Ethan Ampadu - Joined RB Leipzig

Parsnip

22 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

How many of our youngsters have promotion experience? Dowell has, in a position where we are short on bodies. Low financial risk and proven quality, I don't really understand your objection?

One season wonders at best for us. I want 2,3 or 4 seasons of quality not just a cameo to get experience/match for for the parent clubs. One/two loans max but now we seem to be pinning our hopes on a team full prem league reserves. We are Derby County ffs

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

One season wonders at best for us. I want 2,3 or 4 seasons of quality not just a cameo to get experience/match for for the parent clubs. One/two loans max but now we seem to be pinning our hopes on a team full prem league reserves. We are Derby County ffs

Unfortunately Derby County  have been overtaken by the clubs that used to be our whipping boys back in the day .Tell a youngster that Spurs ,Arsenal ,Man U etc  were regularly turned over by the Rams and they look at you gone out .We are where we are and we need to get used to it, we have been left behind  even by clubs such as Bournemouth etc.

49 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We've made one signing so far so it's far too early to say that. I agree we need some permanent signings but loans at this level are sensible; I'd rather have had Mount for one season than not at all...

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

We've made one signing so far so it's far too early to say that. I agree we need some permanent signings but loans at this level are sensible; I'd rather have had Mount for one season than not at all...

Well I disagree and I’m starting a movement (like storm Area 51) #nomoreloans.....who’s in? 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Literally nobody.

Didn’t expect any less to be honest. Blinkered by the bright lights of the Prem and selling our soul to get there. 

16 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Unfortunately Derby County  have been overtaken by the clubs that used to be our whipping boys back in the day .Tell a youngster that Spurs ,Arsenal ,Man U etc  were regularly turned over by the Rams and they look at you gone out .We are where we are and we need to get used to it, we have been left behind  even by clubs such as Bournemouth etc.

You’re right Kev, but I wouldn’t go as far as Bournemouth. They are just having a day or two in the sun, it’ll all end in tears and melted ice cream.

(now watch em qualify for Europe and make me look really stoopid ?). 

Just now, TexasRam said:

Didn’t expect any less to be honest. Blinkered by the bright lights of the Prem and selling our soul to get there. 

Selling our soul? For getting players on loan? That's a bit melodramatic.

Your posts seem to suggest you've been around long enough to remember us in our heyday, so without wanting to go all Forest and start living in the past, you need to realise we are a Championship team and have been for 10 years. I'm nearly 30 and have seen more lower division football than I have top division. I have no problem with that, I'm under no illusions of grandeur.

We use every resource available to us to better the team and try and win games - who knows, maybe eventually we may get to the Premier League and actually compete. To think we're above loans or too noble to have them is just ludicrous. They're players that can add quality far above what we can afford to have permanently - we're not talking the loans of 10 years ago where we're meant to get excited about Jamie Vincent here.

It’s not as if loans are a new phenomena is it?  I’d probably agree that all things being equal I’d like to either bring in permanent signings and/or ‘grow our own’, but equally why cut our nose off to spite our face if there are loans out there that can genuinely improve us?  

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Selling our soul? For getting players on loan? That's a bit melodramatic.

Your posts seem to suggest you've been around long enough to remember us in our heyday, so without wanting to go all Forest and start living in the past, you need to realise we are a Championship team and have been for 10 years. I'm nearly 30 and have seen more lower division football than I have top division. I have no problem with that, I'm under no illusions of grandeur.

We use every resource available to us to better the team and try and win games - who knows, maybe eventually we may get to the Premier League and actually compete. To think we're above loans or too noble to have them is just ludicrous. They're players that can add quality far above what we can afford to have permanently - we're not talking the loans of 10 years ago where we're meant to get excited about Jamie Vincent here.

I think 1/2 loans would be enough but they should be squad additions not someone we build our team around. Examples: we have a huge gap to fill from last season now we’re we built the team around the 3 loans. Jordan Ibe, played out his skin for us and was called back leaving another hole and the season went downhill from there.

I do think getting loans in as a marquee signing is selling our soul. Build organically with 2-3 outs and 2-3 perm signings each year, if it takes another 5 years so be it.

I think we've only been meaningfully linked with loan moves or free transfers, by that I mean where a known journalist with some sort of track record has pinned his colours to the mast. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we don't pay a transfer fee for someone this summer, especially as we only have a couple weeks left. If we fill our loan quota, I think that will probably be it. 

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think 1/2 loans would be enough but they should be squad additions not someone we build our team around. Examples: we have a huge gap to fill from last season now we’re we built the team around the 3 loans. Jordan Ibe, played out his skin for us and was called back leaving another hole and the season went downhill from there.

I do think getting loans in as a marquee signing is selling our soul. Build organically with 2-3 outs and 2-3 perm signings each year, if it takes another 5 years so be it.

I understand your sentiment with losing key players who were only here on loan, but what is the point in borrowing "squad additions" who will play occasionally without improving on the players they're replacing. Clubs are also unlikely to lend anyone that is being used as squad filler, or at least not premier or championship clubs who will expect either big loan fees or guaranteed playing time.

Archived