Few idiots spoil the day

B4ev6is
Message added by Day

Full appeal: http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2018/September/15-Sept-Police-appeal-for-information-after-Rams-crowd-trouble-in-Rotherham.aspx

Officers are continuing their enquiries following crowd trouble at the match between Rotherham United and Derby County at New York Stadium on Saturday, September 15.

During the game, a female Derby fan was hit by a seat thrown from the stand where Derby fans were based. She required hospital treatment for her injuries.

If anyone has any information regarding this matter they can contact PC 2179 Roger Brown by email on derbyshirefootballunit@derbyshire.pnn.police.uk.

9 hours ago, superrams23 said:

Soo because you can’t but standing tickets people shouldn’t be able to enjoy theselfs in which ever manner they choose? 

Correct.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue is for those that don't want to stand they dont know who they are likely to get in front.  Its clear some would sit down or offer to move but also clear some feel that by actually wanting to sit you are at fault and you shouldn't spoil the other persons enjoyment by asking.

Plus if you move what if the people in front then stand, how often do you have to move to be able to see?

Its one reason i choose not to go to away games, its not fair on my elderly dad to have him getting up and down moving seats,  and i dont want it either.

Good riddance im sure some will say. 

I actually might enjoy safe standing as understand you would have something to lean on. 

I do despair when i read a post from someone which essentially says why should i sit down and spoil my fun because you want or need to sit down. Its that attitude that annoys me. 

If clubs and the leagues considered standing was safe surely they would have standing and seating zones. I dont think they invented all seating stadiums just to spoil everyones fun.

Clearly stewards cant just go throwing people out, its likely they would get someone who only stood through the domino effect. 

8 hours ago, AdamRam said:

I also don’t beleive it’s an offence, I take it you know for definitel it is?

Obviously standing is not a criminal offence, that would just be silly.

However, I am pretty certain that there were some regulations implemented that made persistent standing an offence at stadia that MAY result in you being ejected.

On this basis the local authorities are also able to not issue or withdraw safety certificates if clubs are unable to control persistent standing within the stadium. 

I think if you read the back of your away tickets there will normally be some guidance regarding the clubs right to remove you for persistent standing. 

Just my take on it and I could be wrong. Pretty sure there would be lots ready to take action against clubs if they were removing people for standing without the necessary powers. 

10 hours ago, superrams23 said:

But at the cinema there is no reason to stand up soo people don’t and if it’s selfish that a few people have to stand to watch the game because the majority want to stand then having to sit down for the few that want to sit down must be what? 

Well that would be the rules! The law if you like. All seater stadiums were made compulsory a while ago on safety grounds. I get that this is about what YOU want from your point of view, but the fact is that those who prefer to sit have every right to expect to sit and be able to see because that’s what the law is. Why is there even an argument about this? If you stand you are in the wrong! 

QPR wembley.  I have a seat in second row on one of the tiers.  Guy in front of me (front row unrestricted view) insists in regularly standing whilst having telephone conversations during the game.  I asked him to sit down to which I was told that he would 'knock my block off' if I asked again.  Anybody who insists on standing is a selfish cretin and I can only assume that they carry this selfish attitude through to everything they do.  I may be wrong but I guess they jump queues, use mobile phones whilst driving, park in disabled bays etc and see it as nothing more than doing what they want to do

11 hours ago, superrams23 said:

But at the cinema there is no reason to stand up soo people don’t and if it’s selfish that a few people have to stand to watch the game because the majority want to stand then having to sit down for the few that want to sit down must be what? 

Disabled? Elderly? Young? Have long term health conditions?

How selfish of those people for not being as physically able to stand as some. 

How do you know the majority want to stand? Just your opinion, my opinion is the majority stand because some insist on standing regardless.

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

At the back your not in the way of anyone or brothering anyone.

It's not a choice it is a rule for the safety of everyone.  God knows what would happen if some idiot fell and started an avalanche of people given seated stands are much steeper than the old terraces.

Surely the clue is in the ticket - it's called a seated area for a reason. I get that there are limited standing areas in modern stadia but that's what is says on the ticket, that is the condition of purchase, that is what is being asked of you- no matter on your own personal view of what might be fun.

Then, when safe standing does come along, I look forward to the discussion on here 'I decided to sit on the terraces, it was spoiling my fun to stand, why couldn't everyone else sit down as well, why should I stand in a standing area when it was obviously more fun to sit down'.

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Obviously standing is not a criminal offence, that would just be silly.

However, I am pretty certain that there were some regulations implemented that made persistent standing an offence at stadia that MAY result in you being ejected.

On this basis the local authorities are also able to not issue or withdraw safety certificates if clubs are unable to control persistent standing within the stadium. 

I think if you read the back of your away tickets there will normally be some guidance regarding the clubs right to remove you for persistent standing. 

Just my take on it and I could be wrong. Pretty sure there would be lots ready to take action against clubs if they were removing people for standing without the necessary powers. 

That’s my point though, imo people who are saying it’s an offence, breaking the law etc are not correct in their interpretation. When buying a ticket you are entering into an agreement with the club that states you may be ejected for persistent standing, it does not state what this constitutes, it’s not law (well it may be civil I suppose).

