Watchable telly

dog

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Update on The Newsroom.

I'm a tad disappointed tbh.

It has some stand-out brilliant bits mixed in with slapstick writing that feels way out of place.

Still got 4 episodes to go, but I'm not at all bothered there's no season 3.

Next up The Sixth Commandment or The Bear.

I know a few in here like The Bear, but heard good things about The Sixth Commandments, although not really in here unless I missed it.

I loved the Newsroom, but like you, the slapstick style of humour bits, didn't fit at all. 

It's a long time since I saw it, but from memory, a lot of that was in the first season. 

Either make it mostly like that, in which case I wouldn't have been watching it in the first place, or just leave that for some other show. 

7 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I loved the Newsroom, but like you, the slapstick style of humour bits, didn't fit at all. 

It's a long time since I saw it, but from memory, a lot of that was in the first season. 

Either make it mostly like that, in which case I wouldn't have been watching it in the first place, or just leave that for some other show. 

I suspect that the show was deemed too serious for its intended audience by the producers, which is kind of ironic given that the series is about a group of well-meaning newshounds directed to dumb down for a larger audience!

I've only just started watching The Thick of It (iPlayer)

I didn't used to be a fan of Peter Capaldi but having got bored of music at the gym, I started watching this instead.

Very very good, obviously.

@Stive Pesley my missus was well up for Deadloch - it's right up her street.

So we watched the first episode. She found it pretty good. I must admit though, I was laughing louder and more frequently than her.

Really tickled me. Just the 'out of town' cop who is spoiling it for me. Everyone else is kinda playing it straight for laughs but she is frankly ludicrous which keeps taking me out of it. I'm hoping it's a deliberate conceit on her part (like a ramped up Colombo) which gets dropped because its annoying.

23 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So we watched the first episode. She found it pretty good. I must admit though, I was laughing louder and more frequently than her.

Really tickled me. Just the 'out of town' cop who is spoiling it for me. Everyone else is kinda playing it straight for laughs but she is frankly ludicrous which keeps taking me out of it. I'm hoping it's a deliberate conceit on her part (like a ramped up Colombo) which gets dropped because its annoying.

100% with you on the mouthy cop.

Spoiled an interesting show 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Yep that's it. Stick with it, it's a deliberate plot point

On 07/07/2023 at 18:37, Bob The Badger said:

Started Caliphate on Netflix last night.

It's a Swedish production about a Muslim woman who has moved back to Syria and is desperate to get back to Sweden. Her husband is part of a group looking to launch a terrorist attack in Sweden, and she is feeding the Swedish security services info so she can get out safely.

Only one episode in, but seems like it's going to be good and gets 8.2 on IMDb.

The dubbed trailer sounds crap (as dubbed stuff does) so I'd highly advise watching in Swedish with subtitles.

Excellent recommendation. I’m only on episode 3 but loving it so far.

On 01/08/2023 at 05:54, Archied said:

Just finished the crowded room , absolutely brilliant , best thing I’ve watched in years ,it’s very rare you get something that just blows you away on film or tv and this was it ,

based on a true story too

Great shout @Archied 

Watched this on the weekend and thought it was great. Holland is excellent in a challenging role, as is Seyfried and despite being a lengthy 10 episodes long, the story fairly rattles along. My one tiny gripe is that they rather telegraph the hook, but as it turns out, it's insignificant in the grander scheme and I'd say this is up there with anything I've seen in the last few years. A really solid show.

10 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Great shout @Archied 

Watched this on the weekend and thought it was great. Holland is excellent in a challenging role, as is Seyfried and despite being a lengthy 10 episodes long, the story fairly rattles along. My one tiny gripe is that they rather telegraph the hook, but as it turns out, it's insignificant in the grander scheme and I'd say this is up there with anything I've seen in the last few years. A really solid show.

I read a review that said this was a tough watch. I'm not sure, as it didn't specify, what was tough about it. Any thoughts as to what they were on about?

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

I read a review that said this was a tough watch. I'm not sure, as it didn't specify, what was tough about it. Any thoughts as to what they were on about?

It's a tough watch in that it explores some very disturbing themes, but I think it does so in a way that steers clear of anything exploitative and it's certainly not graphic in terms of how these themes are illustrated. Whilst some 'dark recesses' are explored, it's sensitively and sympathetically done. 

*Sorry if this sounds vague, but it's hard to explain without spoilers! 

40 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

It's a tough watch in that it explores some very disturbing themes, but I think it does so in a way that steers clear of anything exploitative and it's certainly not graphic in terms of how these themes are illustrated. Whilst some 'dark recesses' are explored, it's sensitively and sympathetically done. 

*Sorry if this sounds vague, but it's hard to explain without spoilers! 

That's perfect. Thank you. I'll give it a go .

The Power Of Parker on iPlayer - if you like your Peter Kay, Shameless, Paul Calf, Last Tango In Halifax sort of gritty northern comedy this is a pleasing watch. Sian Gibson (the other one from Car Share) wrote it and the plot is set in the 1990s so the music is good to follow. It's a bit obvious in places (one scene where they go to a young 'uns nightclub is a rerun of something done a thousand times before) but generally it's a good watch.

On 07/07/2023 at 18:37, Bob The Badger said:

Started Caliphate on Netflix last night.

It's a Swedish production about a Muslim woman who has moved back to Syria and is desperate to get back to Sweden. Her husband is part of a group looking to launch a terrorist attack in Sweden, and she is feeding the Swedish security services info so she can get out safely.

Only one episode in, but seems like it's going to be good and gets 8.2 on IMDb.

The dubbed trailer sounds crap (as dubbed stuff does) so I'd highly advise watching in Swedish with subtitles.

Watched the final episode last night. An excellent series. Just enough loose ends for a second series I reckon if they wanted.