Fans - Palace vs Liverpool

JoeDerby

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Every league you mention there was done and dusted by Christmas last year....and throw the pub league in Scotland into that too....they are all poop....the real league is the Championship....

Well we definitely agree on that.

This place just has too many La Liga touters, I thought you were joining them ? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Every league you mention there was done and dusted by Christmas last year....and throw the pub league in Scotland into that too....they are all poop....the real league is the Championship....

Must have been relieved when Zamora popped up with that winner at Wembley. Close call that!

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

what about Penge ! hotbed of palace support !! ?

Never been but here's from Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pengé

"Proper noun: Frenchified form of Penge, a south London suburb which is full of pikeys and as rough as a badger's arse. It has recently enjoyed an influx of gentrifiers who are desperately talking the area up. If pronounced 'ponjay' (with a very soft 'j') an estate agent will add £2500 to the price of your crack den with a blocked toilet."

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Never been but here's from Urban Dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pengé

"Proper noun: Frenchified form of Penge, a south London suburb which is full of pikeys and as rough as a badger's arse. It has recently enjoyed an influx of gentrifiers who are desperately talking the area up. If pronounced 'ponjay' (with a very soft 'j') an estate agent will add £2500 to the price of your crack den with a blocked toilet."

love that @Carl Sagan !! "ponjay" ha ha !!!! I spent many a happy day in my youth around Ponjay !! my nan used to live there and my cousins so went down there every school holiday, had my first beer in a pub in ponjay, also lost my virginity in a grave yard in ponjay !! great place !! it looks like its not improved much !!

56 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I do genuinely believe that the atmosphere is much more negative than most other clubs. For some reason, our fans expectations are much higher than most in this division, we are going to lose games along the way, it's football.

The stick that Forsyth got lost year was nothing short of shocking, a cracking servant to Derby County, returning from a serious injury and he got mocked and booed - disgusting. If a player has a bad game, hes the worst player in the world, if he has a good game the week after, he's amazing.. really?

I'm asking for the 'fans' to get behind the team or stay at home and watch it on the TV.

Fair enough. I share you desire to hear supporters getting behind the team throughout but I still don't think we're really any better or worse than the majority of other clubs.

I also share your hatred of booing and mocking. I remember getting slated for criticising OB a couple of seasons ago for joining in the "if Blackman scores I'm on the pitch" voices, at Rotherham I seem to recall. To quote Thumper from Bambi ?     "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all" (you should ignore the double negative there)

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough. I share you desire to hear supporters getting behind the team throughout but I still don't think we're really any better or worse than the majority of other clubs.

I also share your hatred of booing and mocking. I remember getting slated for criticising OB a couple of seasons ago for joining in the "if Blackman scores I'm on the pitch" voices, at Rotherham I seem to recall. To quote Thumper from Bambi ?     "If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all" (you should ignore the double negative there)

I've been to the vast majority of Championship grounds in recent years (excluding Forest) and the thing that I very seldom hear at other grounds is the early groaning and general moaning of home supporters, whereas it is really audible at Pride Park.  If I have to name another club with a large home support that does this I'd say Norwich.

I'd say it is expectation that drives this reaction. Sometimes clubs with smaller followings are much more behind their team.

However, I  compare to Leeds, with their similar large home crowds and they never give up even  when losing. Wolves were the same prior to last season, although last year they were even noisier with the season they had.

I think we've a long way to go to be considered a supportive crowd.

2 hours ago, Rambam said:

Holmesdale. I remember it being a terrace that held 23,000. I was there when they got 51,482, officially, though it was probably over 60,000, 1979 v Burnley, to secure promotion to the old Division One. Now in those days the Holmesdale really rocked! 

The only time I have seen Selhurst rock was when Status Quo played there. 

17 hours ago, philmycock said:

Lots of fans can be brilliant when they're on their uppers, Plymouth fans at PP were amazingly loud

Plymouth fans at the last game of the season when we got promoted in 87 at the BBG under Arthur were amazing.

I *think* it was the first year of the play offs and they had a tiny mathematical chance of squeezing in.

Of course we won and they missed out, but they gave Derby a massive ovation.

All about expectation.

Expecting a win against deemed inferior opposition and you’re losing, being outplayed, the atmosphere is going to be dead.

Expecting a loss against a deemed superior opposition (In this case 100% superior opposition as Liverpool are top 10 in the world right now) and you go 1-0 down, but you’re on the front foot and pressing, then obviously the crowd is going to respond and get behind the team.

