Are we Overreacting?

erathirea

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Full Screw said:

We need to strengthen in this window. We at the very least need a centre half and I'm pretty amazed that we let Pearce go without anyone to replace him. That to me seems very risky and unnecessary.

If we don't add to the squad then Frank will have a tough job on to keep us in the top six. No blame will be attached to him if there's no money to add to the squad and if we do fail to make the playoffs I think Frank will leave citing lack of investment as the reason.

He cannot afford to take a hit to his reputation if he stays to manage an under-invested Derby team next term.

He needs to be seen as a winner and will not stay around, as I say, to have his reputation ruined.

So no investment and a poor second half to the season means no Lampard and no more marquee loan signings.

The next couple of weeks of the transfer window are key.

I think that's an overreaction :) 

My eldest summed it up for me quite well after the match on Friday.

I said to him words similar too,bloody hell we were rubbish.

Too which he replied,

’Yes Dad,but we’re not as rubbish now as we’ve been for a few years’.

That made me smile even though I didn’t fully understand it, I get what he means though.

Don't need to do anything this window, unless it is in the interest of the club.  

I am fed up with the rip off January transfer window.  

If, a big massive If, we went up, it would be very difficult to stay up.  From what we have on the books, who could cut it in the Prem?

This season is for FL to cut his teeth and being the players in, and move the players out in the summer.

Yes, some people are massively overreacting. 

50 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Yes 

Particularly Radio Derby. 

I used to love Ramage for his passionate words about Derby and his rallying commentary during a game, but for a while now I've been bored by his defeatism and general praising of the opposition. Don't know all of the presenters but whoever did the Norwich game were brilliant and exactly what we need. 

22 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Don't need to do anything this window, unless it is in the interest of the club.  

I am fed up with the rip off January transfer window.  

If, a big massive If, we went up, it would be very difficult to stay up.  From what we have on the books, who could cut it in the Prem?

This season is for FL to cut his teeth and being the players in, and move the players out in the summer.

Yes, some people are massively overreacting. 

I’ll go along with that.

I love a signing and the transfer window excitement but I’m happy for us to leave well alone in this one.

Do the business in the summer.

I’ll be happy with   @King Kevin ‘s 2 loans(I believe mate).

21 hours ago, erathirea said:

But are we overreacting to one (admittedly poor) display?

Yes - We usually are

However I would say Friday was a definite sign that we are not ready to compete for a top 2 place - We were completely outplayed by Leeds - Who I would argue are a decent but not spectacular Championship leader - They aren't (for me) as good as Wolves were last year

We've also struggled in games like Rotherham and Bolton - Scrappy teams - And not buried teams like Blackburn at home when we should - There have been a few games like Swansea where we only won because of two magic moments from a player who is a league above this in quality and not really ours - All very much signs that say "we're good, moving in the right direction, but not quite there yet"

I've been saying for ages we need to be making signings on a 2 year plan (like Evans, Marriott, Holmes etc) rather than to get us up this season - We're just not ready for that yet - And haven't been all season

22 minutes ago, sawley_ram said:

I used to love Ramage for his passionate words about Derby and his rallying commentary during a game, but for a while now I've been bored by his defeatism and general praising of the opposition. Don't know all of the presenters but whoever did the Norwich game were brilliant and exactly what we need. 

It was the same main commentator Ed Dawes but the match summariser was Adam Bolder. Without Ramage Ed was much better imo.

20 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think anyone actually believes our season is over. The stats tell you it's clearly not, as does the favourable run in. People just like to vent and I'd rather people do it on here than at the ground. I think people have a few concerns and there have no doubt been a few disappointments in recent weeks, which have just as much right to be aired than the OTT we're going to win the league/Bogle is the new Cafu ones. 

@erathirea I think you're being pretty kind with the one bad performance remark but if you're a half a glass full guy/girl then fair doo's. The last proper performance I've felt good about was Birmingham at home on the 3rd of November. Swansea was for a large portion. The rest range from good 20 min spells here and there to below par smash and grabs to non-event defeats. They're my biggest disappointment at the moment, the league position looks fine. Turn our performances around and we'll be sound for a top 6 finish. Reading at home can't come soon enough for me. 

Ah, a realistic, intelligent comment.

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It was the same main commentator Ed Dawes but the match summariser was Adam Bolder. Without Ramage Ed was much better imo.

That's him - thought I'd read on here somewhere. They did work better together felt like they actually wanted to be there!

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

My eldest summed it up for me quite well after the match on Friday.

I said to him words similar too,bloody hell we were rubbish.

Too which he replied,

’Yes Dad,but we’re not as rubbish now as we’ve been for a few years’.

That made me smile even though I didn’t fully understand it, I get what he means though.

Although this time last season we were 2nd, having scored more goals and concede a lot less...

