smashed up it never played again.

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It was Wallington mate

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember Stevie Powell charging a free kick down and taking it straight in the nether regions. He carried on running after the ball up to the half way line, knees slowly buckling beneath him until finally completely clearing the danger and collapsing to the floor.

20 hours ago, maydrakin said:

He was brave though, as he ended up trying to do the jobs that Kinkladze and Burley should have been doing were they not hiding on the pitch.

He was effective as a destroyer, but needed the classier players to be available for the ball, then looked bad trying to do their job.

Burley must have been a hide and seek champion as a kid because I remember wondering where he was on the pitch and not spotting him for months....

Archived