Dread of playoffs?

Archied

Apart from the obvious that they can be a heart breaking lottery ,if we were to reach them this year would us fans go into them with a better mindset than last year especially and other years in general ? I know my gut feeling last year was that we really were only in them to make up the numbers barring some massive luck and that was fostered by our managers approach to them , this year and this week in particular has been a breath of fresh air with a manager and players confident to go out and take anybody on with not a hint of negativity in our ranks ,, only Leeds of the top sides this season have looked a class above us in a game and that in my view was very much because we weren’t ready for them in our development stage

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. I would like to finish in the top two, obviously, but if not I will gladly accept the playoffs. 

I think our style this season makes us a good cup side. We will go for it and a glorious win at Wembley in the playoff mini-cup would be a fitting finale for some of the champagne football we have been watching in recent games. 

However, it has taken us a while to get here and we have no idea whether we can sustain this throughout a long hard Championship season so I am not getting carried away - yet.

I just want to see good football getting the rewards for once, instead of the dour percentage thuggery that some teams favour as the way out of this league.

Watched leeds match on sky and they were nowhere near as good as when they played us.

sheffield united are the only team i'd prefer to avoid. We have no need to fear any of the others having already done ok against most.

a bit premature to worry about anyway.

I will be shell shocked if we are not in the playoffs as a minimum and even top 2 is poss in my view , you can tell from nterviews that frankie is really starting to settle in to the role , gone already is the novice really excited to be in his first role ,replaced by a man with calm cool determination who knows what it takes to succeed and is smart enough to instill that in those around him and don’t forget we have a window in January with a team playing great style  football and a manager good players will que up to play for,,, believe people ,believe

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Watched leeds match on sky and they were nowhere near as good as when they played us.

sheffield united are the only team i'd prefer to avoid. We have no need to fear any of the others having already done ok against most.

a bit premature to worry about anyway.

At this stage of the season last year, Fulham weren't even thought about, neither were Villa. There is almost a guarantee a team will come out of nowhere and become a real solid team towards the end of the season.

You shouldn't be allowed to start a thread remotely linked to the play-offs this early in the season. A lot can change between now and next May. Remember, we may not have been playing that well this time last season but I'm sure confidence at the end of October was a lot higher than it was by the end of the season. I seem to recall we'd just won four on the bounce (including away wins at Norwich and Leeds) preceded by three draws including away at Cardiff and Brentford.

I say, let's see where we stand/how we're performing at the end of Feb/March, by which time we'll be well into the period of our previous annual collapse, before we mention it again.

If I was an impartial gambling man I'd definitely have 50p each way on derby winning the league. 10/1 at the moment. Maybe a cheeky double on Derby winning the league and Frank winning manager of the season if bookies do those kind of bets. 

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

If I was an impartial gambling man I'd definitely have 50p each way on derby winning the league. 10/1 at the moment. Maybe a cheeky double on Derby winning the league and Frank winning manager of the season if bookies do those kind of bets. 

A fool and his money? 

3 hours ago, Archied said:

I will be shell shocked if we are not in the playoffs as a minimum and even top 2 is poss in my view , you can tell from nterviews that frankie is really starting to settle in to the role , gone already is the novice really excited to be in his first role ,replaced by a man with calm cool determination who knows what it takes to succeed and is smart enough to instill that in those around him and don’t forget we have a window in January with a team playing great style  football and a manager good players will que up to play for,,, believe people ,believe

I think you need to temper your expectations buddy and not get carried away after three very good results.

There are far too many decent teams in the championship to be talking about being shell shocked. Apart from the second half against Sheffield United, pretty much the whole 90 minutes against WBA and the first half an hour against Boro we're not blowing teams away sufficiently to be talking with such confidence.

Having said that, I'm very happy with progress to date but wouldn't be gutted if we just missed out this year given it's Franks first ever and the number of changes (style and personnel) we've seen. 

Expectations are bound to increase amongst fans, and I am sure Frank and Jodie will be no different ,wanting to see continuous progress and improvement amongst the players and as  a team collective.

Sure Frank s present expectations aren't any less than the fans and is seriously contemplating us competing at the top of this division ,unless unmitigated circumstances unfold.

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Those bets aren't independent.  The former occurring would hugely influence the probability of the latter (in fact if Derby win the league I'd say FL winning manager of the season is nearly guaranteed). So even if such a bet were available the price offered wouldn't be too much better than the 10/1 offered on Derby at the moment, 

However, Derby winning the league, and Marriott finishing as top scorer (although also linked bets) would offer a huge return.  Who knows he is only 8 behind at the moment, we may as well dream big?  ?

One good week in October and there’s talk of the play offs !

Each to their own of course, but it seems to me that the teams who tend to do well are the ones who just focus on the next game and develop a ruthless and relentless approach to those games. Then see where it gets them at the end of the season.

They let others worry about where they are going to end up ,  connecting  about their ideal finishing position.

We already know that this season is going to be fantastically open in the championship - a few hours can take you from top to the edge of the playoff positions.

We have no divine right to be successful  and currently at least a dozen clubs have a very valid shout at getting up this season 

Hopefully no one at the club will be talking about the end of the season just yet.....

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think you need to temper your expectations buddy and not get carried away after three very good results.

There are far too many decent teams in the championship to be talking about being shell shocked. Apart from the second half against Sheffield United, pretty much the whole 90 minutes against WBA and the first half an hour against Boro we're not blowing teams away sufficiently to be talking with such confidence.

Having said that, I'm very happy with progress to date but wouldn't be gutted if we just missed out this year given it's Franks first ever and the number of changes (style and personnel) we've seen. 

These are not unrealistic expectations that because we are derby county we should succeed and if we don’t reach them this season then it’s failure so sack frank and throw the baby out with the bath water ,rather it’s gut feeling based on what I’m seeing in terms of progression and the way we are going about the job now and how/what we are seeing building ,, you temper all you want mate I’m gonna enjoy and believe in a young team/ squad being guided by a fresh manager with good staff and the right attitude to the game ,,,,Peter pan ,someone here does not believe?

Archived