TobyWanKenobi
22 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Efl now announcing that they are formally investigating Leeds over the incident......

An investigation means someone made a complaint, not necessarily that the complaint has any merit.

• 1 month later...

So after last night, I’ve adjusted my thinking, that if we manage to stay in the top 10 let alone get to the play offs, it will not have been a bad first season for Frank. After all, there have been good displays, particularly in the cups and we are clinging on to a play off challenge presently.

My concern is that clearly we are in transition and a lot of players are going to be let go in the summer, along with Wilson, Mount and most likely Tomori; as unless we somehow turn around our form, to go on some stellar winning run, can’t see those 3 back next year. So what is our identity at present?

The only feature I get, is that we like to play out from the back but every team knows that, denies us space to do so from goal kicks, generally forcing us into long balls, we don’t really want to play. We are experimenting 40 games in with new styles, arguably to suit opponents but we just don’t look comfortable as a team. So I’m not quite over the disappointment of last night but I’m trying to understand where is the plan? Why doesn’t Frank stick to a style and tweak an odd change here and there mainly due to injury, rather than all the chopping and changing of players positions, because I thought they tried last night, just looked lost with each other.

We are unlikely to go up on current form, I’m not too worried about that, Franks learning but is he just becoming a tinker man in his quest to succeed? I’d be happy he’s learning if I could see some form of plan, I’m just not sure I can.

Am I over reacting here or do we just wait for next season to judge, as I can’t see much coming of this one after last night.

I think last night was Frank's reaction to 3 games where we'd started really poorly - he tried something different where he hoped we'd get width from the wing-backs and have two up front to prosper from that. Unfortunately, we too often slipped into a 7-1-2 formation because both Bryson and Huddlestone looked leggy and couldn't get up to support Wilson, leaving him isolated and ineffective.

I think we have to accept that (for all his quality on the ball), Hudds simply can't play 2 games a week for the rest of the season - he looked like he was running through treacle last night - and I'm afraid that Bryson is past his best - he's always relied on his energy and ability to get about the pitch, but in recent games he's been a yard off the pace and has hardly managed a completed tackle - we desperately need energy in the middle of the pitch, but we have none with these two (or rather, none that impacts the outcome of the game). Add in the fact that Holmes looks lost as a wing back and it's a worrying time just before the Forest game...

I think we’ve seen enough this season to understand the brand of football Frank wants to play. It’s vibrant and exciting to watch. The issue right now is consistency. We have also reduced the age of the squad (badly needed) but the problem with youth is they will have dips in form. We’re seeing that right now with Bogle, Holmes (inexperienced at this level) and Wilson. Early on in this season it was clear despite the business Frank did that we were light in some areas of the team, this is proving to be the case. We needed luck with injuries and we haven’t had it. Recent weeks it’s become clear how important Mount is to us but even he hasn’t been firing recently.

The fact we are still paying Anya Butterfield Johnson Blackman Pearce Thorne will be a huge chunk of our wage bill and was always going to constrain us.

In addition in recent games we’ve seen Frank the rookie manager. He’s definitely made errors with team selection both against Ipswich and Millwall that have contributed to the poor results. Im surprised it hasn’t happened earlier. We have to remember it’s his first season in management.

But all things considered Franks done a decent job. We have an identity it’s just in recent weeks the performances have gone away slightly due to a number of factors highlighted above. 1 point from Ipswich and Millwall is clearly not the form of a top 6 team and while we are still well in the mix, we are making it difficult for ourselves and we will probably fall short.

If that for some people means we should make a change, I point to Sheffield United, Norwich and Bristol City. Sheff U and Bristol won plaudits last season similar to us this season and both fell away from the playoffs. Norwich were nowhere all season but we’re finding their identity. Look at all those three teams now. They haven’t spent loads (and we don’t have cash to spend) but they are genuine top 6, with Sheff U and Norwich being top 2 contenders. They are following a similar blueprint to what we are trying to do now but it’s only worked because they stuck with their managers.

The key is having the right identity to get behind. I think we have this again now. We have the right guy but it was always going to take time.

I think we have missed some senior players to injury at a key point in the season. The cup run is most likely to blame for that. 

Losing Forsyth and Davies for the season was a blow they are booth leaders in the team Davies a lot more so. Then having your playmaker and main striker out for a lengthy amount of time is just horrendous. Any team as thin as ours would have issues vs some of the top teams in the divisions.

In my eyes missing the playoffs is a step back. We have 14 games to turn it around. 

The excuse being trotted out on here is that we're a team in transition and that a large chunk of players aren't going to be here next season. If that group of said players aren't even playing in the first team then how is that a valid reason?

If the thinking is that we can then release from the wage bill and get new blood in then Lampards dealings in the transfer market so far has hardly been exemplary so why would that be a cause for optimism

Archived