Other Fans Forums

plymouthram

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wouldn't that also be based on momentum though as high Championship teams likely to have this over struggling Prem ones?

All play off systems are imperfect.

Strongly wanted top 3 to go up when we were there, now I think top 6 is ok! 

We all know the rules at the beginning of the season, it's up to each team to take advantage of them.

Still think top 3 is fairest as it is a league rather than a cup but I won't complain if we go up that way.

You could have a play off between 3rd vs 5th and 4th vs 6th, to see who then plays against the prem clubs. That keeps it exciting for the same amount of teams in the champ. 

Then imagine if you did the same in the prem, anyone in the bottom 6 could potentially go down. You’d have some pretty big clubs with pretty squeaky sphincters each year. Terribly exciting. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You could have a play off between 3rd vs 5th and 4th vs 6th, to see who then plays against the prem clubs. That keeps it exciting for the same amount of teams in the champ. 

Then imagine if you did the same in the prem, anyone in the bottom 6 could potentially go down. You’d have some pretty big clubs with pretty squeaky sphincters each year. Terribly exciting. 

I feel like a one game Stay-in-the-prem opportunity would see a struggling prem team beat an aspiring Champ team 9/10 times.

When they get relegated, generally, they lose all of their quality players - but on paper a poor prem team is superior by quite a gap to the best Champ teams - and a one game opportunity to survive, you'd imagine, they'd be able to turn up for.

17 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

As we are, if we think we will get in the play offs 

Saturday 30th March

Derby County 15:00 Rotherham United

April 2019

Saturday 6th April

Brentford 15:00 Derby County

Tuesday 9th April

Blackburn Rovers 19:45 Derby County

Saturday 13th April

Derby County 15:00 Bolton Wanderers

Friday 19th April

Birmingham City 15:00 Derby County

Monday 22nd April

Derby County 15:00 Queens Park Rangers

Saturday 27th April

Bristol City 15:00 Derby County

May 2019

Wednesday 1st May

Swansea City 19:45 Derby County

Sunday 5th May

Derby County 12:30 West Bromwich Albion

Looking at the other teams around us they all have some very tough games, and will all drop points, yes i know there are no 'easy' games, but for us, it could all come down to those last 3 games... which are on paper our toughest of the run in...

So it could get exciting, which most of us would have settled for at the start of this season, if we fail we fail, but its been a decent 1st season for a 'rookie' manager, under what most could deem difficult circumstances.

These remaining games are the tasty ones.

Sheff Utd v Bristol City

Boro v Norwich

Boro v Bristol City

Preston v Sheff Utd

Bristol City v West Brom

Preston v Leeds

Villa v Bristol City

West Brom v Preston

Bristol City v Derby

Leeds v Villa

Villa v Norwich

Derby v West Brom

2 hours ago, Roots Manuva said:

agreed, the playoffs in its current form feels like it's all based on momentum.

I'd like to see them adopt an idea similar to what they have in the Eredivisie in the Netherlands, something like...

PREMIER LEAGUE:

16th

------------------

17th (Promotion/Relegation playoff)

18th (Promotion/Relegation playoff)

19th (Relegation)

20th (Relegation)

CHAMPIONSHIP:

1st (Promotion)

2nd (Promotion)

3rd (Promotion/Relegation playoff)

4th (Promotion/Relegation playoff)

give the championship sides a direct shot at the struggling prem teams? or at least a format similar to this?admittedly it does leave more teams in the championship playing for less by shrinking the number of playoff spots...personally just don't like the way it works now.

I'm pretty certain we did something very similar over here, when Play-Off's were first introduced? 

There was definitely a higher division team at each level, playing against those from the division below, in the hope of "staying where they were".

...If memory serves? 

59 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I feel like a one game Stay-in-the-prem opportunity would see a struggling prem team beat an aspiring Champ team 9/10 times.

I dunno you know - right now it'd be:

Leeds, West Brom, Boro & Villa

Against...

Brighton, Southampton, Burnley & Cardiff.

9/10 wins for the prem teams? I wouldn't put any money on it.

Just now, Sparkle said:

Let’s just make it really fun - top six all promoted bottom six of premiership all relegated 

While are at it and to make the team and supporters interested in every moment of every game

2 points for a win - 1 point for winning the first half - 1 point for winning the second half and 1 point for drawing the game 

maximum 4 points to be won but a draw could net either 1 or 2 points and a loss could still net 1 point.

basically it rewards winning and attacking probably and if you have been stuffed like us at Aston Villa by half time you a something in the second half to play for.

4 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

The play offs system is rubbish in its current format. It's not fair a 3rd place team could have 80+ points and 6th barely touching 70 points are on the same playing field. 3rd place should automatically make it to Wembley. 5th faces 6th place. The winner plays 4th place. The winner of that game then goes to Wembley for the final promotion spot.

This in itself is also flawed.

Whilst I like the point that you are allowing the 3rd place team an automatic into the play-off final. They might just be a team who might be in the middle of a bad run and dropped from 1st to 3rd. They could end up playing that team that have gone on a good run and just scraped into the play-offs. Ergo an inform 6th place playing and under confident 3rd place. A 3rd place that over a season has got where they are over the whole season and not on the back of a late run.

As it has been said, no play off is perfect. If we have to have one I would prefer 3rd from bottom of the Prem playing 3rd from top of the championship in a one off Wembley final.

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

Whilst I like the point that you are allowing the 3rd place team an automatic into the play-off final. They might just be a team who might be in the middle of a bad run and dropped from 1st to 3rd. They could end up playing that team that have gone on a good run and just scraped into the play-offs. Ergo an inform 6th place playing and under confident 3rd place. A 3rd place that over a season has got where they are over the whole season and not on the back of a late run.

As it has been said, no play off is perfect. If we have to have one I would prefer 3rd from bottom of the Prem playing 3rd from top of the championship in a one off Wembley final.

@SouthStandDanidea works for me because it does the third placed team an advantage given the 6th team would have to play 4 times before they met in the final.  What's missing at the moment imo is a valued advantage for the 3rd team

Just now, Spanish said:

@SouthStandDanidea works for me because it does the third placed team an advantage given the 6th team would have to play 4 times before they met in the final.  What's missing at the moment imo is a valued advantage for the 3rd team

I agree in principle but still believe that only that team should have the chance of going up based on merit.

A one off with the Prem team 3rd from bottom is just my choice

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Let’s just make it really fun - top six all promoted bottom six of premiership all relegated 

Make it seven teams, with a play off between teams 7th - 10th in Championship, a round robin, all at neutral second division grounds around Europe throughout the summer, culminating in a final at Wembley 24 hours before the start of the next season, with both teams only allowed to use players that started the first game of the season (if they have left the club then you start without them). Then, if they stay out of the bottom 7 in the Premier League the following year, they know they deserve to be there.

7 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Hasn't this method of play-off already been tried back in the nineties?

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Hasn't this method of play-off already been tried back in the nineties?

I don't think it was a one v one play-off. I might be wrong but I thought more teams were involved. 

Which ever I still like the one off chance

29 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Haven't we got this round the wrong way?

How about 1st to 3rd in the championship go up, but 15th to 18th in the premier league play off as we do now, 3 stay in the premier league, one drops down to the championship after a wembley final?

Not much of an incentive to win the semi!

Archived