Are we Overreacting?

erathirea

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

It's no surprise that we've played best against either premiership opposition or championship teams who are willing to give us space and have an open game.

With the squad we have, we're always going to struggle against big physical sides who bully our smaller & younger players and are happy to sit back.

It's the same problem we've had for years (no effective plan B). Frank is clearly trying to find one but when it doesn't come off, is criticised for making too many changes.

I'm not just making excuses for last night but when some people say it was as bad as the 1-4 Sunderland last season, they need to have a word with themselves. We have a manager who is willing and actively trying to set us up differently for different games & I, for one, would rather that than one who stubbornly sticks to the same game plan/squad/formation and hopes for the best.

good point....?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It's no surprise that we've played best against either premiership opposition or championship teams who are willing to give us space and have an open game.

With the squad we have, we're always going to struggle against big physical sides who bully our smaller & younger players and are happy to sit back.

It's the same problem we've had for years (no effective plan B). Frank is clearly trying to find one but when it doesn't come off, is criticised for making too many changes.

I'm not just making excuses for last night but when some people say it was as bad as the 1-4 Sunderland last season, they need to have a word with themselves. We have a manager who is willing and actively trying to set us up differently for different games & I, for one, would rather that than one who stubbornly sticks to the same game plan/squad/formation and hopes for the best.

thank god for that , somebody who thinks the same as me , some derby fans need to look at the bigger picture , thanks wolfie you have restored my faith i dcfc supporters

11 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

...Yes I think Frank's made some mistakes, and I think the fact he still doesn't know his best IX (even taking into account injuries) is a little concerning... 

Totally agree.  Without a doubt, Franks biggest mistake to date is starting each game with only 9 men.  No wonder we're struggling!!  

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:56, Wolfie said:

I think in many ways that abysmal performance was as bad as the Sunderland 1-4 game. I can remember rushing back to the train station in the pouring rain with my son feeling totally deflated after the 1-4 defeat but I felt even worse after that shambles. We couldn't string a pass together, we couldn't control the ball, struggled to make a forward pass and had our first shot on target, against a relegation-threatened team with a terrible away record, in the 92nd minute. The team seems to have had the energy and confidence sucked out of them. It's like 11 strangers have taken to the field who have never met before. But this wasn't a one off, we have looked poor for the last 10-12 games. Other than parts of the Hull game and a reasonable performance against a second string Saints side, I struggle to remember when we have played well since Christmas. We are way off being a top 6 side and a mid table finish will reflect where we are at this time. Not a criticism of Frank, I think he needs the summer and another transfer window to get the squad how he wants it. So that's why I don't think I need to have a word with myself, simply my take on things....

I think the problem is that we've read this narrative over and over again the last 5 years. Get to the business end of the season in a decent position to kick on and we can't do it. We've changed the variable being the manager, that's not had an effect. It has to be the players responsibility and its frankly (excuse the pun) embarrassing. 

I thought the fans on Wednesday were patient enough and stuck with the team, but had every right to go at the team as they were so non existent on the pitch. Give us something to sing and shout about and we will back you. Serve up dross and what do you expect?These are professional athletes! It simply wasn't good enough. 

The management should also take some blame. If a system isn't working have the balls to change it before its too late. Swallow your pride and say I've got this wrong lets do something about it. Watching on and seeing nothing done about it was so frustrating. 

I wrote a while back that I still thought we would make the playoffs as the league is so poor but I'm starting to doubt we sneak 6th now as we keep missing these open goals to grab 3 points. What happened to our so called easy run of games? 

I am now thinking we are going to be marooned in this league for a much longer spell unless we see an extensive clear out of the players. 

Sentiment needs to be put to one side in the summer. Not just those with contracts up! 

Archived