Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s just all a bit too silly and lacks the wit of the original series.

I think it’s just outstayed its welcome.

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'll watch it, but I'm not especially looking forward to it. You're right - the first series was fantastic, witty, fresh and intriguing. It's got steadily worse since then - which is often the way when a TV show starts to become aware of it's own appeal and tries to write to order

They changed th writer after series 1 and it shows ?

20 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'll watch it, but I'm not especially looking forward to it. You're right - the first series was fantastic, witty, fresh and intriguing. It's got steadily worse since then - which is often the way when a TV show starts to become aware of it's own appeal and tries to write to order

I will watch it (but that's more of a Jodie Comer thing ?)

On 28/02/2022 at 23:52, i-Ram said:

Trigger Point. Meh. Watch it only if you enjoy wire cutting.

Finally got round to watching the last couple of episodes- what an absolute pile of Claude Davis. Crap acting, crap characters, crap story, crap dialogue - nothing positive to say about it other than thankfully it was only 6 episodes (though they then announced it would be back for another series - jeez.....)

On 04/03/2022 at 11:02, Mostyn6 said:

Binge-watched am excellent little series in iPlayer last night called The Responder. I vaguely recall someone mentioning it here and the difficulty the main character (played by Martin Freeman) has in blurry lines of conduct. Had me gripped

Saunders/10

I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Best thing I've seen in the last year or so.

Just finished This is Going to Hurt - that was really good too. A solid 7.5/10

8 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Finally got round to watching the last couple of episodes- what an absolute pile of Claude Davis. Crap acting, crap characters, crap story, crap dialogue - nothing positive to say about it other than thankfully it was only 6 episodes (though they then announced it would be back for another series - jeez.....)

I've got stuck after 2 episodes. It's one of those series that has real potential and then they screw it up.

Watched the first two episodes of the new Netflix drama, Pieces of Her last night.

Mrs Badger is enjoying it, but I'm struggling with the fact that it's ludicrous and the acting is crap.

This is no spoiler, but who on earth looks for a car in 2022 when they have the keys by trying the keys in the locks and not pressing the key fob?

I haven't had a car without a remote in two decades and the double cab truck she eventually found probably didn't even have a key, my wife's car doesn't.

Another thing that is starting to bug me with modern films, is that most hotels and every car rental company (with the latter it must have been like that for 25 years) will refuse a booking without a credit card.

I know people going on the run want to use cash, but you just can't for many things these days.

Stop the madness scriptwriters.

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've got stuck after 2 episodes. It's one of those series that has real potential and then they screw it up.

Knowing what I know this is what I would do.  Tape a baking tray to your belly. Approach your remote control with a pair of curling tongues. Gingerly carry the remote and place it in a bin. Get your wife to shout bang. Wipe your brow. Believe me, that will be far more enjoyable than watching another 4 episodes of that pile of poo.

41 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Knowing what I know this is what I would do.  Tape a baking tray to your belly. Approach your remote control with a pair of curling tongues. Gingerly carry the remote and place it in a bin. Get your wife to shout bang. Wipe your brow. Believe me, that will be far more enjoyable than watching another 4 episodes of that pile of poo.

Spolier alert - so don't moan if you've not watched it!

If you want to disable a bomb, it seems you just need to shoot it with some form of shotgun cartridge in a tube - worked several times for them so must be how you do it.....; also, use the wobbliest robot known to man to carry out really delicate bomb defusal activitties;

When a bloke walks out of a lift wearing a bomb vest - just shoot him - no chance he might be holding a trigger that could detonate the bomb;

When you see a fairly clear video of the suspected bomber, immediately decide it's one of your own team (even though it didn't look like him or the actual bomber) and break into his locker which of course has evidence pointing directly to him, then attack him in front of several senior offices because you know they won't sack you....;

If your dear (but more than a little thick) brother is sitting in a car with a bomb in it, don't even think about possibly breaking a window so he can get out - just tell him not to open the door (because of course you knew there was pressure plate under his seat even though it wasn't found until later), but rather, run off and watch the car explode with him in it; 

When you're devastated after your brother dies, run straight off and shag the shifty bloke who has suddenly taken an interest in you - then when he re-appears llike a love-sick teenager, tell him you're not interested;

If you're the most senior policewoman in the programme, movitave your team by shouting at them as often as possible;

And a couple for the programme makers - if you're going to include some strange clues to point to the bomber, don't just randomly make up a word from elements in the periodic table and then solve one of the clues 10 minutes before the end of the final programme - even the folk on Only Connect wouldn't be able to link those bit together....don't give the main character the most perculiar hairstyles that completely distract from whatever else if happening on screen......and don't (under any circumstances) kill off by far the best actor in the whole shizzleshow in the first episode.....

