Watchable telly

dog

On 22/09/2023 at 07:50, Chester40 said:

Started both of these. 

Imo- 

The Watcher was a so-so, expensive looking, standard thriller, but everyone said the ending was terrible- so I just lost interest. 

Beef - the missus liked and it was definitely different and the characters were interesting. But it started to drag a bit and there seemed way too many episodes for what there could possibly be left to say/do/happen so we took a break and haven't returned and I don't think I will. 

So similarly to you I started and didn't finish both. But thought they weren't as bad as you say   ...

I've gone back to The Watcher. Got one more episode. It's like an annoying itch. I feel like I can't ignore it. 

Anyone fancying The Continental? It's effectively a prequel to the John Wick franchise with a young Winston Scott as the central character. I know the John Wick movies weren't for everyone, but I'm told this series will be different stylistically.

I think it might be fun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6486762/

Series 1 now running FoC on Prime

10 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Anyone fancying The Continental? It's effectively a prequel to the John Wick franchise with a young Winston Scott as the central character. I know the John Wick movies weren't for everyone, but I'm told this series will be different stylistically.

I think it might be fun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6486762/

Series 1 now running FoC on Prime

I loved his Youtube fitness classes during lockdown

On 30/09/2023 at 06:11, Chester40 said:

Ted Lasso series 2 is really poor compared to the first.

The football totally disappears. Ted is in it less and the storylines are increasingly tedious and unrealistic.  Not sure I can struggle through series 3.

It’s awful. The first series was alright, but the 2nd is comfortably one of the worst ‘comedies’ I’ve seen. Backs up my theory that the US don’t do sitcoms well.

8 minutes ago, enachops said:

It’s awful. The first series was alright, but the 2nd is comfortably one of the worst ‘comedies’ I’ve seen. Backs up my theory that the US don’t do sitcoms well.

The first series was quirky and Ted was amusing. It had a heart and was a cosy watch. 

Christ knows what happened. It lost any sense of being an amusing send-up of English football and became a (slow) walking vehicle for the virtue signaling generation. Ted with mental heath issues supported by a guilt-ridden journo, a 50-ish owner in a relationship with a 20-year old Nigerian footballer who refuses to wear a kit sponsor exploiting his country...with a whistle-stop tour of bullying, the merits of counselling, men getting together to talk about their problems in the workplace, parents putting their own issues onto their children....it just went on preaching ad nauseum.

Stumbled across Patrick Melrose and it's really very good. Benedict Cumberbatch plays a man struggling with addiction and the memories that caused it.

It's not an easy watch, by any stretch, but Cumberbatch is quite brilliant in a role that could quite easily have been written for him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6586318/

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Stumbled across Patrick Melrose and it's really very good. Benedict Cumberbatch plays a man struggling with addiction and the memories that caused it.

It's not an easy watch, by any stretch, but Cumberbatch is quite brilliant in a role that could quite easily have been written for him.

I tried reading one of the novels but gave up after a while. I just didn't connect with any of the well off types lounging around swimming pools etc.

Might give the TV show a whirl on your recommendation.

Barely watchable telly:

Wilderness (Amazon Prime Video).

If you took six very average things (the episodes) and averaged them out, this is what you'd get. Cliched, hackneyed drama.

Stefan Schnoor / 10. Leffe Blond.

Edited by Eddie

Meet The Richardsons: somehow this just didn't appeal, I think I misread it that it was actually going to be a fly on the wall reality TV of two comedians. But it's not, it's a very good send up of the genre with some very amusing bits in there (particularly if you've got some miles on the marriage clock). Some genuine chortling moments in there. Well worth it.

Top Boy final season.

Two decades late getting into the brilliant The Sopranos meant we're a tad late getting into this.

But, (top) boy was it worth the wait:

Colin Todd/10.

It may be my favourite British drama of all time.

Totally unapologetic with breathtakingly realistic dialogue (we watched the last two episodes with subtitles on and then still had to look up some words), and brilliantly paced. Sparkling script

Fabulous acting and plotlines that have no reason to be there other than life is like that, weird.

Unlike Succession and Gomorrah, the ending didn't disappoint either.

I cannot believe that going back into The Sopranos seems a bit anti-climactic.

On 06/10/2023 at 08:00, BaaLocks said:

Meet The Richardsons: somehow this just didn't appeal, I think I misread it that it was actually going to be a fly on the wall reality TV of two comedians. But it's not, it's a very good send up of the genre with some very amusing bits in there (particularly if you've got some miles on the marriage clock). Some genuine chortling moments in there. Well worth it.

Actually, I'm going to update on this. The first few episodes are good, but after that it just seems to be repeats of clips from earlier episodes. The intro, same every week, is nearly two minutes long - same every week. After a while a good idea just feels lazy and bloated, trying to stretch every ounce out of every clip - the one of his doing his line for the Pixar film must have been shown about twenty times. Lazy, lazy, lazy!

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Top Boy final season.

Two decades late getting into the brilliant The Sopranos meant we're a tad late getting into this.

But, (top) boy was it worth the wait:

Colin Todd/10.

It may be my favourite British drama of all time.

Totally unapologetic with breathtakingly realistic dialogue (we watched the last two episodes with subtitles on and then still had to look up some words), and brilliantly paced. Sparkling script

Fabulous acting and plotlines that have no reason to be there other than life is like that, weird.

Unlike Succession and Gomorrah, the ending didn't disappoint either.

I cannot believe that going back into The Sopranos seems a bit anti-climactic.

Really glad you enjoyed it Bob. It's a huge favourite for the lad and I too. When you think Kano had never acted in anything beforehand too, it makes you think that some folk are entirely too talented!

Had some trepidation after arguments on set were reported and Kano apparently left the set for a week or so until they were resolved. The Sully arc is very much his own creation it would seem.  I think sometimes series like these must be hard to bring to a satisfactory conclusion and it seems this project was a case in point, but the slow build of this final series absolutely nails it. I actually went back and nailed the previous 4, prior to smashing through the last one, which I'd queued. I have a very patient GF, but whom fortunately fancies Ashley Walters, so I just about got away with it! 

Edited by Comrade 86
gibberish

On 02/10/2023 at 23:39, Comrade 86 said:

My missus mithered and mithered me to watch this... and I really hated it!!

Its really weird, in so many ways it's right in my arc - but it really bugged me.

Some things are just bland and banal.... this was almost to my taste but missed in a way that really irked me.

Put me in mind of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes in my youth - which I absolutely loved.  All a bit too smug....like watching Oscar Wilde constantly making clever-dick comments or going for dinner with Tom Cruise and your missus spending all night telling you how great he is.... nah he's full of it ha!

On 05/10/2023 at 22:26, Eddie said:

Barely watchable telly:

Wilderness (Amazon Prime Video).

If you took six very average things (the episodes) and averaged them out, this is what you'd get. Cliched, hackneyed drama.

Stefan Schnoor / 10. Leffe Blond.

Gave up after one episode. As you say so cliched.