George Thorne - Joined Luton Town on Loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

He's played 29 minutes over 2 games.

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The guy who took him there's ended up at stoke....reunification with Ince next season?

Thanks guys. Forgot about the manager leaving - poor old George. Hope he gets some proper gametime wherever he ends up next season.

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Nah surely the bloke with ‘King Billy Walks on Water’ isn’t a wum??

To be fair Andy Todd has more Premier League appearances in his career than Thorne does...

That statistic makes me REALLY sad

It's disappointing that Thorne hasn't taken off at Luton, but they're a seriously good team. They're well clear of second, on course for back-to-back automatic promotions, so it's not as if he's been afforded much of a chance. Luton would probably be more than a match for us at the moment. They're unbeaten in their last 25 league games! 

I doubt Thorne will ever be a fixture in the Derby side again, but we have the memories of when the boy could walk on water and pass a bowling ball through the eye of a cheerio from 40 miles. On song, for me, the best footballer I have ever seen play (and remember) for Derby County. It's just a shame it never happened after the loan spell. 

Sith Happens

I still don't get it.

I know some say he is ruined physically but he didnt look it last season when he played, when he first started coming back into the team Nov/Dec time some of his touches were superb.

I still think the formation affected him, George really does need people buzzing about him, like Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, get in the way, give it to one of them job done, play the occasional world class ball. But his best football was the simple stuff.

Rowett threw him under the bus for Sunderland and look what happened the week after, the pairing of Hudds and Ledley had a mare at Burton but Rowett had made his statement and didnt go back on it, that was that.

Going to Luton who are in form is difficult, he cames to us on loan and didnt get a game until Eustace got injured, what if Eustace hadnt got injured? He was doing nothing wrong in a very good team, we may never have signed George just because we never saw much of him.

I look at some of the performances Evans and Hudds have put in and I cant be convinced Thorne would not be a match for them, even a half fit George Thorne.

I was hoping he would shine at Luton but he isnt going to get a chance by the look of it. Was hoping Frank would see what he could do and bring him back from the cold.

I am gutted, im sure there is a good footballer there, hope he gets a chance somewhere.

33 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I still don't get it.

I know some say he is ruined physically but he didnt look it last season when he played, when he first started coming back into the team Nov/Dec time some of his touches were superb.

I still think the formation affected him, George really does need people buzzing about him, like Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, get in the way, give it to one of them job done, play the occasional world class ball. But his best football was the simple stuff.

Rowett threw him under the bus for Sunderland and look what happened the week after, the pairing of Hudds and Ledley had a mare at Burton but Rowett had made his statement and didnt go back on it, that was that.

Going to Luton who are in form is difficult, he cames to us on loan and didnt get a game until Eustace got injured, what if Eustace hadnt got injured? He was doing nothing wrong in a very good team, we may never have signed George just because we never saw much of him.

I look at some of the performances Evans and Hudds have put in and I cant be convinced Thorne would not be a match for them, even a half fit George Thorne.

I was hoping he would shine at Luton but he isnt going to get a chance by the look of it. Was hoping Frank would see what he could do and bring him back from the cold.

I am gutted, im sure there is a good footballer there, hope he gets a chance somewhere.

your view is fine and its great that you hold to it however there a number of professional football managers and coaches who disagree with you.  Sadly I can only conclude that he isn't good enough

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

THAT was the moment I officially lost it with Rowett - I was bored of his football and attitude already by then but that was the last straw - Yes, Thorne had a bad game that day but not so very much worse than others that he should never play again - Rowett pretty much publicly shamed him and then refused to pick him again - I was the same with the Nigel-Cywka incident, lad showed touches of being half-decent and with better man-management could have been but then Nigel poops on him publicly from a great height

25 minutes ago, Spanish said:

your view is fine and its great that you hold to it however there a number of professional football managers and coaches who disagree with you.  Sadly I can only conclude that he isn't good enough

3 managers - And one of them (Rowett) I don't give the time of day for

The flip side being - I do think original edition George Thorne is the exact player Lampard is looking for - Strong, good tackle, great positioning, good on the ball, great passing range - The ultimate combo of Huddlestone/Evans/Johnson - So if he hasn't been able to impress Lampard something must have gone wrong

20 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

It's probably the only thing i've ever had a little bit of inside knowledge on.. His head & fitness are up to it, his legs sadly aren't.