Edited by Gaspode

On 23/02/2022 at 08:07, Bob The Badger said:

I have to say I'm dubious of the courtroom scenes without actually knowing if it could or couldn't happen like this, BUT overall and 4 episodes in, this is pretty damn good.

Solid acting, plausible storyline (other than potentially the aforementioned courtroom scenes) and believable characters.

Not quite sure why it didn't get more publicity other than potentially because it's largely an all-black cast.

On iPlayer and a solid Simon Coleman/10

Loving this recommendation. Thanks so much.

The lead actor is incredible. The show rests entirely on his shoulders and he delivers perfectly.

Have to say the Beeb have been knocking it out of the park this winter. What with this, The Responder, This is Going to Hurt and Peaky Blinders... probably my 4 favourite dramas in the last year on any service.

All of those shows I'd highly recommend.

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Loving this recommendation. Thanks so much.

The lead actor is incredible. The show rests entirely on his shoulders and he delivers perfectly.

Have to say the Beeb have been knocking it out of the park this winter. What with this, The Responder, This is Going to Hurt and Peaky Blinders... probably my 4 favourite dramas in the last year on any service.

All of those shows I'd highly recommend.

I'll add another by the BBC that was just as good imho, although it was last summer, Time with Sean Bean.

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

??‍♂️ 
what have I told you about providing information! ??

netflix? Prime? 

You can tell me whatever you like Mr Mostyn but I already have a dad, so I doubt I'll pay much attention. On this occasion I'll acquiesce (despite the fact I know you'll hate it), but in future and to coin one of your favourite phrases, 'do keep up...'

On 18/02/2022 at 18:58, 86 Hair Islands said:

Paramount+ or the cheeky option, if you're referring to 1883. Will be available via Amazon Prime this year but date as yet unknown. 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Crime from Irving Welsh came up here a few times when it came out.

Decided to avail ourselves of the BritBox 7-day free trial and watch it.

Dougray Scott was absolutely excellent and there were some interesting characters, especially the cop with an utterly impenetrable accent and Scott's (I think intentionally) OTT boss, played by bulbous-nosed Ken Stott.

One of the IMDb knocks on it was for random story lines that were irrelevant to the main story, but I think they added to it rather than distracted as can sometimes be the case.

If you liked the Prime Suspect series, then I suspect you will enjoy this.

7.5/10

From there and prompted by the usually highly-reliable IMDb with a 8.1 rating we went for Queen of the South.

I know why they called it Queen of the South because it's about as good as the Doonhammers (of course I had to look it up - who knows that? But what a brilliant nickname).

It felt like I was watching Dynasty or Dallas with swearing and drugs.

It totally screamed SOAP OPERA and was utterly implausible.

I'd had enough in the 2nd episode when the main protagonist was surprised to be told she was in Dallas after apparently driving 2,000 km in 4 or 5 hours and then crossing the River Grande without even noticing.

2/10

Our House. Broke my rule and watched ITV again.

This one has that Scottish bloke out of Line Of Duty in it, married to a Kate Middleton wannabe. The type that's sexy enough but turns out to be too up herself and you'd hate her eventually.

They buy a house in a semi-leafy area of London in what appears to be the mid naughties, then one day, 10 years later Kate Middleton comes home to find someone has moved in claiming they have bought the house without her knowledge. We then flash back to see their life as it was before they started looking at Farrow and Ball catalogues instead of each other.

Eventually she catches him doing some drilling in the shed and it all falls apart.

For some reason they then don't take advantage of the London property boom and sell up because despite her saying 'they'd lose a poo ton of money', the house is clearly worth enough for them to buy one small house each. Instead they rent some cess pit that they take turns in sharing.

Then he has a car crash whilst on a ban and it starts to really unravel. I lost interest at this point so only half watched the rest whilst second screening the Test match so can't go too in depth about the rest of the plot, but there was nothing unique about any of it. Seemed to have a weird filter over the camera that was meant to make it gritty but just made it look like someone needed to turn a light on to be honest.

Wouldn't bother.

On topic, I've been off ill this week so binged Mad Men on Prime. Most people have seen it a million times so nothing more to add than watch it if you haven't. 

Edited by JoetheRam