Therefore it is the club that will decide what is persistent standing, Derby manage this quite well IMO by allowing like minded fans to sit/stand together, and most away games I have been to this has worked well. There are going to be times when this doesn’t work, and hopefully common sense will prevail.

Seems to be though people are jumping on a bandwagon condemning anyone who dare admit they like standing at a football match, citing they should beheaded for such treason. Whats next condem the bounce because it has swearing in it, this also is within the contract you are agreeing to ?

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Seems to be though people are jumping on a bandwagon condemning anyone who dare admit they like standing at a football match, citing they should beheaded for such treason. Whats next condem the bounce because it has swearing in it, this also is within the contract you are agreeing to ?

No not the case, I’m trying to say that it’s selfish and actually those who have their enjoyment ruined by people standing are in the right when asking to be able to sit down. Stop trying to make us out to be poor fans who are miserable. 

The way I look at it is this ,at PP if I want to sit I go in the East,West or North stands .If I get a ticket for the South stand I expect to have to stand .When I go away I also expect to stand as the majority do  as  do most  of the visiting fans to PP . 

I personally have no problem with this and I guess the answer is if you don't like the status quo then don't go.

On Saturday at Rotherham there were big notices up and an announcement that stewards WOULD make everyone sit down - of course, they did nothing and when asked by someone near us about it, just shrugged their shoulders.

If given a choice, I would probably stand at away matches, but I would prefer if this was in a safe standing area. 

Where’s this idea that the vast majority of our away support want to sit down come from ?

Rotherham was our first sell out of the season so undoubtedly there would have been some issues but before this at least 80% our away followings have stood with loads of space to move around to get a better view if you wanted to sit, especially at Millwall, Hull and Reading .

I do understand the frustrations of folk that would like to sit , but standing at the football isn’t exactly a new craze that’s taken off recently . It’s been done for decades and will I imagine be continued for many decades to come . If you want to go to away games but sit down then you have to back the safe standing campaign . It is as much about you than it is about those that want to stand . 

9 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

No not the case, I’m trying to say that it’s selfish and actually those who have their enjoyment ruined by people standing are in the right when asking to be able to sit down. Stop trying to make us out to be poor fans who are miserable. 

Nothing wrong with asking people to sit down if they are in your way, I get that and hopefully they would oblige, however you stated it’s law, and it’s wrong.

I merely pointed out that  if managed well, that all parties can be happy.

25 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

That’s my point though, imo people who are saying it’s an offence, breaking the law etc are not correct in their interpretation. When buying a ticket you are entering into an agreement with the club that states you may be ejected for persistent standing, it does not state what this constitutes, it’s not law (well it may be civil I suppose).

Therefore it is the club that will decide what is persistent standing, Derby manage this quite well IMO by allowing like minded fans to sit/stand together, and most away games I have been to this has worked well. There are going to be times when this doesn’t work, and hopefully common sense will prevail.

Yeah take your points on board. 

Guess I was brought up in a different era where courtesy and manners were more important than my own enjoyment. 

Don't have a problem at all with people standing, as long as it is not affecting anybody that doesn't want to.

Hi, I’m David, and I like to stand at football games. That’s why I purchased my season ticket in the South Stand.

I have a problem though, every bugger round us wants to sit. Frustrating as I believed it was generally accepted without advertising that the South Stand was for standing, getting behind the team. The club can’t advertise it as that because of the laws placed upon them.

I’m another one of those tall guys that refuses to sit in the back of the car, tries to avoid cinemas because sitting for long periods with my knees up in my face is not comfortable. Legroom in football grounds are shocking.

I personally always look to buy a stair seat, that way if I do end up in an area where I need to sit I can stretch out onto the steps or if I have a smaller person behind that didn’t eat their weetabix I will edge myself out on to the steps to give them a clear view. 

I know people are quoting the terms and conditions, but it’s widely accepted across all clubs that away fans stand.

Chances are though you could end up in an area where fans want to sit which is their right to, in which case the polite thing to do is to sit down if you’re unable to switch seats. Of course you’re going to get a few undesirables that tell you where to go. 

All comes down to a bit of give and take, consideration for those around you. If you go into a game with the mindset I’m standing regardless, screw everyone else, you’re a bit of a tool as that person behind you may have good reason why they can’t stand. 

Safe standing simply has to come back. Absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t. This would solve all these issues instantly without relying on 2000+ humans to be considerate to one another which is a huge ask.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/the-legalities-of-standing

The point is confirmed by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport: ‘At no point has it been argued that the individual spectator commits a criminal offence by standing in a seated area’ (Source: Letter to Football Supporters’ Federation, 2008)

Standing in seated areas, is, however, contrary to ground regulations. For example, the Football League’s model set of ground regulations states: ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

There are two types of law, criminal law and civil law.

Criminal laws are offences against the state (‘illegal acts’), such as smoking in enclosed public places. Police may become involved with enforcing criminal laws.

Civil laws are contracts between two parties, such as agreements to purchase home insurance.

The ground regulations of a club (including the ban on persistent standing) form a contract between the supporter and the club. Entering the stadium is a tacit agreement to accept the ground regulations.

By standing, the supporter is in breach of that contract. This is a civil, not a criminal matter.

Archived