Brighton and Hove Albion vs Derby County Match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think an unexpected last 10 minutes can gloss over a very poor performance. Not enough of them were on it. The only players who emerge with credit were Roos, Keogh, Tomori, Cole, Josefzoon, Marriott, Wilson and the problem is three of those were subs. I include Wilson because he won freekicks, looked our most dangerous forward and did some good chasing despite being kicked around the pitch. The second goal on half-time killed us.

Marriott was our best midfielder, able to to control the ball, turn, run at opponents and link up play. It shows what a talented player he is and should embarrass the other midfielders who were incapable.

Fans at the ground were great. Our flurry at the end showed that if we'd had more quality and belief we could have competed but for most of the game we really didn't compete.

The good news is that we hope to have Mason Mount back soon, with Jack Marriott starting. And maybe Ashley Cole will make a difference, and Andy King when he finds his legs. It's still possible to have a strong finish to the season and now all our eggs are in one basket we have to hope we can carry them over the line without breaking any more.

The timing of their 2nd goal was a killer - deserved lead but an awful time to concede.

Line-up against Millwall :-

Roos

Bogle          Keogh      Tomori      Cole

Huddlestone

King                        Wilson

Waghorn             Marriott           Holmes

.......but probably nothing like this

3 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Very disappointing overall, too little too late... I still don't think we are good enough to maintain a promotion push, we cannot cope against physical sides for starters. Hopefully Frank has targets for the summer who will rectify this.

Apart from his free kicks, I see little in Wilson to suggest he will be a first team player for Liverpool, maybe we could get him for another season. Cole, Marriott and josefzoon looked good coming on. 

Sadly Nugent and Bryson look too far off the place to be regulars in the side. 

Agree with most of that. I think the squad will look a lot different going in to next season. Nugent should not be starting but to be fair we could have had Aguero playing up there and it wouldn't have made any difference. For 75 mins he got no service whatsoever with long aimless balls being gobbled up by their big defenders. We seem tired and leggy and lacking in energy and ideas. We did look better once Marriott and Jose came on but we need to turn up for 90 mins and not just the last 15....

First half was a continuation from Ipswich, jumped on here and read that Rowett was sacked for less, closed the laptop and put the kettle on instead.

Second half much better but too late by then, Brighton sat back and tried to see the game out, can’t blame them, no point pushing for more with us offering so little, why give us a sniff on the counter.

We had chances, wasted chances, greedy from Tomori at the end, you have to believe Bryson would have buried it had he laid it off but not sure I would have been able to contain myself had it flew in.

Positives were Jozefzoon and Cole, both changed the game and Roos....even if he does test my ticker when he comes flying out. 

Kelle has shown enough to put a claim in on the Number 1 shirt, sort his contract out Monday morning. 

Wanted to see something from Jozefzoon for a while and there it was, need more now in the run in. 

And Cole, oh Ashley Cole, we need one of those Nigerian time machines, if you ignore the stray passes and the goal, you can still see an intelligent defender that oozes class and yes I am saying this because the missus let it slip she’s bought me a Cole shirt for my birthday in 10 days (just a reminder ?).

Concentrate on the league now right?

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The timing of their 2nd goal was a killer - deserved lead but an awful time to concede.

Line-up against Millwall :-

Roos

Bogle          Keogh      Tomori      Cole

Huddlestone

King                        Wilson

Waghorn             Marriott           Holmes

.......but probably nothing like this

100% agree with that line up but it’ll probably be 

Roos Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone 

Evans 

Bryson Holmes 

Waghorn Nugent Wilson

We look like a team that is bored with football.

There's no passion or drive ftom the bench either. it's like Frank and Jody look at each other and say how on earth did we get landed with this lot?

It's a shame because there is talent there, but for some reason there is no cohesion or even ball control. When did we start taking three yard first touches?

I liked Cole's introduction. I am hoping he can whip a few into shape.

Scores

Roos 9 a world class save and a couple of other good ones motm

Bogle 3 poo

keough 8 Did well 

Tomori 7 stupid booking aside did well

malone 3 as poo as bogle 

Hudds 5 overrun by Brighton reserves 

Bryson 3 Negative careless and useless 

wilson 5 marked out of the game by Stephens 

waghorn 6  no service but looked better once he was up top

holmes 3 getting worse with every passing game 

Nugent 3 ran around and....no that’s it ran around 

subs. Cole 7 good goal and kept us going. He looked knackered tho, zero chance of him being able to play 90 mins atm 

Marriott 6 didn’t do too much but needed the pitch time

Zoon 6 actually looked a threat 

Frank 2  if he hasn’t twigged playing Nugent as a sole striker doesn’t work by now, he probably never will. Compounded his mistake by not altering anything until the game was lost at HT. Further compounded it by leaving Nugent on until he finally took him off for Zoon and we started to look threatening . Got to start learning from his mistakes 

I think Frank got the initial selection and tactics badly wrong today.

Sometimes though, I wish our defenders would just pass the ball forward, instead of looking for the perfect pass to a player in the perfect position. That scenario is rarely going to happen.

• Roos - our man of the match
  • Bogle - lacked quality at times
  • Malone - still think he can't defend and is really an attacking left mid.
  • Tomori - a few dodgy moments, but pace rescues him
  • Keogh - decent game
  • Bryson - more evident in second half
  • Huddlestone - at fault for their 2nd, too casual at times
  • Holmes - anonymous
  • Wilson - sometimes lacks positional awareness, towards end Marriott was looking for an out ball to the left, Wilson should have moved there but didn't.
  • Waghorn - makes himself available, but is often ignored. Lacks a good first touch.
  • Nugent - Tries hard, but he's not the player he was and isn't helped by balls lumped forward to him.

Subs:

• Cole - if anyone forecast him to be FRGS they need triple points! Brought control to our left side.
  • Jozefzoon - looked calm and not as wasteful as we have seen before.
  • Marriott - made himself available, makes defenders follow him out of defence, so leaving gaps for others.

Keogh head and shoulders above anything in that starting eleven, some question his leadership, but boy... the bloke has been immense since turn of the year, and most of the season. 

Great cameo from Jozefzoon, and Cole played well. 

Be patient fans..... be patient, it’ll happen by end of next season. Stability not idiocy.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We look like a team that is bored with football.

There's no passion or drive ftom the bench either. it's like Frank and Jody look at each other and say how on earth did we get landed with this lot?

It's a shame because there is talent there, but for some reason there is no cohesion or even ball control. When did we start taking three yard first touches?

I liked Cole's introduction. I am hoping he can whip a few into shape.

I think we look tired and leggy....

Archived