Can we have some agreement?

Chester40

This forum is just getting out of hand. I don't know what to believe anymore....

Obviously I jest. But in all seriousness it is definitely the most divided on style, on players and performances I can recall.

There will always be detractors and trigger happy fans; but there is usually some consensus and a general mood.

At the moment having missed the last two games.... I am not sure if we started a bit slowly, played some nice stuff and should feel positive. Or we were truly terrible?

Whether we are playing nice football and need to stick with it or are ridiculously naive and going to get caught out til we change?

Whether the formation is fine, just needs players tweaking or if we need to throw it all out and got 3-5-2?

Player-wise....I just don't know where to start. Tomori is either an amazing, athlete and a real prospect or dog dirt.

If Wisdom is either a lump of ponderous muscle or needs moving to a back 3.

Keogh tbf always divides opinion.

Forsyth seemed to be permanently dumped to the pleasure of most yet now is back in the frame for Tues having replaced someone we just bought having had half a match.

Bryson is absolutely past it...or central to the system and needs moving forward.

Ledley started the season as a crucial player...now appears totally done.

Huddlestone who a good proportion of the fans were happy to sell, now has become a demi- God in his absence. Nugent likewise was being waved off, now looking like most likely to score.

I could go on.....

So, is there any agreement? And is there lots of reason for positivity?  

Are we going to click tonight and play lovely flowing football. Or get thrashed and looked amateurish and a new group of players get hammered tomorrow??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I think there needs to be a bit of expectation management.

This. About players old & new, management, owners, style of play, etc. We're starting again, so we must base our expectations on where we are, what we see and how long we've been trying the new stuff for. #simples

Everything’s Black or White nowadays, opinions are polarised, and everyone wants to voice their opinions as loudly and as often as possible. 

Having and voicing an opinion is more important than being right these days. 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Huddlestone who a good proportion of the fans were happy to sell, now has become a demi- God in his absence.

It happens. I was happy to sell Hudds a couple of weeks ago due to the sheer volume of central midfielders we have on the book. Now, having realised all of them are crap - Hudds is in fact a demi-god and must be retained at all costs. Unless he comes back and he's crap.

I think many fans including myself got sucked in and carried away with the signings, the type of football lampard and co discussed in pre season and the wins over Southampton and wolves. I think many fans expected a sudden change in the style. I’d hazard a guess a lot of derby fans were hoping our play would somewhat resemble Leeds style against us. Quick passing, lots of movement, swarming the opposition. 

Instead so far from the 2 games I’ve been to we have struggled to keep the ball and there hasn’t been as many positive signs as I’d hoped. I didn’t see millwall. But so far we look defensively weaker, as you’d expect with more attacking focus but within that limbo we are being bettered. Hopefully we see signs of marked improvement soon but I feel we need Davies and huddestone back ASAP. 

We are 4 games in.

The optimists will look and be certain that FLs plan will eventually turn us into Man City.

The pessimists will believe that our players are not good enough to implement FLs plan. 

The realists probably think somewhere between the 2.

Football is a game of massively differing opinions. Doubt you will find any subject in the whole of football where everyone agrees, well not since Sepp Blatter was removed from the game.

Well I walked in this morning and spoke to a guy about the game and he said Keoghs got to go and Tomori is a demi-god. 

I was pretty sure tomori gave away the free kick naively that lead to the first goal and deflected the shot that was going wide into his own net. But it’s all Keoghs fault!!

can’t remember what Keoghs general okay was but it’s all very odd what people think sometimes.

12 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well I walked in this morning and spoke to a guy about the game and he said Keoghs got to go and Tomori is a demi-god. 

I was pretty sure tomori gave away the free kick naively that lead to the first goal and deflected the shot that was going wide into his own net. But it’s all Keoghs fault!!

can’t remember what Keoghs general okay was but it’s all very odd what people think sometimes.

People who praise Tomori get suckered by his physical attributes. He's strong and quick and doesn't get beaten for pace when attackers run at him. What they're missing is his poor positioning and naïve decision making. That doesn't make Tomori a bad player. It's normal for young centre backs to make those kind of errors. I'm generally not in favour of loaning young centre backs for this reason though. It's a position where errors are often punished and the young loan players will be a long way from being the finished article as centre backs don't peak until their late 20s. Tomkins is the only loanee in that position I can remember looking anything like steady. Andrew Davies was a season long nightmare, and even Keane looked weak and soon lost his place to Bucko.

I'm happy at the moment, not surprised we are stretched in defence with Davies missing and a novice centre half in there. That will be put right when he comes back. 

Going forward we look good and just suffering a bit from the influx of new players adjusting to each other’s styles.

I expect them to settle in and start being more productive shortly.  

I've certainly been entertained so far and think our winning streak will begin soon. 

Archived