Derby County v Hull City Match thread.

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I see what you are saying but to be honest I thought Bryson protected Huddlestone very well in terms of closing opposition down and shutting off space. Without Bryson then I don’t think Huddlestone gets the plaudits he has done. 

As you say different strokes and all that, in the end it was a very strong team performance. That we are sayingthis person played well...no THIS person played well’ is everything you need to know about the game really 

Out of interest where do you sit? Since I've move to the top Row in the North stand I see it very differently. I see missed opportunities all the time, but from a vantage point the players can never see. Maybe i'm more critical because of this.

Turned out nice, didn't it?

We went into this match expecting a really tough match, and not sure at all about the outcome. but in the end, those fears were unfounded. Whether it was Hull flattering to deceive (they haven't played a top six side during their good run), or whether it was Derby that wouldn't allow them to break free, I don't know.

Derby looked pretty well in control for most of the match, but had their sloppy moments. Hull had three blatantly clear opportunities, and should really have scored all of them, but didn't. they manage to point the shotgun at the target, but forgot to put the gunpowder in! The opportunities highlighted a lack of incisiveness by the defence today, giving the ball away very sloppily. We also hadn't come flying out of the blocks, despite claiming that was our aim. More a teetering over the edge of the nest, and then gliding gradually down to ground level, with the occasional flutter of the wings on the way for show. However, the way we played was all we needed, because the only good chances which Hull had were the ones we set up for them!

Huddlestone was awesome today, and strutted around the pitch in complete control. I don't think any of his long passes missed the man he was aiming at. Keogh waited until the 91st minute to make his first, and only mistake, but Tomori was not quite up to his normal status of colossus. I was disappointed that Bryson started, but hoped that he would prove me wrong. He had a good go, and did a lot of good work, but he has lost a bit too much pace, so his effectiveness is somewhat hampered. Bogle is very impressive, and is supremely competent on the ball, and suffered a very harsh yellow card late on.  A couple of fouls on Josefzoon which went unpunished got the players and the crowd going, and a goal was the only reasonable outcome - a superb through ball by Homes, and a superbly timed run from Waghorn, 1 - 0! Justice done! Oh, and time-wasting by Hull ....... over!

There was a referee 

We started the second half still not quick enough, but we did start to press a bit  more, forcing Hull into unforced errors. The second goal was another well-worked one, with Bogle winning a ball he should never have got near, and setting Waghorn up for a clinical finish. Game over, and we saw the match out really, really well.

That was very satisfying - I wanted to see us buzzing and moving with pace, but in reality we didn't need to do much more than we did today, apart from cutting out those errors which gave Hull their chances, and we were very comfortable. And it was great to see Waghorn  proving his worth playing  the number 9 role.

The crowd was at its noisiest for ages today, but I had a sore throat and couldn't join in! And the call by the South Standers for others to start  the bounce was a great innovation, and we even got about 7 people bouncing in the North Stand! The rest were busy putting their books down! But great support all round!

Watch out, we are coming!

5 hours ago, Full Screw said:

Cole will not get in the team if Malone continues in this vein. He’ll get a game in the cup next weekend but he’ll have real completion to unseat the floppy armed one.

King for Bryson perhaps. Bryson was the only one in short sleeves and deserves credit for that but is it enough to keep his place?

Surely Cole isnt cup-tied?

ooops sorry i misread it

Routine win today, without ever being particularly exciting. Felt a bit like the Clement days in that respect.

Hudds MOTM - some of that passing was superb. If it had been GT, there would be a baby boom in Derby 9 months from now.

Waghorn not far behind. A proper number 9 performance. 3 chances, 2 goals, plenty of hold up play in between.

Bryson had a good game. Holmes, notwithstanding the assist for the first, didn’t. Not sure I rate him as much as some on here do.

Autos not impossible.

4 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Absolutely loving all four stands getting involved after the second goal. What a difference it makes!

And the bouncing! I've wanted the south stand to get other stands starting the bounce for ages and it worked a treat, it was fantastic watching the directors box all turning to see if the west stand would bounce when asked, and i have to say it was awesome!!

Just need it every match

Absolutely.. was very good that. The whole SS looked great working the audience.

