V Swansea (h) match thread

RiddingsRam

Thought we were sluggish from 60 onwards. Especially in midfield..... that goal came from Mount losing possession when something easy was on. Looked very tired towards the end, but sometimes a win like that is good..... great to get 3 points, we are a young team..... crack on to Wigan 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Still overseas but excellent result after the stoke disappointment 

looks like our current best midfield was back in action Huddlestone Bryson and Mount - Marriott injury a bit of a concern 

Swansea still have some good players so still a good result.

i noticed that some on here target Bryson as the main scapegoat as Forsyth is now injured - the joys of being loyal and good at your job 

No concerns with Marriott.....Frank said in his interview it just a badly bruised foot.He could have played but would have been compensating for it so they decided...a rest was best he will be fine for next week.

Looks like its just me then that thought that was an awful watch. Swansea are the worst team ive seen at P.P in a long time and in the second half we made them look far better than they are, by sitting back and trying to soak up pressure. The atmosphere in the ground was non existant as well.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Was a corner deliberately drilled in toward Carson who they knew wouldn’t claim anything as he hadn’t all day. That weakness is gonna keep being exploited unfortunately.

It was a corner no fault on Carson who punched a few crosses away today...the issue was which two players ducked under it at the near post and should have cleared it Left Tomori in a awful situation just a yard out and under pressure.

2 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

It was a corner no fault on Carson who punched a few crosses away today...the issue was which two players ducked under it at the near post and should have cleared it Left Tomori in a awful situation just a yard out and under pressure.

Surely anything in his 6 yard box he's got to claim. He has the advantage of being able to use his hands and getting free kicks easy.

Standing on his line there's about a handful of players on both teams it can bounce off.

But before all that we gave away momentum. Blind hoofs from Keogh, Malone, Huddlestone, Wilson... daft first time headers that just needed bringing down under no pressure by Malone, Huddlestone, Bogle and Bryson.

And the midfield fell into the trap of thinking Swansea were there to make the numbers up. 

Before the hour mark the game management and decision making was spot on. 

9 minutes ago, superzak said:

Looks like its just me then that thought that was an awful watch. Swansea are the worst team ive seen at P.P in a long time and in the second half we made them look far better than they are, by sitting back and trying to soak up pressure. The atmosphere in the ground was non existant as well.

Sounds like you're saying they are rubbish but we made them look good for 45 minutes?

I think they're a midtable team we made look very poor for maybe just over an hour. Cruising and creating chances. Lawrence and Bryson having the best chances of the game

I haven’t read much yet but all in all a good game from my POV. Despite commentators saying Swansea had nothing, I thought they had some quick, bright players who just lacked a final touch/shot. Both Bogle and Malone struggled at times with pacy opponents but they stuck at it. Malone worked his socks off and was a danger going forward. Bogle’s confidence has dipped a bit. 

Huddlestone oozed class as always but there were occasions where he got lucky having been just a tad too super cool casual. Never the less at this level in a game like that he does look like the maestro.

A shout for Nuge who got nothing but gave everything and lead the line very well. He chivied up his partners and drove us. We had a hatful of clear cut chances and on another day could reasonably had 4 or 5 goals.

Harry Wilson .. take a bow. Signed copies of his left foot now on sale. How can such a little lad hit a ball that hard?  ???

Tom Lawrence .. always a threat but he needs to do some simple stuff and lift his head up. It’s a team game mate

Mount getting a bit sharper and had a good game but he isn’t at full power yet and the same can be said for Bryson who could have had 2 today if he been sharper or played less safe, that’s not a criticism, because his off ball intelligence and work rate is excellent . I predict he’ll have a blinder against Wigan .. he needs a couple of games to bed in after an injury. Wednesday and today were them. 

Keogh and Tomori .. did well I think. Both missed the odd header but Keogh bailed Bogle out from that daft high back pass and Tomori shut down that slippery number 20 late on.

