Watchable telly

dog

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The Gold

Story of the Brink's-Mat bullion robbery and the task force assembled to down Noyes & co. It's very good without presenting the facts or the protagonists in an entirely accurate fashion. Nice soundtrack too. Worth a watch.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14063678/

Free Stream: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0dvdttj/the-gold

The documentary is far far better

Edited by The Last Post

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Finished season 2 a couple of days back. It's a hidden gem. I love French crime series - check out Braquo if you've not already - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429534/

It's by Olivier Marchal (ex-copper) and most of his stuff is pretty good - Les Lyonnais and 36 Quai des Orfèvres two movies of his you  might like. I tend to ignore the ratings for French series and movies. They're often not representative.

Now you mention that I've defo heard it and not watched it. That shall be up next methinks. Ta.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Only! I'd normally consider 7.1 to be good and watchable, anything under 6.5 I get a bit wary of watching. 

I'm leery of going under 7.5 and there's stuff over 8 that I hate. It's usually stuff full of continuity errors and/or plot flaws like Money Heist.

Andalso stuff that gets voted highly by people because of an actor in it, or a book it was based upon. Literally the worst thing (for me) I have watched in the last couple of years was the Amazon series, Reacher.

I liked the particular book it was based on but the series was utterly pathetic and the acting laughably bad.

All of my all times faves like Top Boy, Gomorrah, Spiral, Chernobyl, BCS & BB, score in the high 8s or into the 9s.

Even more recent stuff I loved like Time, The Responder, Succession, Severance and Bosch (other than the dreadful last series) get around or above 8.

About the only thing that scores over 8 I have watched recently and didn't like was Yellowstone. I just couldn't stand the character who played Costner's daughter. I found her utterly lacking in any credibility and the script was often super predictable. Mrs B liked it though.

I'm more inclined to watch a lower scoring movie as there's not the time investment needed.

Watched the last 2 episodes of Ganglands first season and have to say I'm bummed.

It felt rushed and the writing was shoddy.

A few questions to those who have seen it that may act as spoilers to you if you haven't so stop reading.

Htf did they get out of the hotel when the Police were coming in? One minute they were in the room, he next in the car park.

Why was he still in the same hospital room 4 months later and handcuffed to a bed with no guard anywhere near him?

Why didn't the baddy kill the black girl with the mother and daughter?

The reason in the plot was that Liana would then come to get her and so Kriss could kill him. But seriously? This homicidal lunatic wouldn't have come looking for him when he'd just wiped out his sister and niece, the very niece whose kidnapping had led to the whole fiasco?

Why did Saber openly welcome his sister when she'd been plotting his downfall?

Why was Kriss the leader of a pan-European drug empire such a plank and why did he have a hotel that just happened to be worth what he owed in drug money?> I know, I know, he bought it because his dad owned it - which is what I mean about shoddy writing.

I thought this had real promise for the first couple of episodes but it totally went down the s hitter for me.

Mrs Badger enjoyed it, but she's watching season 2 on her own and we can check out Strike.

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Watched the last 2 episodes of Ganglands first season and have to say I'm bummed.

It felt rushed and the writing was shoddy.

A few questions to those who have seen it that may act as spoilers to you if you haven't so stop reading.

Htf did they get out of the hotel when the Police were coming in? One minute they were in the room, he next in the car park.

Why was he still in the same hospital room 4 months later and handcuffed to a bed with no guard anywhere near him?

Why didn't the baddy kill the black girl with the mother and daughter?

The reason in the plot was that Liana would then come to get her and so Kriss could kill him. But seriously? This homicidal lunatic wouldn't have come looking for him when he'd just wiped out his sister and niece, the very niece whose kidnapping had led to the whole fiasco?

Why did Saber openly welcome his sister when she'd been plotting his downfall?

Why was Kriss the leader of a pan-European drug empire such a plank and why did he have a hotel that just happened to be worth what he owed in drug money?> I know, I know, he bought it because his dad owned it - which is what I mean about shoddy writing.

I thought this had real promise for the first couple of episodes but it totally went down the s hitter for me.

Mrs Badger enjoyed it, but she's watching season 2 on her own and we can check out Strike.

Not sure it's really the type of show that stands up to scrutiny, like 95% of everything out there Bob. I liked the way it raced along and for me it was an easy watch. Series 2 is poor though so I recommend sparing your blood pressure and avoiding it  ? 

2 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

DARK on netflix.  It's very complicated and very dark.

Watched in German (with subtitles), it encompasses time travel and parallel universes, if you like that sort of thing. I do.

Had to watch the series 3 times to try and understand what was going on. Not sure I do entirely.

Starts well but ends up getting itself in a hole that is all but impossible to get out of. In the end you just have to go with it and smile - it's well intended.

36 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Starts well but ends up getting itself in a hole that is all but impossible to get out of. In the end you just have to go with it and smile - it's well intended.

I just finished 1899 - same writers as DARK i believe.  Good concept, and a nice period piece production.  Ending left more open questions than answers.  Not renewed for a second season, so had to make my draw my own conclusions on what was actually happening.  I won't spoil it for others if they haven't seen it yet.  Deffo a case of marmite.

56 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Back to Chernobyl...on PBS America.

Made in 2020, I saw the series, This is the story of those who lived there in their own words...holy phucking sh1t 

Seen some of the guys that were going over in helicopters saying they could taste it and some of the blokes in makeshift lead outfits who'd been on the roof at about 8000x a safe level, in interviews from a year or two ago.  Not sure how they're still here.

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Seen some of the guys that were going over in helicopters saying they could taste it and some of the blokes in makeshift lead outfits who'd been on the roof at about 8000x a safe level, in interviews from a year or two ago.  Not sure how they're still here.

Those who worked to clear the roof and encase in concrete...they called it the sarcophagus...one man called them heroes but have been forgotten, No one can live there for 4,000 years. 

North Sea Connection - BBC

An unlikely tale about a fishing family caught up in a meth smuggling operation.  Not the best but stunning Irish coast scenery and only 6 parts of 45 minutes.  7/10

Better  - BBC.  An even more unlikely tale of a corrupt female DI who is on the payroll of an organised crime boss and needs to get out.  Another 7/10 for me.

Both rank above Love island!

If you have seen the news today about the US lawyer Alex Murdaugh being found guilty of murdering his wife and son in South Carolina, the whole story is on Netflix (not including the trial) in Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal.  Worth a watch if you like true crime documentaries.

14 hours ago, NottsRam said:

If you have seen the news today about the US lawyer Alex Murdaugh being found guilty of murdering his wife and son in South Carolina, the whole story is on Netflix (not including the trial) in Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal.  Worth a watch if you like true crime documentaries.

Sounds right up my street. Cheers.