Bradley Johnson

cannable

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confidence player, when he's on it, hes bloody good, when he's bad, he's bloody awful.

The first 5 minutes often determines his game, the first pass sometimes, if he floats a 40 yard pass to someones feet and the fans clap..confidence up, gonna have a good game.

What I do like about Johnson is his physicality and aerial ability. He brings steel to the midfield, you need some bite in the midfield and he certainly brings that. 

His passing has let him down over the last couple of seasons and Lampard looks to be bringing this into his game.  He was excellent on Saturday.

Obviously just my opinion but I thought he played better on Tuesday than Saturday in terms of passing. I'm sure there are some stats somewhere that prove me wrong. I like him as a player, and his interceptions are massively helped by the great pressing the rest of the team are doing at the minute. Especially Bryson and Nugent higher up, even Mount. Think Bennett has been guilty of being a bit lazy when it comes to pressing.

3 hours ago, Paese said:

...Especially Bryson and Nugent higher up, even Mount. Think Bennett has been guilty of being a bit lazy when it comes to pressing.

It's amazing how we all see a different game isn't it? I was impressed by how much ground Bennett covered.

37 minutes ago, ck- said:

It's amazing how we all see a different game isn't it? I was impressed by how much ground Bennett covered.

It doesn't always need to be about effort though. There was one instance late in the game where Bennett got an earful from Nugent. It wasn't because Bennett wasn't closing down, he'd covered the yards to get close to his man, but he took up a poor position and failed to adequately narrow the angle of the pass for the Brentford defender. That's the kind of knowledge that tends to come with experience though as your aging body incentivises you to work smarter, not harder.

25 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Have been able to watch much this season unfortunately, how has his general ball retention been in games ? 

That's always been my biggest complaint with him.

I recall a few misplaced passes in our poor performances. He's been Bradley Pirlo in our better performances.

I think most of his poor play comes from dropping deep often. If he only has to drop deep and literally help out the defenders a couple of times a game his performances are much better. 

If he's dropping back every other minute, a symptom of our poorer performances, the passes are riskier and as such a higher quantity of them go to the opposition. I think he also gets stressed out in those games. Most of the time he's receiving the ball from a defender being pressed, and is being pressed himself.

1 minute ago, inter politics said:

Not a big fanand his dawdling lead to their equaliser but he was excellent tonight, well done Bradley

I thought that initially and maybe instinct should have led him to just get rid first time seeing as it was the 95th minute but watching it again it's clear he didn't get a shout. That was a chance to clear, Tomori also could have done better, maybe Wisdom too. Oh well. 

His performance overall was superb though, he had a lot of space and he used it well. What we're currently seeing from BJ is a skillset that's been absent since his arrival, Frank and Jodie working some magic with him. 

Archived