V Sheffield United (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bright side I went shopping with the missus and missed most of the second half. The thing that sticks in my mind is how easy we give the ball back after winning it. Also our passes always seem to be a yard behind the player breaking down any forward momentum we have.

The third goal was ridiculous three defenders followed the same player leaving the other free at the back post to head over to two players unmarked. Ahhh!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Xlor said:

He can't head properly, he can't kick properly, his awareness and positioning are both terrible, he's always sliding in/selling himself, I can't speak for other players but they can't have much confidence playing next to him, we've not progressed an inch in the 300 (how?) Games he's played. Even his hair is poo. Enough or shall I carry on?

Sorry mate - you can't speak for ANY players. Maybe just as well

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

First goal, Sharp got between Tomori and Wisdom; second goal Tomori was asleep; 3rd goal Bogel was asleep. 

Keogh was good.

We conceded 3 goals no one in defence was good. Time to move on from Keogh, what’s Einstein saying ???

DC0850C0-2E03-4AFC-8E7D-7D16DD5B0E5B.jpeg

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Personally I think Huddlestone gets more exposed in a holding two than a one as strange as that might sound. As the sole holding player you can just in front of the centre backs and occupy that space. In a holding two you need to press a bit more and actually get forward a bit more to help transition play which is where Huddlestone can get caught out. 

If we were to deploy a high press with that midfield, I think we'd end up getting pulled out of position too easily.

Just think Hudders lack of pace and mobility can be exposed and we can be overrun in midfield.....like we were today second half....

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't understand your point. Can a centre back not play well in defeat?

If you can’t understand after letting in 3 I’m questioning a CB then we’re in trouble  

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, fair enough. ?

But I thought his 2nd half display highlighted his problems as a defender. If he could have had two 1st halves then maybe he'd make it.

Would rather have seen MacDonald from the U23s tbh.

?

Personally feel he need more game time than what he’s had, but under Rowett and Lampard he’s struggled to play consistentlrlly. I’d always have a left footer at lb and vice versa, think quite a number of the u23’s have shown that they deserve a bit of a chance over just bench warming.

5 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I think we deserved to lose so won’t blame the ref but I have to say he was very questionable to say the least... think he and the linesman had a very poor game.

I’m not saying the ref lost us the game I am pointing out basic refereeing decisions that should be dealt with. Also two decisions given Marriott off side in the first half where replays said different.

Ok we need to put in the performance but these poor decisions don’t help.

One big issue is that the team fades as games progress. 

Maybe the combination of young players who have not experienced the slog of a championship season and some frankly old legs is not a good one. 

Seemed to be slower and not as strong as Sheffield which got worse as the game went on. Very hard to legislate for that as it is a historic issue of poor (geriatric) signings. Frank needs to be smart and lucky for the rest of the season to find an answer.

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I’m not saying the ref lost us the game I am pointing out basic refereeing decisions that should be dealt with. Also two decisions given Marriott off side in the first half where replays said different.

Ok we need to put in the performance but these poor decisions don’t help.

I’m agreeing with you... there was also a sheff u attack which was offside and wasn’t given, bookings which weren’t bookings, fouls which were bookings and weren’t booked. The officials were poor today but u fortunately especially second half so we’re we.

Quite frankly I think Keogh was our best defender today - at the very least he was one of our few players trying to make something happen from an attacking perspective and he was trying to compensate for the poor defending of the other CB and the RB. Bogle couldn't pass to a Derby player for most of the game and defnitely struggled defensively.  Tomori may as well not have been playing today - couldn't cope with either Sharpe or McGoldrick. Wisdom didn't do terribly considering he was out of position - actually thought he played better than Malone has been doing of late. Carson needs to practice his kicking and Huddlestone didn't help the defence at all today - several times put them right in trouble with dodgy passing and provided basically no cover.

Bryson should not be playing next game and if Jozesfzoon starts ahead of Waghorn again I would recommend we just sell Waghorn in January and try and fund someone else. There is no way in hell that Jozesfzoon contributes more to the team than Waghorn does. I don't care how good Zoon is in training - he's playing against our goddamn defence in training - my nan could score against them at the moment.

No complaints about Marriott - at least he was trying to make something happen, but the gap between him and our midfield/wingers seemed like a yawning chasm today. Movement in the rest of the team not existent after a brief spell in the first half. Thank god we have someone who can take good freekicks. Shame about our ability to take corners or create chances from open play today- basically didn't threaten their goal for almost the entire match.

If we want to stand any chance of even a point against Leeds or Norwich I would consider bringing Pearce in for Tomori and potentially playing with two holding midfielders - those two would be Evans and Thorne if both fit. It won't help us from an attacking perspective, but we need more of a solid base to start building from or we aren't going to get anywhere.

Archived