20 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

We went into this match expecting a really tough match, and not sure at all about the outcome. but in the end, those fears were unfounded. Whether it was Hull flattering to deceive (they haven't played a top six side during their good run), or whether it was Derby that wouldn't allow them to break free, I don't know.

Derby looked pretty well in control for most of the match, but had their sloppy moments. Hull had three blatantly clear opportunities, and should really have scored all of them, but didn't. they manage to point the shotgun at the target, but forgot to put the gunpowder in! The opportunities highlighted a lack of incisiveness by the defence today, giving the ball away very sloppily. We also hadn't come flying out of the blocks, despite claiming that was our aim. More a teetering over the edge of the nest, and then gliding gradually down to ground level, with the occasional flutter of the wings on the way for show. However, the way we played was all we needed, because the only good chances which Hull had were the ones we set up for them!

Huddlestone was awesome today, and strutted around the pitch in complete control. I don't think any of his long passes missed the man he was aiming at. Keogh waited until the 91st minute to make his first, and only mistake, but Tomori was not quite up to his normal status of colossus. I was disappointed that Bryson started, but hoped that he would prove me wrong. He had a good go, and did a lot of good work, but he has lost a bit too much pace, so his effectiveness is somewhat hampered. Bogle is very impressive, and is supremely competent on the ball, and suffered a very harsh yellow card late on.  A couple of fouls on Josefzoon which went unpunished got the players and the crowd going, and a goal was the only reasonable outcome - a superb through ball by Homes, and a superbly timed run from Waghorn, 1 - 0! Justice done! Oh, and time-wasting by Hull ....... over!

There was a referee 

We started the second half still not quick enough, but we did start to press a bit  more, forcing Hull into unforced errors. The second goal was another well-worked one, with Bogle winning a ball he should never have got near, and setting Waghorn up for a clinical finish. Game over, and we saw the match out really, really well.

That was very satisfying - I wanted to see us buzzing and moving with pace, but in reality we didn't need to do much more than we did today, apart from cutting out those errors which gave Hull their chances, and we were very comfortable. And it was great to see Waghorn  proving his worth playing  the number 9 role.

The crowd was at its noisiest for ages today, but I had a sore throat and couldn't join in! And the call by the South Standers for others to start  the bounce was a great innovation, and we even got about 7 people bouncing in the North Stand! The rest were busy putting their books down! But great support all round!

Watch out, we are coming!

Was there? I just saw another hull man with a whistle? ?

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is where I get to sometimes when I find myself wondering if I've watched a different game to other Derby fans. (and I mean that with no disrespect at all!)

Yes, he chased everything today. Won the ball back a few times but not so much so that I found myself thinking "Corr, he's having a really good game."

He's still poor in possession. Passes either immediately backwards or sideways and often doesn't play "forward-thinking" passes for other players to run on to or ones which open up the game for us to attack.

Again, I'll go back to what I was saying last week. I would like to see Evans in over Bryson, to purely fulfil the role of winning the ball back, freeing up some of the defensive responsibility from Huddlestone. This might free up Holmes to attack more aswell.

Feel like I'm being pretty harsh to one of my favourite players here but I just don't see what he's bringing to this side nowadays, and I feel like we were saying that two years ago...

There was a piece of play in the first half where he gave it away, won it back, gave it away again, won it back again, only to give it away again to which they broke on us (that was all in 10 seconds). I think summed his game up, his best work was without the ball. There were a couple of occasions in the second half where he had space to run into and he just stopped and wasn't sure what he was supposed to do and ended up giving safe passes to Huddlestone and Bogle. 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

For me Bryson brings an energy to the game that no other Derby player can.

He does a hell of a lot of the donkey work that others don't want to or can't do and covers the ground that it would take 2 players to do if he were replaced. 

He doesn't play glory balls or do the flash stuff, but others can try that stuff becausde of the unselfish work Bryson does.

But that's just my opinion. 

I get that, but my 5 yr old runs around like a mad man at football trg, more than most of the other lads. But he is poo on the ball compared to them and does nothing that impacts the score. (He is playing with lads 2 years older cos of his size so I let him off a bit), but Brys doesnt have that excuse.

Well I’ve had a top day and night out in Derby.  Started with a well-derserved win, especially in second half. Keogh and Tomori solid as ever, Bryson rejuvenated, and Waghorn chasing every ball. Then my first time at the excellent Exeter Arms, a swift one in the Standing Order followed by the awesome Skids at The Venue. I also saw them last week in Norwich; one of the great live acts. 

