Dread of playoffs?

Archied

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Archied said:

These are not unrealistic expectations that because we are derby county we should succeed and if we don’t reach them this season then it’s failure so sack frank and throw the baby out with the bath water ,rather it’s gut feeling based on what I’m seeing in terms of progression and the way we are going about the job now and how/what we are seeing building ,, you temper all you want mate I’m gonna enjoy and believe in a young team/ squad being guided by a fresh manager with good staff and the right attitude to the game ,,,,Peter pan ,someone here does not believe?

Fair enough and I share and admire your confidence. I just feel being shell shocked would be a bit of an over-reaction given the points I made namely, it's a little early in the season, there are plenty of other decent teams, the changes that have been made and it being Franks first ever season. 

2 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Each to their own of course, but it seems to me that the teams who tend to do well are the ones who just focus on the next game and develop a ruthless and relentless approach to those games. Then see where it gets them at the end of the season.

Hopefully no one at the club will be talking about the end of the season just yet.....

I think this will be Frank's attitude too.

A laser like focus on the next game only, until the end of the season, and let everything else take care of itself.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough and I share and admire your confidence. I just feel being shell shocked would be a bit of an over-reaction given the points I made namely, it's a little early in the season, there are plenty of other decent teams, the changes that have been made and it being Franks first ever season. 

Can go with shell shocked as perhaps a bit ott wording ?

9 hours ago, jimbobram said:

At this stage of the season last year, Fulham weren't even thought about, neither were Villa. There is almost a guarantee a team will come out of nowhere and become a real solid team towards the end of the season.

Got a feeling that team might be Stoke...

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Absolutely ridiculous to be discussing the play-offs right now. It should be blindingly obvious to all and sundry that we're going to win the league. 

What a load of poo, everyone knows our season was over in August....just ask our Mexican friend.

4 hours ago, BobbyD said:

One good week in October and there’s talk of the play offs !

Each to their own of course, but it seems to me that the teams who tend to do well are the ones who just focus on the next game and develop a ruthless and relentless approach to those games. Then see where it gets them at the end of the season.

They let others worry about where they are going to end up ,  connecting  about their ideal finishing position.

We already know that this season is going to be fantastically open in the championship - a few hours can take you from top to the edge of the playoff positions.

We have no divine right to be successful  and currently at least a dozen clubs have a very valid shout at getting up this season 

Hopefully no one at the club will be talking about the end of the season just yet.....

Exactly... "Team"... Not Fans!

Whilst I'd  agree that it's far too early for any sane person to be discussing play off's, and whilst I'd also agree with the highlighted paragraph in particular, what gets discussed on here won't affect things one iota, come May.

Yes, talk of promotion/play off's now could leave certain folk with egg on their face, but it ain't the team that's doing the talking.  Nor is it Frank, Mel, or anybody else employed by the club. Whatever gets spouted on here will have no bearing whatsoever on our league standing when its time to hand out the honours.

Let those that like to dream, dream!

11 hours ago, Archied said:

Apart from the obvious that they can be a heart breaking lottery ,if we were to reach them this year would us fans go into them with a better mindset than last year especially and other years in general ? I know my gut feeling last year was that we really were only in them to make up the numbers barring some massive luck and that was fostered by our managers approach to them , this year and this week in particular has been a breath of fresh air with a manager and players confident to go out and take anybody on with not a hint of negativity in our ranks ,, only Leeds of the top sides this season have looked a class above us in a game and that in my view was very much because we weren’t ready for them in our development stage

Yes play offs more likely outcome this season for DCFC. Very close league again. Anyhow, that's how it works so we just have to keep banging on the PL door via the play offs and hope that it eventually opens. 

12 hours ago, Archied said:

Apart from the obvious that they can be a heart breaking lottery ,if we were to reach them this year would us fans go into them with a better mindset than last year especially and other years in general ? I know my gut feeling last year was that we really were only in them to make up the numbers barring some massive luck and that was fostered by our managers approach to them , this year and this week in particular has been a breath of fresh air with a manager and players confident to go out and take anybody on with not a hint of negativity in our ranks ,, only Leeds of the top sides this season have looked a class above us in a game and that in my view was very much because we weren’t ready for them in our development stage

Of course we’d all love an automatic promotion, preferably as Champions but it’s a long hard road full of those fine lines.

but yes Archied .. my mindset would be very different. We may or may not be able to play winning football on any given day but I am absolutely certain that we have the underlying ability to do it more than any time in the last 10 years. And if we do it wouldn’t be lucky, or a smash and grab. It would be deserved .. and earned with skill and effort. 

Imagine the state of this thread when we loose our first game in February ?

Personally, i think the play-offs are the best way to be promoted. If we were guaranteed promotion, i would always choose the play-offs. 

But, lets keep a grounded approach to the season and enjoy the football we're playing before we get carried away 

Archived