What You Heard in the Stand?

Coneheadjohn

On 03/12/2018 at 09:55, Smyth_18 said:

I heard a bloody strange one that lasted a while and spiralled further and further out of control in the South Stand..

A Swansea player was down injured in the second half and a bloke shouted something along the lines of....

'Play on its not a head injury! He's not nearly dead! And if he is shoot him! If you're looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary! Between poo and Syphilis!'

I spent the next 15 minutes a) Working out how the hell that just came out of somebodies brain/ mouth? b) Working out if it would be in between those 2 words in the dictionary. Surely there would be quite a few words between them 2? c) Thinking that surely poo isn't in the dictionary? d) questioning my whole existence.

a) I agree with the bloke.

b) Yes, it is between those two words (as are many other words)

c) Depends how comprehensive your dictionary is, it's in most.

d) You post. therefore you are.

P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

I believe it relates to 26th December 1978. Forest 1 v 1 Derby.

Guessing there was a small bout of festive fisticuffs.

I was 18.

Its all a bit of a blur now but I have vague memories of drinking cans of some rubbish beer like McEwans Export or Double Diamond in slab square at 9.00am. Strangely there was very little trouble in town but it kicked off massively near Trent Bridge before and everywhere else after the game.

Forest were on the up then, we were in decline and it seemed every Derby fan wanted to punch a reddog.

Most did.?

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

It changes with time, starting off with the smell of excitement and expectation, followed by partial satisfaction, but by January/February its an aroma of being absolutely gutted, blending into mild disappointment by May/June. 

The "Aroma cycle" is a fairly consistent model, having operated this way for several years, but the club's scientists have successfully managed to introduce a much longer lasting smell of optimism and hope which has let its present be felt for most of the season so far.

You could market that,Eau Du Derby/ Excitement and Expectations  to be worn August to January.

Then Eau Du Dissappointment to be worn January till the end of May.

On 03/12/2018 at 09:55, Smyth_18 said:

A Swansea player was down injured in the second half and a bloke shouted something along the lines of....

Could you hear my rant all the way from the South Stand? Must have been really projecting...

I admit to having gone on a tirade against one of their CMs for being actually injured - Having got so fed up with their RB rolling around on the floor every time someone breathed near him - The chap who kept getting back up immediately after he realised the ref wasn't paying him any attention but stayed down long enough that we put the ball out of play

I admit mine wasn't the most logical but it might have been better than my south stand compatriot though

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was 18.

Its all a bit of a blur now but I have vague memories of drinking cans of some rubbish beer like McEwans Export or Double Diamond in slab square at 9.00am. Strangely there was very little trouble in town but it kicked off massively near Trent Bridge before and everywhere else after the game.

Forest were on the up then, we were in decline and it seemed every Derby fan wanted to punch a reddog.

Most did.?

I can remember going wi mamma Hilda in 1979? At their ground . Sum one chucked a pig's head on't pitch . Oh how we laughed

12 hours ago, Owd miner said:

I can remember going wi mamma Hilda in 1979? At their ground . Sum one chucked a pig's head on't pitch . Oh how we laughed

This is true. I know the person who threw it on and also remember the problems getting it past the police at the train staion and then getting it into the ground.

On 04/12/2018 at 16:17, Smyth_18 said:

Digressing a bit but I too was at that game. How we got a draw I will never know althougn one highlight was seeing John Robertson miss a penalty. I went with a mates Dad who was a Forest fan so had to go in with them. It was fun cheering at the miss and seeing a load of big blokes look around wondering who was doing it. Then glaring at a kid with a big grin on his face!

On 04/12/2018 at 16:17, Smyth_18 said:

Man City also sing the same song to United. I thought it was just a generic chant?

16 hours ago, Ramos said:

Man City also sing the same song to United. I thought it was just a generic chant?

16 hours ago, Spanish said:

I agree

It's a generic song for any team that has previously played a local derby on Boxing Day, and who claim to not only have been involved in some sort of indecorous behaviour, but also to have appeared "victorious" in said  incident(s).

I believe that back in the day, when Bank Holiday public transport was nowhere near as easily accessible as it is today(!), and each street shared just the one motor car, I believe it was quite common for local derbies to be played on Boxing Day, hence most team's supporters reflecting on, and indeed celebrating, such similar "victorious" romps!

...Catchy little number though!  One of my favourites!  :-)

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

It's a generic song for any team that has previously played a local derby on Boxing Day, and who claim to not only have been involved in some sort of indecorous behaviour, but also to have appeared "victorious" in said  incident(s).

I believe that back in the day, when Bank Holiday public transport was nowhere near as easily accessible as it is today(!), and each street shared just the one motor car, I believe it was quite common for local derbies to be played on Boxing Day, hence most team's supporters reflecting on, and indeed celebrating, such similar "victorious" romps!

...Catchy little number though!  One of my favourites!  ?

To further add to this, Man City have never played United on boxing day, discounting the 1898 fixture against Newton Heath, which I believe passed off without incident. Maybe a few flat caps were blown away on the open terracing, but nothing severe.

One of Sheffield Wednesday's most famous victories over their city rivals however is known as the Boxing Day massacre, 4-0 in 1979. Which you'll note is precisely one year after the Forest-Derby ruckus. So it would seem likely Wednesday, as usual, copied one of our chants. ?

Sometime in a far away time, a bad bad time where we kept losing in the last minute of games, this particular game we were 3-1 up v Barnsley at the Baseball Ground I heard a lone fan in the Ossie End in the last five mins shout out...

" Come ON Derby...we can STILL win this..."!!! 

Archived