So on to ipswich on Wednesday and my favourite away game (because I’m home in 10 minutes) once I’ve finished eating a celebratory curry and gloating at the locals. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I thought that was one of our better performances of the season today. I’m not saying it was the full shilling, but looked good all over the park. It helps knowing we have Mount and Marriott to come back. 

Roos - 8; Bogle - 8, Keogh - 8, Tomori - 8, Malone - 7; Bryson - 5, Huddlestone - 8, Holmes - 7; Wilson - 6, Waghorn - 8, Jozefzoon - 7. 

Bennett and King did well with what time they had, although the former was rather erratic. 

Bryson - 5,  Jozefzoon- 7. ???

Think you must have got slightly mixed up. Still, they look quite similar, so an easy mistake to make.

9 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

Bryson a 5 !!! Are you having a laugh?

He was immense today.

8 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Bryson 5? and then giving the Zoon 7???

27 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Bryson - 5,  Jozefzoon- 7. ???

Think you must have got slightly mixed up. Still, they look quite similar, so an easy mistake to make.

It may be me then, but thought Jozefzoon used the ball and worked for it. Bryson was out worked by Holmes. I may have been a bit harsh, but the win is the most important thing! 

It’s all about winning between yesterday and the end of the season ,those players have to get out there find the grit ,determination and quality to make it happen ,they did just that yesterday, watched on rt and the fans sounded great yesterday too ,best I’ve heard at home for ages and they have to buy into it and get right behind this promotion push ,,

as for the derby wobble ,the frank lampard story is a bigger story so it’s overshadowing the annual media drum beating of it 

8 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

They did beat Leeds at Elland Road during their good run though, which if anything makes our win more impressive.

Thought it was a good performance yesterday however Jackson Irvine missed two sitters and it could have been a very different result. 

Waghorn's movement for the two goals were superb and he's in great form. It'll be nice when we can get him and Marriott back on the pitch together. 

Roos' composure impressed me, even when we were living life on the edge he consistently stuck to the game plan and cooly continued to roll the ball out on the deck. 

Huddlestone's best performance of the season, think Evans is okay but he's not a shade on him.

Dare is say it and not get a backlash of comments but we're a better side without Lawrence. Only change I'd possibly make would be to play King through the middle and move Holmes into that wide role, I thought he made some intelligent little flicks and touches when he came on. 

It's a big result, we need a run now!!!! 

8 hours ago, rynny said:

There was a piece of play in the first half where he gave it away, won it back, gave it away again, won it back again, only to give it away again to which they broke on us (that was all in 10 seconds). I think summed his game up, his best work was without the ball. There were a couple of occasions in the second half where he had space to run into and he just stopped and wasn't sure what he was supposed to do and ended up giving safe passes to Huddlestone and Bogle. 

So he lost it 3 tines in that passage of play, his stats were passes 38 completed 30, therefore he only lost it 5 times in the other 89 minutes, not bad at all.

Was this bit where he lost it any worse than when Holmes lost the ball in his own half resulting in an open net being missed by the Hull player, truly awful decision making.

Not that I’m calling out Holmes, just noting that Bryson didn’t do anything that the others didn’t, yet I feel has come in from unfair criticism (not from you btw)

Flo Jo, made a grand total of 10 passes from 14, and only touched the ball 25 times is another example of a player nowhere near as effective as Bryson, who contributed as much as others imo in the win yesterday.

Was quite impressed yesterday. The balance of the team looked a lot better and players seemed to know their roles. We were a bit pedestrian at times and as usual when a team press hard against us man for man we struggle, partly because we under hit a lot of short/medium passes, that caused Holmes and Wilson problems. BUT when we upped the tempo we ran triangles around them.

Waghorne and Huddlestone were superb throughout. Nobody was bad although Josefzoon struggled to get in the game at first. Thought Bryson did huge work off the ball and was a big influence in giving Tom time to work his magic. Tomori got caught wrong side of his man several times but always got out of the problem, better teams would have punished him.

I like Waggy in the middle. play Marriott off his shoulder in a proper 442. Glad for Roos to get a run, and good for Rams to have 2 very competent keepers.

Archived