Carson .. can’t blame him for the OG. Looked in charge and loved his tennis shot hand bat that nearly lead to a cracking break.

iritating to have to hang on in a game that we should have / could have killed by 60 minutes but I’m happy with 3 points and a competent rather than brilliant display 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How have we ended up conceding so many own goals this season? It's a bit bonkers.

I didn't realise it was (an OG) until I read that... then subsequently checking the highlights and match report! 

(My NE corner aisle seat view was fully impeded by the usual 85th minute fire drill exodus!  I only saw the actual corner kick, then nothing until the players started trundling back to the centre spot!  LOL!)

Just missing out on a much missed clean sheet seemed bad enough.  This makes it worse!  LOL!

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Surely anything in his 6 yard box he's got to claim. He has the advantage of being able to use his hands and getting free kicks easy.

Standing on his line there's about a handful of players on both teams it can bounce off.

But before all that we gave away momentum. Blind hoofs from Keogh, Malone, Huddlestone, Wilson... daft first time headers that just needed bringing down under no pressure by Malone, Huddlestone, Bogle and Bryson.

And the midfield fell into the trap of thinking Swansea were there to make the numbers up. 

I’ve been pretty complimentary, I suppose it’s about 3 points and the relief but I also think you’re right .. we were very good for 60 minutes and could have been 4 up. Then we got into, first casualness and then nervous daftness. 

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I didn't realise it was (an OG) until I read that... then subsequently checking the highlights and match report! 

(My NE corner aisle seat view was fully impeded by the usual 85th minute fire drill exodus!  I only saw the actual corner kick, then nothing until the players started trundling back to the centre spot!  LOL!)

Just missing out on a much missed clean sheet seemed bad enough.  This makes it worse!  LOL!

As I say we’re going for the longest streak without a clean sheet to add to our list of records.. if the opposition won’t score we score for them!

23 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’ve not been his biggest fan but I thought Jayden Bogle was much, much better today.

Really??

I thought Bogle really struggled today, no confidence going forward first half, always looking to do anything but cross the ball when high up down the flank, and was on toast defensively especially second half. Stopped 1 cross all match.

Teams are going to test us Down both flanks now as malone is looking shaky.

sort this out and we will be looking like contenders IMO, as there was some quality played today, the little flicks were actually paying off for a change. If only Laurence had put that chance away . It would’ve been remembered as an easy win, however we made hard work of it last  10 mins

39 minutes ago, superzak said:

Weird, you are usually so optimistic and satisfied.

Decent game. Should have scored at least two more and it would have been very enjoyable. 

Swansea are developing a young side. James and Rodon did quite well. Mcburnie did a good impression of steve claridge / iwan Roberts. But they caused us very few problems and we won despite displaying an over whelming desire to pass sidewards and backwards at times.

I quite liked the look of us when we lost nuge and had all of our mobile attacking midfielders on the pitch at the same time with lawrence central.

(see my proposed line up). 

We managed to find a way to concede, even though we left it late. 

15 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Really??

I thought Bogle really struggled today, no confidence going forward first half, always looking to do anything but cross the ball when high up down the flank, and was on toast defensively especially second half. Stopped 1 cross all match.

Teams are going to test us Down both flanks now as malone is looking shaky.

sort this out and we will be looking like contenders IMO, as there was some quality played today, the little flicks were actually paying off for a change. If only Laurence had put that chance away . It would’ve been remembered as an easy win, however we made hard work of it last  10 mins

I agree with this, going forward we are as good as anything  in this division, but our full backs need to stop crosses going into our box, because it puts to much pressure on us, Bogle is young and has time to learn, I would take him out of the team, so he can regained his confidence, as for Malone, not his biggest fan, but he does work hard, not bad going forward, but his defensive side of the game, needs to improve. 

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've had concerns about Carsons' lack of command in the 6 yard box all season but in all honestly I wouldn't apportion any blame on him for the goal. The corner was hit quite flat and should have been headed away by the defenders covering the near post and edge of the 6 yard box. 

Archived