As Duracell and other have mentioned, let’s see if Palace fans are so vocal and supportive when they’re back down here, favourites for promotion and they’re 1-0 down at home to Bristol City, being outplayed.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I've been to the vast majority of Championship grounds in recent years (excluding Forest) and the thing that I very seldom hear at other grounds is the early groaning and general moaning of home supporters, whereas it is really audible at Pride Park.  If I have to name another club with a large home support that does this I'd say Norwich.

I'd say it is expectation that drives this reaction. Sometimes clubs with smaller followings are much more behind their team.

However, I  compare to Leeds, with their similar large home crowds and they never give up even  when losing. Wolves were the same prior to last season, although last year they were even noisier with the season they had.

I think we've a long way to go to be considered a supportive crowd.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. 

By no means a record but I've also been to 17 of the current 24 championship grounds and stand by my assertion that we're probably no different to most other supporters.

I have no evidence to support my belief. I don't know about your experiences but, I only visit another teams ground once a year and therefore can't really form an opinion on what the crowd are like week in/week out. I also sit with the away fans and, I'm sure you'll agree, it's not always easy to hear mumbling and grumblings from the home crowd.

Sigh.

Perhaps we could try, just for one match, every Rams fan being supportive, with no moaning, groaning, whingeing, and just see if it makes a difference? Forsyth gives the ball away? Try shouting encouragement at him. Goal scored against us off a Keogh deflection? Don't dwell on it, just drown out opposition fans celebrating. Does anyone think those players don't feel embarassed or frustrated enough already without being told they're rubbish and need to do one? Do you not think in that moment they might benefit from being told to get their head up, get stuck in and keep going?

Doesn't even matter if everybody joins in the singing, but just as a baseline, for one match, getting behind the team no matter what.

Would be interesting to see, but will never happen.

And before people start saying it doesn't happen anywhere else, why should that make a difference?  Why can Derby not be somewhere that sets a precedent?

People moan about fans like the Holmesdale, and some of what they do is really cringeworthy, but so what, they're having a go and trying to play their part, they should be applauded for it. 

Anyway, somehow this is an issue which really splits people for some reason, between those who can see the benefit of positive, loud and continuous support, and those who can't. Fair enough.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Well we definitely agree on that.

This place just has too many La Liga touters, I thought you were joining them ? 

Behave yourself....that is the worst league of them all... any league where Raul Albentosa can make a living must be in a ridiculously bad state..

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

love that @Carl Sagan !! "ponjay" ha ha !!!! I spent many a happy day in my youth around Ponjay !! my nan used to live there and my cousins so went down there every school holiday, had my first beer in a pub in ponjay, also lost my virginity in a grave yard in ponjay !! great place !! it looks like its not improved much !!

I’ve deleted what I typed as we’re a family forum but...

41 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Sigh.

Perhaps we could try, just for one match, every Rams fan being supportive, with no moaning, groaning, whingeing, and just see if it makes a difference? Forsyth gives the ball away? Try shouting encouragement at him. Goal scored against us off a Keogh deflection? Don't dwell on it, just drown out opposition fans celebrating. Does anyone think those players don't feel embarassed or frustrated enough already without being told they're rubbish and need to do one? Do you not think in that moment they might benefit from being told to get their head up, get stuck in and keep going?

Doesn't even matter if everybody joins in the singing, but just as a baseline, for one match, getting behind the team no matter what.

Would be interesting to see, but will never happen.

And before people start saying it doesn't happen anywhere else, why should that make a difference?  Why can Derby not be somewhere that sets a precedent?

People moan about fans like the Holmesdale, and some of what they do is really cringeworthy, but so what, they're having a go and trying to play their part, they should be applauded for it. 

Anyway, somehow this is an issue which really splits people for some reason, between those who can see the benefit of positive, loud and continuous support, and those who can't. Fair enough.

It makes a difference. I played to a half decent amateur level - we used to get crowds of around 100. In one game, I fluffed my cross (I was a left back) and got dogs abuse from the supporters for not being able “to kick a ball”. Later in the game, I took a corner and played it flat to the edge of the box. We scored - and the same section of the crowd still gave me abuse.

Strangely enough I didn’t take another corner that game. Clearly i wasn’t a professional - but it does affect people - it’s just human nature.

Archived