Watchable telly

dog

Finally got into Succession a couple of weeks ago & binged all 4 seasons.  End of the last episode I asked Mrs R what she thought...

Mrs R - "It was crap."

Ramsbottom - "Then why did you sit through it all?  I'd have been happy to watch it on my own"

Mrs R - "I thought it would get better"

Ramsbottom - Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office  

Personally I loved it.

On a side note, I used to stream all the Disney+, Peacock, FX stuff via Primewire & my Apple TV, but it looks like the authorities have caught up with them.  Any one know of any reliable alternatives that aren't full of malware???

Edited by ramsbottom

22 hours ago, Rev said:

You're telling me there isn't? 

To be fair, I avoided Happy Valley for years, assuming it would be a cross between Juliet Bravo and Last of the summer wine, you think I'd learn.

Tbh I think it wasn't that different to how you describe!  Seriously...I thought it was watchable but really not worth the huge fuss.

Have you thought about watching Cocaine Bear? Yes there is...and yes it does.!

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Tbh I think it wasn't that different to how you describe!  Seriously...I thought it was watchable but really not worth the huge fuss.

Have you thought about watching Cocaine Bear? Yes there is...and yes it does.!

I'd forgot about that film, I wonder if it's streaming anywhere?

On 25/07/2023 at 18:06, Rev said:

You're telling me there isn't? 

Tell me you haven't watched the first two minutes of Season One of The Bear without telling me you haven't watched the first two minutes of Season One of The Bear 😉

On 31/05/2023 at 09:58, ziggyram59 said:

Has anyone seen Poker Face on Sky Arts? Just seen odd trailer but looks good. 

Just two episodes in, some very obvious (sometimes screamingly obvious) homage calls to Tarantino and things like Kill Bill. Agree on the other comment that she really only has one 'schtick' but if you like it go for it. There's worse out there.

After reading about it on here, I went back to The Newsroom on Atlantic because I missed it entirely when I was in the States for some reason.

We've almost finished the first season, and I'm a bit on the fence.

It has some really outstanding elements to it, and Jeff Daniels is fantastic, as per usual.

It was really cool to see bit part politicians like Rick Santorum and the loony tune, Michele Bachmann featured. Also, the stories that I remember like that of a 92-year-old black women who was stopped from voting because she didn't have a driver's licence or passport. And the way they weaved it all together was pure genius.

But some of the script feels almost amateurish, and the subplot romance between Jim and Maggie is almost embarrassingly poorly written and acted. It's almost like Sorkin takes a few minutes off here and there, and Coco the Clown takes over.

Overall though, I'm enjoying it because so much of it is done so well and we'll definitely keep going

48 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Just two episodes in, some very obvious (sometimes screamingly obvious) homage calls to Tarantino and things like Kill Bill. Agree on the other comment that she really only has one 'schtick' but if you like it go for it. There's worse out there.

It took me a while to 'get it'. Ep 3 and 4 I thought were repetitive. But then I found I discovered the humour. How they gently and lovingly ape the 80s TV cliches.

It's not a parody. They aren't mocking. But they are playing with the stereotypes for the amusement of us oldies who remember that genre.

As the series went on I found I enjoyed it more and more and some good laugh out loud moments at times.

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

It took me a while to 'get it'. Ep 3 and 4 I thought were repetitive. But then I found I discovered the humour. How they gently and lovingly ape the 80s TV cliches.

It's not a parody. They aren't mocking. But they are playing with the stereotypes for the amusement of us oldies who remember that genre.

As the series went on I found I enjoyed it more and more and some good laugh out loud moments at times.

Just to add. One of the other things I really liked was the guest stars they hauled In for various episodes. Some actors I haven't seen on TV since the 90s putting in great performances, and a really stand out performance from Stephanie Hsu in the penultimate episode.

On 27/07/2023 at 10:43, BaaLocks said:

Tell me you haven't watched the first two minutes of Season One of The Bear without telling me you haven't watched the first two minutes of Season One of The Bear 😉

I hadn't watched a single minute when I posted that comment, honest.

I've since watched Series 1, some of the episodes twice, and still couldn't put down in words an adequate review. 

Watch it and make your own mind up, but for me it lived up to the hype. 

On 29/07/2023 at 23:16, Rev said:

I hadn't watched a single minute when I posted that comment, honest.

I've since watched Series 1, some of the episodes twice, and still couldn't put down in words an adequate review. 

Watch it and make your own mind up, but for me it lived up to the hype. 

I'm about half way through season one - my comment was a tongue in cheek reference to the *PLOT SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN IT* bear in the cage in the very opening sequence

Doff of the cap to @Bob The Badger for Caliphate tip. Terrific script and acting in a series where the tension builds and builds. 

In other news, I've pushed through most of series 1 of Schitts Creek and having had doubts, I concede it's genuinely hilarious. Not sure whether it's clever writing and they've messed with the viewers' emotions a little, but characters who were driving me nuts early on have become something very different. I'll not say more in case others haven't seen it, but it seems to be another series very much worth the time. 

12 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Doff of the cap to @Bob The Badger for Caliphate tip. Terrific script and acting in a series where the tension builds and builds. 

In other news, I've pushed through most of series 1 of Schitts Creek and having had doubts, I concede it's genuinely hilarious. Not sure whether it's clever writing and they've messed with the viewers' emotions a little, but characters who were driving me nuts early on have become something very different. I'll not say more in case others haven't seen it, but it seems to be another series very much worth the time. 

You'll like SC even more as you get into it. Not sure if I mentioned but Mrs Badger and I only now communicate on messenger using Schitt's Creek memes.

Pop Tv Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

Update on The Newsroom.

I'm a tad disappointed tbh.

It has some stand-out brilliant bits mixed in with slapstick writing that feels way out of place.

Still got 4 episodes to go, but I'm not at all bothered there's no season 3.

Next up The Sixth Commandment or The Bear.

I know a few in here like The Bear, but heard good things about The Sixth Commandments, although not really in here unless I missed it.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

The Newsroom definitely had 3 seasons. S1 was brilliant. S2 and S3 were merely good.

I loved the fast talking dialogue of the newsroom and was the first Aaron Sorkin written show I watched. Went back to watch the West Wing because of it. Being the Ricardos last year was a pretty good watch too.

Edited by therealhantsram

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Update on The Newsroom.

I'm a tad disappointed tbh.

It has some stand-out brilliant bits mixed in with slapstick writing that feels way out of place.

Next up The Sixth Commandment or The Bear.

I know a few in here like The Bear, but heard good things about The Sixth Commandments, although not really in here unless I missed it.

I enjoyed the Sixth, but probably only because of some good acting from a good few of the cast. I knew the premise of the true story so never felt any suspense or intrigue.