The last 5 minutes of a match.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At games, I hope to be in the “singing area” so I can belt out some chants to take my mind of the nervous wreck im becoming.

recent years, I don’t get to as many matches as I would like, and following on tv involves a lot of pacing and shouting, which my kids find highly amusing.

following on radio/love updates is bloody horrible, I must look like a drooling, jibbering wreck.

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Ritual?I like the sound of this,could you elaborate?

Well sorry but It doesn’t normally involve sacrificing anything! Fairly dull really. More likely staying in a certain position or keeping hold of the coffee table (touching wood)...too late to go find my lucky socks! ? 

When I had a season ticket it was always ‘I’m in control as I’m watching live’ so even games like 1-7 v Liverpool or the 0-4 v Wolves at BBG I felt sort of ok as I had witnessed everything. Nowadays with SSN Jeff gives me palpitations with the classic ‘Theeerrressssss beeeeeeen a  late late goal at Pride Park, it was 1-1, Derby were doing all the pressing but whooooos got it Bianca?’ Serious serious heart in mouth moment (not just to do with Bianca-or that other lady- I promise you) ??‍♂️?

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well sorry but It doesn’t normally involve sacrificing anything! Fairly dull really. More likely staying in a certain position or keeping hold of the coffee table (touching wood)...too late to go find my lucky socks! ? 

If i’m Watching on TV I find that sitting on the floor very close to the screen really helps 

36 minutes ago, SKRam said:

When I had a season ticket it was always ‘I’m in control as I’m watching live’ so even games like 1-7 v Liverpool or the 0-4 v Wolves at BBG I felt sort of ok as I had witnessed everything. Nowadays with SSN Jeff gives me palpitations with the classic ‘Theeerrressssss beeeeeeen a  late late goal at Pride Park, it was 1-1, Derby were doing all the pressing but whooooos got it Bianca?’ Serious serious heart in mouth moment (not just to do with Bianca-or that other lady- I promise you) ??‍♂️?

Oh I hate that bit too ... there’s been a goal ... heart in mouth ... pause .... wait... hurry up man I can’t stand this ?

7 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Of a match,winning,losing or drawing.

Watching live on a screen or listening.

If we’re winning by a single goal I find it unbearable and usually pace around the house,sit on the toilet or go out.

Losing,I will be throwing a strop.

I do realise that anyone who sits in the East Stand will be on their way home at this point.

What do you do?

This could be me.

At Wembley for the WBA play-offs i was in the concourse for the last 5 minutes peeping out every 20 seconds or so to see where the ball was. I think it's because over the years we seem to concede so many late goals.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was hoping you were going to do us a little dance or some roboting.

At the match I just want a win, last 5 minutes are great when this is happening, especially at away matches, and it makes the day / weekend when we win, losing puts a little dampener on it, however after a few beers that’s forgotten.

Watching it on TV or listening, Meh, there is no passion, football is all about enjoying it with your mates, it’s about the laugh before and after. I can never understand armchair supports (those who have no other option I can), but for me it’s no where near the experience of attending a match, loseyou switch off put the Xbox on and pretend to be a footballer against people you’ve never even met, nah that’s not for me, last 5 minutes are same as all others. Great If we win, but lose and it’s forgotten straight away.

8 hours ago, sawley_ram said:

I'm an East Stand Ram and never leave before full time!

I don't drive anymore so no traffic to worry about. If we're winning and it looks safe, opposition staying back, etc. then we'll be debating where to have a swift pint on the way back to the station, if we're losing we'll be debating whether or not we can get a jog on to get the earlier train. Never ever leave before full time though and always applaud the team.

Same

41 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

At the match I just want a win, last 5 minutes are great when this is happening, especially at away matches, and it makes the day / weekend when we win, losing puts a little dampener on it, however after a few beers that’s forgotten.

Watching it on TV or listening, Meh, there is no passion, football is all about enjoying it with your mates, it’s about the laugh before and after. I can never understand armchair supports (those who have no other option I can), but for me it’s no where near the experience of attending a match, loseyou switch off put the Xbox on and pretend to be a footballer against people you’ve never even met, nah that’s not for me, last 5 minutes are same as all others. Great If we win, but lose and it’s forgotten straight away.

I agree with the bit about away matches - we just sing louder, especially if we are under the cosh. It may or may not help the team to hang on, but in my mind it does.

At home I usually alternate between encouraging the team on and moaning about the people in the aisles blocking my view! 

Quite often the final few minutes of a game age me by several years! When I’m at the game I have to keep pretending I’m checking the time so I don’t have to watch all of it. At home, watching I kick every ball and am exhausted by the end. When listening, I check all the other media outlets to see if it’s finished on any of them - but I don’t want it to be in case it’s not good news! I’m constantly amazed how dcfc can make me so irrational when normally I’m very much a feet on the ground person.

10 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Of a match,winning,losing or drawing.

Watching live on a screen or listening.

If we’re winning by a single goal I find it unbearable and usually pace around the house,sit on the toilet or go out.

Losing,I will be throwing a strop.

I do realise that anyone who sits in the East Stand will be on their way home at this point.

What do you do?

I don't really get how you are pacing round the house while east standers are leaving yet you are east stand upper ? Is it because you went at half time ? 

Anyway I'm one of many east standers who stay to the end, however the main reason for my reply is to suggest a way to make it worse at the end of games for the nervous types as I think fans are deprived of exciting finishes to games nowadays with the endless substitutions I would like to see a rule change of no subs after 85 mins. Let's see 90 plus minutes of watchable football.

1 hour ago, 41826 IWT said:

I don't really get how you are pacing round the house while east standers are leaving yet you are east stand upper ? Is it because you went at half time ? 

Anyway I'm one of many east standers who stay to the end, however the main reason for my reply is to suggest a way to make it worse at the end of games for the nervous types as I think fans are deprived of exciting finishes to games nowadays with the endless substitutions I would like to see a rule change of no subs after 85 mins. Let's see 90 plus minutes of watchable football.

We don’t always go to the games,when we do we stay unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

The pacing around is if I’m at home.

At a close game 88 mins, home or away, go toilet...... weak bladder.

At home listening close game, after cursing Ramage, usually switch off and check back later, allowing sufficient injury time.

Nights like last Tuesday, happy to put up with even irritating Daws.

If I’m at the game (in the East right till the end) I’ll often have my scarf pulled over my eyes. 

If im at home for an away match I’ll go to the bathroom or into the kitchen away from tv/phone and listen if anyone in the house is groaning or cheering. Stopped listening to Ed and Craig, they always make it sound like we’re about to concede 

Archived