Do you have more detail on that? Not challenging your ITK just genuinely asking

Does it mean he can't manage more than a couple of games in a row? Or is it his 'speed' is gone? Or is it that he can't control/pass/shoot like he used to?

If he can't play many games that (for me) is a fitness thing - If the limited amount of speed he had is gone he can re-learn (Hudds isn't exactly a speed machine)

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

He threw a few players under the bus last season. Keogh, Forsyth, Butterfield, Martin, Russell. 

33 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

THAT was the moment I officially lost it with Rowett - I was bored of his football and attitude already by then but that was the last straw - Yes, Thorne had a bad game that day but not so very much worse than others that he should never play again - Rowett pretty much publicly shamed him and then refused to pick him again - I was the same with the Nigel-Cywka incident, lad showed touches of being half-decent and with better man-management could have been but then Nigel poops on him publicly from a great height

3 managers - And one of them (Rowett) I don't give the time of day for

The flip side being - I do think original edition George Thorne is the exact player Lampard is looking for - Strong, good tackle, great positioning, good on the ball, great passing range - The ultimate combo of Huddlestone/Evans/Johnson - So if he hasn't been able to impress Lampard something must have gone wrong

Does it mean he can't manage more than a couple of games in a row? Or is it his 'speed' is gone? Or is it that he can't control/pass/shoot like he used to?

If he can't play many games that (for me) is a fitness thing - If the limited amount of speed he had is gone he can re-learn (Hudds isn't exactly a speed machine)

3 managers their coaching teams, manager of luton his coaching team.  I don't think any evidence will persuade you so I will leave this now

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If your legs are in pain and they can't move as well as they used to because of past injuries, you're very unlikely to complete 90 minutes of professional football.

Barker was also convinced he could do it.

Your brain may be up for it, you cardiovascular fitness may be fantastic, but the twists, turns, bursts of pace & tackles of professional football are too much for severely damaged legs.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

3 managers their coaching teams, manager of luton his coaching team.  I don't think any evidence will persuade you so I will leave this now

I was counting the Luton manager in my 3 managers - Rowett, Lampard and Harford have decided - And coaching teams take their lead from the manager - Wassall made some positive noises about Thorne's performance for the u23s for example

You're obviously anti-Thorne or pro-moving on or whatever - I'm just open to the idea that we have a player on the books for another year still who could at some point become useful once again - I just think we might as well keep an open mind rather than a hard and fast "no" already

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

If your legs are in pain and they can't move as well as they used to because of past injuries, you're very unlikely to complete 90 minutes of professional football.

Agreed - But that's what I mean about lack of fitness - I meant fitness being about the ability to perform a specific task or activity - If he's no longer able to physically do the role he's paid for I'd say that means he's not fit for it

If it's constant pain that's probably a 'never playing again' thing - But I'd like to think a smart player like Thorne could adapt to losing mobility - I loved watching McGrath in that season we had him - The guy could barely walk and he was still immense

(for anyone who doesn't understand comparison - I'm NOT saying Thorne is as good as McGrath because that's daft - I'm simply using the analogy of another player who's legs fell apart but carried on with a decent career at a high level)

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If it's constant pain that's probably a 'never playing again' thing - But I'd like to think a smart player like Thorne could adapt to losing mobility - I loved watching McGrath in that season we had him - The guy could barely walk and he was still immense

(for anyone who doesn't understand comparison - I'm NOT saying Thorne is as good as McGrath because that's daft - I'm simply using the analogy of another player who's legs fell apart but carried on with a decent career at a high level)

McGrath played for Derby in the mid 90's, fitness wasn't a key aspect of the game back then (More alcohol was probably consumed than water by the top pro's).

I'd say Thorne was as good as Mcgrath and had the potential to be an England player.

I can remember when there was talk of Barker nearing his return. I was absolutely buzzing and thought with him back in the team we'd be nailed on promoted. That was very naive of me. He was fit, yes. But his legs didn't work.

Archived