v Bolton Wanderers (A) Match Thread

Boycie

2 hours ago, Saity said:

Marriott for Nugent and Jofezfoon for Bennett ?

Agreed, the rest pick themselves at the moment. Lawrence will have to wait his turn, lost his place following a moment of rash stupidity & no ones let us down since. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would bench Bennett. Still can’t see him as more than an impact player in the last 10 mins.   Marriott and Waghorn hopefully might get a fair bit of game time, and show some evidence of their qualities. I wouldn’t start Lawrence either; he needs to prove himself from the bench.

3 hours ago, Doodle said:

What’s Forsyth done to you? We have tried 2 attacking full backs and it doesn’t work. Think it’s either malone and Wisdom in or stick to the other two. Proper balance that way. Surely Waghorn or Josefzoon deserves the nod if Bennett is being dropped. Lawrence needs to atone for his last performance with a spell on the bench 

Nothing at all, I like Forsyth and would have no problem in him playing, he wasn’t exactly shy in coming forward on Tuesday as well as Bogle so don’t see that being a problem. Forsyth is one of the older players and might benefit from a bit of a rest and Lampard has said its a squad game that was all.

Again with Lawrence I think Lampard might go with him, again he’s fresh and might want to atone for his sending off by putting in a performance but if he went with any of Bennett/Waghorn/Jozefzoon I would have no problem.

Same with Marriott and Nugent, do you reward Nugent for his workrate and previous performances or Marriott for coming on and scoring and sticking his penalty away?

I mentioned it in the Tomori thread but we may need to tweak our approach to these sorts of games. 

Out strengths are; pressing it in numbers and moving it forward quickly and incisively. Our biggest weakness seems to be contesting for the ball in the air. 

As with Millwall and Rotherham we’re going to see Bolton happy to launch it to Magannis and they’re going to be happy sitting in.  

We’re going to struggle pressing a team that are ‘one-touch, bang!’, there aren’t going to be the pockets that Mount and the wingers find particularly regularly and their main form of attack exploits our weakness.

We may have to play more patiently, play more controlled football, get camped in their half and instruct BJ to screen rather than back-up play. 

10 hours ago, cannable said:

I mentioned it in the Tomori thread but we may need to tweak our approach to these sorts of games. 

Out strengths are; pressing it in numbers and moving it forward quickly and incisively. Our biggest weakness seems to be contesting for the ball in the air. 

As with Millwall and Rotherham we’re going to see Bolton happy to launch it to Magannis and they’re going to be happy sitting in.  

We’re going to struggle pressing a team that are ‘one-touch, bang!’, there aren’t going to be the pockets that Mount and the wingers find particularly regularly and their main form of attack exploits our weakness.

We may have to play more patiently, play more controlled football, get camped in their half and instruct BJ to screen rather than back-up play. 

This is an excellent point. All the teams so far except Leeds we looked good against play it on the deck. Southampton, Wolves, Brentford, Man Utd. We probably won’t roll them over easily. 

On 27/09/2018 at 19:57, DCFC1976 said:

Nothing at all, I like Forsyth and would have no problem in him playing, he wasn’t exactly shy in coming forward on Tuesday as well as Bogle so don’t see that being a problem. Forsyth is one of the older players and might benefit from a bit of a rest and Lampard has said its a squad game that was all.

Again with Lawrence I think Lampard might go with him, again he’s fresh and might want to atone for his sending off by putting in a performance but if he went with any of Bennett/Waghorn/Jozefzoon I would have no problem.

Same with Marriott and Nugent, do you reward Nugent for his workrate and previous performances or Marriott for coming on and scoring and sticking his penalty away?

Marriot to start for me. His blistering pace would give our whippet a race (almost). 

Although every game is tough in the championship I think Norwich will be a tougher game on tues so I'd give Marriott the nod in front of Nuge and Jozefzoon for Bennett tomorrow as i think Mason although still ok was probably for me just slightly off of it on tuesday night.

My team against Norwich would see Nuge come back in and maybe Waghorn for Jozefzoon depending on performances against Bolton and let Bennett impact the game from the bench, i personally would not start Lawrence in either game ...just my view 

Archived